Off menu in Princess Grill

cruiseluvva

Can anyone that has travelled Princess Grill recently tell me how easy it is to go off menu? We really enjoy asking for what we fancy and would miss that if it was somethig we could only request occasionally.

Thank you.

Hi

Have a look here for the PG A la Carte menu:

http://www.cunard.co.uk/documents/menus/queen%20victoria/queen_victoria_princess_grill_a_la_carte.pdf

But I'm sure with enough notice they'll do their best?

andhow

Can anyone that has traveled Princess Grill recently tell me how easy it is to go off menu? We really enjoy asking for what we fancy and would miss that if it was something we could only request occasionally.

Thank you.

If the ship has it you can have it. Just make the request to the head waiter or Maitre D' no later than lunch time. Even some items on the menu need to be pre-ordered because they have extended cooking time.

I don't make special requests that often. However, when I have, they are usually granted, especially if I know the items are already in the kitchen for QG passengers, i.e. Alaskan King Crab Legs or rib veal chops, or proscciutto de parma.

Jeanne

I don't make special requests that often. However, when I have, they are usually granted, especially if I know the items are already in the kitchen for QG passengers, i.e. Alaskan King Crab Legs or rib veal chops, or proscciutto de parma.

Jeanne

My requests were different and weren't on any menu which might explain why they couldn't accommodate my wishes.

Can anyone that has travelled Princess Grill recently tell me how easy it is to go off menu? We really enjoy asking for what we fancy and would miss that if it was somethig we could only request occasionally.

Thank you.

The benefit of paying to travel in QG is to be able to do just that, 'eat off menu'

Although it all depends on how long your voyage is ? I have managed to request off menu in PG ( with advance notice) However, the trip was about 60 days of so.

Bell Boy:)

Good morning,

The following is a interview done by Beyond Ships with Executive Chef

Klaus Krerner in 2008. I've had it in my favorites so thought I would

dust it off and share as he does mention what is available to passengers

in the Grills:

http://www.beyondships.com/files/Kremer_Interview_2.PDF

The Grills are mentioned on page 4, however, the whole article is

worth a read.

best regards,

seasidegal

We asked on our recent trip for something I had eaten in the restaurant on a previous voyage and found it was on the a la carte QG menu but not on PG this time (so there are slight difference between the A la carte menus other than caviar). The Maitre D' ordered it for me at breakfast time for the same evening which wasn't a problem at all.

I've never tried to go wholly off menu but have used previous menus as a guide and asked for items from there. I would think they would be able to accommodate if you wanted something like pasta with a sauce or a steak or chicken as it's something they usually have available anyway. If you tried to go very different, I'm not sure they would assist.

We were in the PG on the QE in April and ordered items that were not on the menus three times. On two occasions we had to give one day notice and once we were told that it would be two days. All of the food was delicious. The staff was extremely accomodatiing.

I asked for Foie Gras, giving the matter some more thought recently I think that they would have acceded to my wish except that I was on an 8 seater table so it would have set a precedent that the staff didn't want to set.:)

As I understand it Foie Gras cannot be frozen so availability might have been a problem.

It might also depend on your Maitre D'. In July Stanley Michaels was in charge of the PG and he spent a lot of time in the restaurant itself and not just hanging out at his kiosk. Off menu was no problem but the requests from my table were not for anything very expensive and/or perishable.

Good morning,

The following is a interview done by Beyond Ships with Executive Chef

Klaus Krerner in 2008. I've had it in my favorites so thought I would

dust it off and share as he does mention what is available to passengers

in the Grills:

http://www.beyondships.com/files/Kremer_Interview_2.PDF

The Grills are mentioned on page 4, however, the whole article is

worth a read.

best regards,

seasidegal

Thank you for that, a most interesting read.

If the ship has it you can have it. Just make the request to the head waiter or Maitre D' no later than lunch time. Even some items on the menu need to be pre-ordered because they have extended cooking time.

On a tour of the Grill's kitchen earlier on in the year we were told quite categorically there were a few items not available to PG passengers so although the term 'if it's on the ship you can have it' is applicable for QG, it isn't for PG.

The whole ethos of QG dates back to the days of the Verandah Grill on the Queen Mary and the Queen Elizabeth where there was a menu, but it was déclassé to actually order from it. The chefs would produce whatever the passenger desired, as long as the ingredients were available in the kitchen.

On the QE2 this tradition continued in QG. The maître d' would approach the table at each lunchtime with a copy of the nightly menu and ask if "all was to your satisfaction". This would be a signal for the passenger to request something to be prepared that was not on the menu.

On Cunard nowadays, the above practice is generally continued in QG, although reports here seem to be that a lot depends on the maître d'.

In the PG, it would appear that ordering off-menu is not suggested by the maître d', but it is something that may be available from time to time at the passenger's particular request.

• 2 weeks later...
I was in PG on QM2 in July and it wasn't at all easy to go off menu; when I asked about it, the explanation was that to be able to do that it was necessary to be in QG as that was one of the major benefits. It made sense to me.

We experienced the same in PG onboard QE in May.

Archived