Amsterdam Flower Market

xeriod

Can you bring cut flowers onto the ship for display in your cabin for the cruise ? We did this on a Tahiti cruise and they lasted for the whole cruise. Looks like the flower market has a wide selection , but would hate to have to toss them before we got onboard.

At the airport they sell bulbs which can be brought in to the States. They have some seal of approval (which certifies that the grower passed certain government tests or checks to ensure that the bulbs meet US/CAN import standards).

You can also buy the bulbs at the Flower Market if they have the seal on them.

You can also buy the bulbs at the Flower Market if they have the seal on them.

Yes, you have to get the ones that have a special certificate. You can buy them at the flower market as well as the airport. We did find that they were more expensive at the airport.

I am certain that you can. I used to bring tulips home to the States on all my trips there.

Better check all this out with your cruise line. If I was told correctly by the tulip bulb sales at the Queen's gardens you can no longer ship or carry your tulips (bulbs) without export and import permits. If you are going to the Queen's Gardens etc. do not stand in line to order tulips. You order them on-line and submit your credit card and the tulips show up at your house in USA at the proper time for planting them there. If you stand in the line -- they just take your order and submit it to the computer! (I was disturbed that I stood in line for a long while before this information on the signs really sunk in that I could order at my leisure from USA and use my time for looking at the most beautiful flowers ever.) Hope this helps you.

Maybe the best plan is to ask your ship's security people or the front desk/or tour desk on arrival in Amsterdam -- those are the folks responsible for tossing the flowers if you can't board with them.

A number of years ago, I bought WOODEN tulips at the Flower Market. I remember that fun day in Amsterdam whenever I look at them in my family room.

Isn't that the truth! Sitting here in my family room on a dreary cold rainy day looking at the poster of Kiukenhof Gardens in full tulip bloom -- just like we saw it a few years ago-- a take me away moment. Planning a trip, taking it, then remembering it make travel so addictive.