Global Entry

travelingirl70

I've read some reports (though none confirmed) that travelers with Global Entry can go to the next available agent (i.e. skip the line) in Customs. The theory being that Global Entry is technically available for those re-entering the US via air or sea and the procedures for airports clearly spell out if the machines are not working, you see the officer and jump the line. However, since there are no machines at the cruise ports, many have concluded (and some say TSA has confirmed) that you can jump the line there as well.

DH and I just got our Global Entry/Trusted Traveler and this would be AWESOME if it were true (except for all of the dirty looks we are likely to get from those standing in line.)

Anyone know?

I've read some reports (though none confirmed) that travelers with Global Entry can go to the next available agent (i.e. skip the line) in Customs. The theory being that Global Entry is technically available for those re-entering the US via air or sea and the procedures for airports clearly spell out if the machines are not working, you see the officer and jump the line. However, since there are no machines at the cruise ports, many have concluded (and some say TSA has confirmed) that you can jump the line there as well.

DH and I just got our Global Entry/Trusted Traveler and this would be AWESOME if it were true (except for all of the dirty looks we are likely to get from those standing in line.)

Anyone know?

How could TSA have confirmed what is done at cruise ports when TSA has nothing to do with cruise port returning passengers (or for that matter airport returning passengers) ? Anyone who said that TSA confirmed this is just making stuff up.

Returning international airline or cruise passengers are processed by United States Customs and Border Protection.

The Global Entry program is for airports only, and per their FAQS, the head of line privilege is only available at the airports with Global Entry Kiosks. The program is not in use at cruise ports...hence no line jumping at cruise ports. No line jumping at airports without Global Entry kiosks either:

Do Global Entry benefits allow head-of-the-line privilege at U.S. airports where Global Entry kiosks are not available?

The head of the line privilege is only available at U.S. airports that have Global Entry kiosks. The head-of-the-line privilege is reserved for program members if the kiosks are out of service, if a member gets referred to a CBP officer, and at the exit points.

Edited by njhorseman

The only way I know to jump the line is to get a porter to handle your luggage and he will cut the customs and immigration line for you. This can be done at Cape Liberty. I didn't see it done in Boston because the C&I folks checked people on the ship before they got off and the luggage was just in the terminal to be picked up.

Perhaps others can comment on how each of the East Coast ports actually works.

In Manhattan you get to jump the line if you use a porter...or more correctly you wait on a separate line which will normally be much shorter. Come to think of it last time they had it set up in a way that wasn't quite as advantageous as it used to be...but at this point my recollection of the details isn't clear.

GE does not give anybody jump-to-the-head-of-the-line priviledges.

All the Kiosks are in airports, not cruiseports.

No, but it directs you to a separate line only for GE which rarely has more than a few people waiting. Since I got GE, it's never taken more than a few minutes to get through customs and immigration.

No, but it directs you to a separate line only for GE which rarely has more than a few people waiting. Since I got GE, it's never taken more than a few minutes to get through customs and immigration.

From a cruise? I've never seen a separate GE line for disembarking passengers. Tell us more, please - what ports?

The question was about jumping the line, not how the kiosks are accessed.

You cannot jump to the head of the line if there are no kiosks.