Barcelona

mariamva2

If you mean the airport at 11 a.m.,I suggest you go straight to the ship, about 30 mins. away, unless you especially want to see some of Barcelona. You should be able to board at noon or very shortly after,and have a leisurely lunch at the Colonnade, and then go to your suite about 2 p.m. Time then to meet your stewardess and unpack before boat drill.

We did want to see some of Barcelona but didn't want to carry suitcases around. I would love to have a nice lunch and glass of wine on the ship but also want to see Barcelona a bit. Decisions-Decisions #firstworldcountryproblems :'). Maybe we will go straight to the ship, have lunch and get off the ship for a little bit to explore.

There are a couple of open top buses that stop at the port - tour is about 2 1/2 hours which could just give you time to board at 12, have a bite to eat, do the bus tour and get back to the ship in time for the ships drill - (hopefully :D)

If you are there before noon might be worth just leaving your bags at the ship and going off to explore Barcelona first. There aren't really any lines or much waiting but it still takes some time to settle your photo, swiping your credit card etc. The later you turn up the less people there will be trying to get on at the same time.

Bear in mind that it is obligatory to be present at the lifeboat drill, absolutely. This may be around 3.30 or a bit later, but cannot be missed, and the hop on hop off buses, very near the dock, do take quite a time to go round the city. I think you would have to board as early as possible, leave your baggage and go straight to a bus (or taxi?) to go round the city. I must admit that, being a bit lazy - and already knowing Barcelona - I would be all for a relaxing lunch on board, but if you are not going to be there again it would be a shame not to see some of the sights.

While you have the possibility of dropping off your luggage before checking in, there is still the concern about your valuables in your hand carry ons. Be very careful in Barcelona. It is one of my favorite cities in the world, but is also a popular city for pick pockets.

A safe compromise could be to arrange a private driver with guide to meet you at the airport and give you a quick tour of the city before dropping you off at the ship. You won't be able to go down Las Ramblas in a car, but then again, you won't be able to board the ship if someone snatches your passport.

There are many cities that are fun to stay in for few days. Then there are the must experience cities, Barcelona is one of those. One of my favorite cities on the planet, unfortunately, no way to experience it in half a day.

We found out it is better to fly in a day or two early for a few reasons. One, if there are issues (and boy we have had them) with your flight, you can still get there in time to board. Second, and in my opinion more important, you can see/experience some of these great port cities.

However, if I only had half a day in Barcelona here is what I would do. Drop the luggage (with you Seabourn labels attached) at the port, you may even be able to check in. Those of us the have been on SB for a few years know how many comment cards it took to get the lunch in the colonnade upon boarding. Hated sitting around the Grand Salon... Pass on the lunch on the ship and head to the La Rambia (not far from the port) find a nice Tapes restaurant, have a great lunch. After lunch the Gaudi house is not far. Not sure if you will have enough time to tour it, but if you do it is unique. Enjoy as much of this beautiful city as you can, but don't miss the ship, enjoy your cruise. Cheers....

On our last visit to Barcelona 3 years ago, we found the Port staff most helpful with information. In particular we wanted to visit the Segrada Famiglia and did not want stand in a queue. We were advised to go a bank where they have a auto ticket machine to purchase entry. It was fantastic news, we found the bank and the machine. Our Parle Espanole was not so good but the bank staff were so helpful. Ole, tickets in hand, we hopped on the underground train system and arrived in a flash. Then no queing at the Segrada Famiglia, a painless jaunt. This architecture is jaw dropping beautiful a must see wonder. Unlike any church you have or will ever see a Gaudi phenomenon. Can't wait to visit again and see this work in progress.

Edited by koalapanda

Tourists in Barcelona are targets for thieves.

I would not just check in my luggage and walk around with valuable such as jewelry, lots of electronic equipment, purse, wallet, and passport. It is really unwise to do this.

We love Barcelona but it is one of those cities where we don't wear jewelry walking around other then an inexpensive watch, and I will wear a travel wallet that goes underneath my shirt. I will take maybe one credit card with me and some cash and leave the rest locked up.

If there is the possibility of arriving a day or two earlier then the day of embarkation so you can stay at a hotel where you can lock valuables in a safe and tour the city I would do that. If that is not possible I would not recommend touring the city with your valuables in hand. Passports are something that thieves want to sell on the black market. I know someone whose passport was stolen in Barcelona. It only takes a second.

Keith