First time using Camp Carnival...

MaiTaiMary

Walk me through this! :D

My DH said he filled out the paperwork online.

Now what? :confused:

We don't need to print anything?

What happens on the first day? There is a family orientation? Any idea what time and about how long that lasts?

CC isn't open the first evening, correct? First available time would be 10:00a the following day?

Thanks! :D

Now what? Nothing, everything is electronic. When your child goes to CC they will have all the info.

We don't need to print anything? Nope

What happens on the first day? There is a family orientation? Any idea what time and about how long that lasts?

There is a family orientation usually after you set sail, but you can check out the camp when you board and confirm everything and pick up the itinerary if you don't/can't attend. It will be listed in the Fun Times

CC isn't open the first evening, correct? First available time would be 10:00a the following day?

Correct, no camp the first night. I've seen camp start as early as 9:00a, but it may vary by ship or sea/port day

Hope that helps

Edited by Islandsunrise

• 3 weeks later...

What happens at the orientation the first evening?

I just read in another review that the sail away was missed because of the orientation. I'm hoping we sail away on time, but given the choice, I'd much rather be with the kids out on deck watching the sail away, rather than stuck in the lounge listening to something that I really don't need to.

Thoughts? How important is the orientation for first time CC families ? :)

Thanks!!

You asked alot of these questions before.

In my experience with the last two sailings with the kids, the sailaway begins just after muster - around 4:30. The camp orientation is usually between 5:00-5:30 and lasts about 15-30 minutes max. They need to give folks who are scheduled for early dining time to get ready for dinner, so it's not long winded. They will start with childcare for 2 and under. That only takes a minute. Then they will go over camp carnival in general and then the breakdown of each age group. They will pass out schedules. Ask for an extra one and you can always get another copy just outside camp in the slots.

If you pre-registered your kids online, there's nothing else to do. Verify when you arrive that their names are on the list. Believe me that has already saved you time. That table at the front can get hectic. They will go over Circle C and Club O2 last. Introduce the counselors, etc. Since this is your first time with the kids, definitely go to orientation. The time and location of it will be in your funtimes, so make note of that first. You'll have time for the sailaway. You just might have to leave a little early. Keep in mind, the kids don't need to go to orientation. Both times with us, I went while DH and the kids stayed up on Lido.

Hope this helps!

In the past we have just gone to orientation long enough to get the kids fun times (their activities are not in the regular fun times) and then left to do other things. the orientation is basically the club leaders getting up and talking a little to get the kids excited about cc....if your kids are already excited....no need....kind of for those that aren't too sure they want to leave mommy and daddy.....And lets the parents get a chance to meet the people that will be with their kids for the week.

There have been times we didn't even make it to the orientation.....they would not let us have their fun times before the orientation so we just got the kids there first thing in the morning when they opened up and did all that...no biggie....

On some cruises there was also a welcome aboard party that my daughter loved....that was always during our dinner time so I would leave dinner early with her to go to this...because it was not a drop and leave kind of thing it was a family activity. There are some ships that haven't had it and some that have. And on our last cruise they made it sound like they don't do it at all any more...so i'm not sure if they will have it or not.

My kids also found that they liked it less and less each time just because they kept getting older and the stuff was the same each time......they are excited that they will both be in the circle C this time....something different.

If this is your first time using CC the orientation will be very helpful plus it gives your child a chance to see some of the kids. The Camp Carnival welcome aboard party is a great way for your child to meet other children but still hang out with you.

Orientation is mostly for the people who did not do online checking in. If your sail away is late-- go to the sail away then do the orientation.

If you have little kids though-- 2-5 you want to miss the sail away as they give away phones and pagers-- but its first come first serve and they do run out.

no camp is run the first night- they do have a family dance party that is a lot of fun. They even gave away ship on sticks to the kids with some of the dance contests they do (this runs all of 45 minutes)

Is there late night babysitting the first night? I think we've cruised Carnival 14 times and I know that most all of those times that we've used CC in some capacity on the first night.

yes, starts at 10 and there is a fee.

Would Orientation be the best time to try and get a younger child (11 yrs 10 months) into Circle C. Her older brother is 14 and was in Circle C on our last cruise so we would like them to be together.

Or should I try to see if we can get her moved up before Sailaway?

Would Orientation be the best time to try and get a younger child (11 yrs 10 months) into Circle C. Her older brother is 14 and was in Circle C on our last cruise so we would like them to be together.

Or should I try to see if we can get her moved up before Sailaway?

Others will be able to answer this better, but from what I've read in other posts, they are VERY strict about the ages in Camp Carnival. My daughter will be six weeks shy of her ninth birthday and she will have an older sister in the 9-11 age group, but from what I read, it isn't worth the effort to get her moved up. They just don't do it.

Again... if anybody has other info, please post! :) I'm just going off of what I read. And if things have changed, I will definitely try to move her since she would be happier in the older group.

Others will be able to answer this better, but from what I've read in other posts, they are VERY strict about the ages in Camp Carnival. My daughter will be six weeks shy of her ninth birthday and she will have an older sister in the 9-11 age group, but from what I read, it isn't worth the effort to get her moved up. They just don't do it.

Again... if anybody has other info, please post! :) I'm just going off of what I read. And if things have changed, I will definitely try to move her since she would be happier in the older group.

Completely disagree - I got my son who was 3 weeks shy of his 6th birthday moved up to the 6-8 group with no problem. This was 2 months ago on the Conquest. My request was taken care of at orientation, and they said they would allow it on a trial basis. Everything went well and he spent the week in the 6-8 class. Again, it is a ship dependent question. There were not a lot of kids on board for this sailing, so the Camp was a little more relaxed.

Also, on most 5 night or less sailings, Camp will open on the first night before Night Owls.

Completely disagree - I got my son who was 3 weeks shy of his 6th birthday moved up to the 6-8 group with no problem. This was 2 months ago on the Conquest. My request was taken care of at orientation, and they said they would allow it on a trial basis. Everything went well and he spent the week in the 6-8 class. Again, it is a ship dependent question. There were not a lot of kids on board for this sailing, so the Camp was a little more relaxed.

Also, on most 5 night or less sailings, Camp will open on the first night before Night Owls.

You sailed during a very low season. It really depends on the counselor and if there is many kids onboard.

Mike- personally I would leave the daughter in the age group as the next group does next to nothing except hang out. At least in the 9-11 group she will be particiapating in group settings and giving her friends her own age to hang with. I dont think I would want my soon to be 12 daughter hanging with the 14 year old boys.. that is basically what she will be doing. Playing cards, eating pizza - sitting in hot tubs. That 12-14 group is entirely too cool for program. Its the hardest run onboard.

Do not say anything to your kid just in case it cant happen. But you ask anyways. It depends on how many kids are in the program. The 9-11 is the best in the fleet. I hope they move her.

I didn't think about it that way with her ending up hanging with older boys and she is pretty boy crazy right now so that might not be good. :eek:

Maybe because we are sailing the week before xmas vacation starts circle c will be somewhat empty. We already told her that it is probably not going to happen but of course she still has her hopes set. She thinks that camp carnival will be too kiddish for her matureness, lol.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Forums mobile app

Question about online registration-This is our first time bringing our kids and we were all booked in the same cabin at first. I had registered them for Camp Carnival. Then a few weeks ago I changed us to 2 connecting rooms and it pretty much cancelled the kids previous booking with ours and gave them a new booking. It says minors booked in a separate stateroom much register for CC onboard. Does anyone know a way around this? Thanks!

Your almost 9yo daughter was a 'victim' of insurance.

The under 9s need their parents to get them out of camp. The over 9s, with permission, can check themselves out. Several activities are unchaperoned (ie scavenger hunt)

Whether a child can move age groups depends on number of children in the various groups and how many counselors there are.

Question about online registration-This is our first time bringing our kids and we were all booked in the same cabin at first. I had registered them for Camp Carnival. Then a few weeks ago I changed us to 2 connecting rooms and it pretty much cancelled the kids previous booking with ours and gave them a new booking. It says minors booked in a separate stateroom much register for CC onboard. Does anyone know a way around this? Thanks!

Takes less than five minutes to fill out the forms. Not something to worry about. The clubs have a master list of every kid onboard.

It will take less time if you bring your own pen ;)

Edited by SadieN

take your own pen. There will be lots of people filling out the paper work