Is Southampton Safe at Night?

cynbar

We're booked for a 1 night stay at the Grand Harbour Hotel in Southampton in May before our Princess cruise. Is it safe and well lit to walk a short distance from our hotel at night? We're looking at a few area restaurants that are quite close, but not sure what the evening walking conditions are. Hotel restaurant doesn't seem to get very good reviews.

Why would it not be safe to leave your hotel at night? Do you have mobility problems?

The hotel is in the centre of the city, so yes, there are pavements and street lights. There is a main road on one side of your hotel, but it is not a motorway, so is quite safe to cross at appropriate places. In fact the town is on the quieter side of your hotel, so you are likely to want to go that way. It will not go dark that early in May either.

Edited by tring

We walked to restaurants from the West Quay Premier Inn --Duke of Wellington and Georges. We eat early so it was still light when we were out in early June.

This guide is helpful http://www.tomsportguides.com/uploads/5/8/5/4/58547429/southampton-07-16-2014.pdf

Thank you! We are booked at that hotel for early May.

We're seniors, and we've stayed at the Grand Harbour twice in the last two years. It's a great hotel. We walked to several area restaurants in the evening many times with no issues. Like anywhere else just be aware of your surroundings. We always felt very safe.

We loved The Platform restaurant and The Dancing Man pub both of which are an easy walk from the hotel.

One or two parts of town are a bit unsavoury, just like any city. But not near your hotel or the old-town area behind it. :)

Dancing Man (aka the Wool House) is marginally the nearest, just a five minute walk. In an historic little building facing the waterfront at Town Quay, it brews its own beer in a micro-brewery behind the bar. Great place, but offers deliberately very basic pub-grub, not ideal for an evening meal.

Opposite Dancing Man in the Royal Pier is Kuti's, probably the best Thai restaurant in Southampton.

Duke of Wellington is 100 yards up Bugle Street, the street which leads away from Town Quay alongside Dancing Man. An attractive & historic pub which probably offers the best combination of surroundings, choice, food quality and value.

Or a little further along Town Quay is Ennio's - an excellent Italian restaurant, but fairly expensive.

And just beyond Ennio's is La Regata, a Spanish restaurant. Highly regarded, haven't tried it, really must one day.

Opposite La Regata, on the quay itself is Fantini's, a restaurant which changed hands fairly recently. Nice surroundings, haven't been there since it changed hands.

Platform Tavern is a few yards further along Town Quay has pub grub & often has live music.

George's is a Greek restaurant in a slightly different direction, but not much more than five minutes from your hotel. George's is a bit of a Southampton institution, and a favourite of mine. But I'm surprised to see an Alaskan mentioning it - George hasn't re-vamped the place in years, it looks very dated and un-appealing from the outside. But excellent food, atmosphere and prices.

The Red Lion in High Street is a few minutes beyond George's, it's the most historic pub in town, food is decent without being exceptional.

JB :)

Hi,

Southampton is no more or less safe than any other city or town, don't go off the beaten track, be aware of what is happening around you, although you will be there in May so it shouldn't get dark too early.

Personal safety is mostly common sense, don't do something that you wouldn't do in your home town.

Pete

George's is a Greek restaurant in a slightly different direction, but not much more than five minutes from your hotel. George's is a bit of a Southampton institution, and a favourite of mine. But I'm surprised to see an Alaskan mentioning it - George hasn't re-vamped the place in years, it looks very dated and un-appealing from the outside. But excellent food, atmosphere and prices.

JB :)

JB -- I'm not an Alaskan -- grew up in England now live in New Mexico. I was a newbie to Alaska, and cruising when I joined Cruise Critic and so my "name" became Alaskanb!

You recommended George's so we went and enjoyed the food. Reminded me of an American diner of the 70s.

Edited by Alaskanb

• 2 months later...
Are the majority of the sidewalks smooth or paved and somewhat rough? DH needs a transport chair to get around and it can be difficult on bumpy surfaces.

They'll be reasonably smooth with just the odd bump. They will be either flagged or tarmacked. You will more than likely encounter any bumps on the flagged pavements if the odd flag as cracked or sunk. Don't worry though, as plenty of UK people use wheel chairs without any problems on our pavements.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I had to make several trips from the Premier Inn-Harbour Parade to the Southampton Coach Station in late August, I had left my backpack on the coach. The time of the strolls were from 10 pm until 4:30 am and I didn't feel remotely concerned....in fact in the early morning I did see a soul. I have also walked from the Holliday Inn to the Duke of Wellington without a concern.

Don't worry though, as plenty of UK people use wheel chairs without any problems on our pavements.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

LOL -thanks for the reply - back in days before my DH used a transport chair we visited many places in England with brick or paver stones, but then it didn't matter. (And there are places here at home we have to avoid also.) We are now at a point where I'd rather ask than get into a situation that doesn't work well for us.

Are the majority of the sidewalks smooth or paved and somewhat rough? DH needs a transport chair to get around and it can be difficult on bumpy surfaces.

The UK is pretty wheelchair friendly these days. Kerbs at crossings are ramped and most shops have removed sills on the entrance doors.

Problems arise in old buildings, where making them chair friendly would destroy their character, but even there they will do their best. They get it wrong sometimes - we went, with DW in her electric chair, to a nice restaurant in Whitstable. No problem getting in but the disabled toilet was down four steps....

We were in Stratford upon Avon last week and some shop, especially the smaller ones, still have steps but most had a slope. Even Shakespeare's Birthplace has disabled access on the ground floor.

For things to d,take a look at the Tudor House and Garden. It is right across the road from the Grand Harbour,just through the old city walls. We had plenty of time to look around it on after breakfast the morning we joined the ship.

Also do the self guided Titanic Walk.

http://www.tudorhouseandgarden.com/

http://seacitymuseum.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/Titanic-Trail-MAY.pdf