Recommendations on a underwater camera

Eiansmomma

I'm looking for recommendations on a underwater camera (MP, brand and whatever else I should know). I don't want to spend a ton - probably under $100. It is mainly for when we cruise and snorkel etc.

I am a Amazon Prime member so something on there would be a plus

Thanks

I suggest you visit your local Best Buy or similar store so that you can hold the camera and try it out. There was one camera I saw on Amazon that sounded and looked great, but I decided to look at it in person locally, and it just felt wrong in my hands. Once you see and try out a camera that you like, you can either buy it in the store or online.

Edited by Viv0828

Your budget of under $100 is going to be a deal breaker for a decent underwater camera. Look to spend about $250

We cruise once or twice a year...I can't constitute a purchase that big for 14 days out of the year. But I will seriously consider it and take it into consideration if I can pull off the price.

I suggest you visit your local Best Buy or similar store so that you can hold the camera and try it out. There was one camera I saw on Amazon that sounded and looked great, but I decided to look at it in person locally, and it just felt wrong in my hands. Once you see and try out a camera that you like, you can either buy it in the store or online.

That's the bad part about living in the country. The only store within 30-45 miles is Kmart. Next time I head out to the city for shopping I will make a note to stop by one of those stores :) thanks!

In that price range, your best bet is to try to pick up a used GoPro along with a flat lens and a red filter on Ebay. (Without the flat lens there will be too much distortion, and without the red fllter (or a light, which would add to your cost) everything will look blue. What are you trying to achieve with the camera?

In that price range, your best bet is to try to pick up a used GoPro along with a flat lens and a red filter on Ebay. (Without the flat lens there will be too much distortion, and without the red fllter (or a light, which would add to your cost) everything will look blue. What are you trying to achieve with the camera?

I'm just trying to take a few pictures of my kids in the water without worrying about dropping my phone and ruining it. We already have a GoPro but I'm totally confused by it.

I'm just trying to take a few pictures of my kids in the water without worrying about dropping my phone and ruining it. We already have a GoPro but I'm totally confused by it.

That's definitely your best bet given that you already have the camera. You just need a flat port and a red filter.

Start here: http://www.uwphotographyguide.com/guide-to-gopro-underwater-video

I'm looking for recommendations on a underwater camera (MP, brand and whatever else I should know). I don't want to spend a ton - probably under $100. It is mainly for when we cruise and snorkel etc.

I am a Amazon Prime member so something on there would be a plus

Thanks

I would highly recommend The Olympus Tough TG-310. 14 Megapixel

It's shockproof and waterproof. It takes fabulous everyday photos.

Has tons of settings. It also takes amazing underwater videos without any kind of case. Great videos of stingrays in Grand Cayman.

I hope my husband buys another one for our upcoming October cruise, while we're on the ship, have some OBC's to redeem.

Just jump in the water with it and press the button.

Barbara

I have enjoyed using my Olympus Tough also...mine is the older TG-320 14 megapixel...it does have fun settings, easy to use underwater, light weight

I am now researching to add another camera so family/friends can get their own pictures of 'smiling fish'!

Whatever you get, make sure the strap will stay on your wrist and/or get a life jacket for the camera! I have a little canon waterproof we take snorkelling. The go pro also takes awesome, clear shots (better than the canon). You just don't get to see what you're getting with it. I have a life jacket for both of them

Whatever you get, make sure the strap will stay on your wrist and/or get a life jacket for the camera! I have a little canon waterproof we take snorkelling. The go pro also takes awesome, clear shots (better than the canon). You just don't get to see what you're getting with it. I have a life jacket for both of them

Some sort of flotation device is a must. Unless the camera itself floats.

I have enjoyed using my Olympus Tough also...mine is the older TG-320 14 megapixel...it does have fun settings, easy to use underwater, light weight

I am now researching to add another camera so family/friends can get their own pictures of 'smiling fish'!

Can you get one under $100. I know we can't here.

Does anyone have experience with the Nikon Coolpix S33? It is reasonably priced at about $115. Reviews seemed to be pretty good, there were comments on how basic the camera is but that is a good thing for me. :rolleyes:

I am considering one of these for my trip to the Baths in November.

If you are just planning on using it for snorkling, you may want to look at the camera mask from liquidimage. It is $120. I purchased it a year ago and used it in Aruba, Bonaire, and Grand Cayman and it worked extremely well.

http://www.amazon.com/Liquid-Image-305G-XSC-Xtreme-Waterproof/dp/B00KLTG1KS/ref=sr_1_2/181-9654433-7867962?ie=UTF8&qid=1442834859&sr=8-2&keywords=liquid+image+camera+mask

• 3 weeks later...