Warning: Tropical Storm Darby!

ssaito1

Aloha Everyone,

Those of us here in Hawaii are prepping for the arrival of T.S. Darby this weekend. The latest forecast models have brought the storm even closer to Hawaii and with each model the situation is getting worse. Currently Hawaii and Maui County are under a Tropical Storm Watch (which will most likely be upgraded late tonight or early tomorrow). Oahu and Kauai County will most likely get issued watches today according to my sources. The timeframe of the storm ranges from Sat-Mon, going East to West in the island chain.

Please be aware that any/all ocean excursions and activities may be postponed or cancelled. We also close most parks during storms due to the adverse conditions and flooding risks. Please be safe if you are visiting this islands this weekend and stay alert to public warnings and our safety officials.

To check on the latest conditions and storm track, visit the Central Pacific Hurricane Center page at for Darby at: http://www.prh.noaa.gov/cphc/tcpages/?storm=Darby

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Things are just starting to get interesting here on the Hilo side of the Big Island. Could be a long day as this storm is moving so slowly!

Good luck to you all in Hilo! Looks like the wrap around coming towards you later today is nasty.

Here on the west-facing slope of Haleakala we have blue skies and high puffy white clouds at the moment. The wind isn't that bad at the moment either except for random gusts. As everyone may know, Kahului harbor is closed, so the POA will have to head away from us tonight. We have seen it happen before where the POA reversed its itinerary. Same ports - just different days. That may prove so this time too.

Here on the west-facing slope of Haleakala we have blue skies and high puffy white clouds at the moment. The wind isn't that bad at the moment either except for random gusts. As everyone may know, Kahului harbor is closed, so the POA will have to head away from us tonight. We have seen it happen before where the POA reversed its itinerary. Same ports - just different days. That may prove so this time too.

And here in Honolulu it's blazing hot outside! Our volcanoes may once again break up the storm (though we're still hoping everyone gets some much needed rain). Will be interesting to hear what route POA takes this time.

Latest update: Over 6,500 without power on Hawaii Island per Hawaiian Electric Light (about 3-4% of the entire island):

1835 in Pahoa area

2673 along Highway 13

2049 in Kohala

Edited by ssaito1

So far this morning we have had alternating periods of bright and calm weather with dark, very windy and gusty times with big downpours. The wind started out this morning in one direction, and switched about an hour ago, but has now switched again. I have been through hurricanes before, having grown up on the east coast, but this storm is crazy. We still have power, but my police scanner radio tells me that trees and power lines are down in multiple place nearby here in the Puna district. I just had a five minute opportunity to get the dogs out, but once again it is now getting very dark and nasty. Winds have been so strong that things I thought we had secured have been blown over. Darby is keeping us on our toes!! The radar images are sketchy.....so not sure where we are in all of this!

Howz everybody doin? Any updates?

Aloha!

Seems like things will be on the better side for us all. Hawaii Island got slammed with rain and some high winds, but all in all, it seems like we escaped any large scale damage. We're waiting to hear if Mauna Loa broke up Darby or if she will continue on her way with the winds in an organized fashion. I'm happy to see that POA left Honolulu!

On a historic note, Darby is only the 5th Tropical Storm or higher to make landfall in Hawaii since statehood.

Wow! Thank you for that bit of trivia. I would have never guessed that. I noticed the projected path is showing it going straight through Kauai. Hopefully, like you mentioned, it will break up.

You're welcome, it's for sure an interesting fact for most of us. We're just looking at moderate wind and rain now, so hopefully, the worst is over. Will give an update tomorrow morning HST!

Aloha everyone,

Current update as of 10am HST is that the storm has amazingly held on to its tropical storm status. Mauna Loa and Kea didn't break up Darby like they did two years ago with Iselle. Right now in Honolulu we've had constant rain showers. Expecting the bulk of the rain (and whatever wind) in the next 6-12 hours. 6375748f7470089521f977faee4739c5.jpg

Edited by ssaito1

We are getting SLAMMED here in Oahu! Will post an update tomorrow with the damage to each island so far. Could've been worse, but the hit on Oahu was a little unexpected.

We are getting SLAMMED here in Oahu! Will post an update tomorrow with the damage to each island so far. Could've been worse, but the hit on Oahu was a little unexpected.

Just in town and windward, though. Looks like the rain just slammed that whole side of the island! This side got some rain of course and some heavy downpours but nothing like Honolulu and Kaneohe etc got it! I was laying in bed last night watching the lightning in the distance, and we couldn't even hear most of the thunder. But man from the looks of the radar and lightning town got SLAMMED last night!

~Katy

Aloha everyone,

So I'm going to do a recap of the wild and unpredictable weather we had, island by island.

Hawaii Island: Mainly the Puna district got the majority of the rain. Thousands of people lost power there. Heard Kona got the back end of the storm and heavy rain. There was a fairly large glass bottom boat called the Spirit of Kona that broke lose and crashed on the shore in Kona. It's leaking fuel right now.

Maui: Road to Hana was complete washed out during a good portion of the weekend. Hundreds lost power. There was also a water rescue when a son and his father was caught up in a swollen stream.

Oahu: We were all in for a major surprise. Around 6p last night-6a today we have severe rain, flooding, and thunderstorms. It was a historic day for island. At least four locations recorded a 10+ inch rainfall in a 24hr period, however, realistically that rain all came within six hours. Those of you familiar with Oahu, the HI Freeway and Dillingham Boulevard were both shut down due to severe flooding. On the H1, multiple cars got stranded and the water was waist high. Traffic didn't fully clear up until this morning, hours after the storm. We had roughly 7-10k across the island without power, some are approaching the 24 hour mark without electricity. Dole Cannery (theaters and shops) were completed flooded out and major damage there. We have two reported sewage spills so far, about 6,000 gallons so far. I called the police to block Kapiolani Blvd in front of my building because water was already getting about two feet high.

I'll post some of my pictures in a little while. Happy to report that it seems no one got seriously injured or killed across the state!

Just in town and windward, though. Looks like the rain just slammed that whole side of the island! This side got some rain of course and some heavy downpours but nothing like Honolulu and Kaneohe etc got it! I was laying in bed last night watching the lightning in the distance, and we couldn't even hear most of the thunder. But man from the looks of the radar and lightning town got SLAMMED last night!

~Katy

Aloha Katy,

Which side of the island are you on? I live right in Honolulu so we got hit hard. Never saw Kapiolani Blvd ever get flooded but it did last night. It was the most amazing (in every since of the word) weather I probably bore witness to.