Dynamic Dining. Is it a minefield?

Booked on Harmony, Western Med. Group of 8 friends.

Last time, on Liberty (just 2 of us) we were MTD. Now we are DD. My question is, if we go for Dynamic Classic do we have to have the same dining time (early / late) for every meal or can we switch between early and late on different days. Both Classic & Choice have their good and bad points so trying to sort out which is best for us.

Thanks

DDC you pick either Early or Late and you do not swap between them as you are allocated a table and time.

Just think of DD as being exactly the same as MTD.

What would you have done if you were travelling with a group of friends on prior cruises?? You either booked a time or you turned up to eat when you were hungry.

DD is exactly the same as that! ;)

DDC you pick either Early or Late and you do not swap between them as you are allocated a table and time.

What would you have done if you were travelling with a group of friends on prior cruises?? You either booked a time or you turned up to eat when you were hungry.

I had that impression, but if you have to book, that changes the rules slightly :)

Not exactly. The menu selection in each of the DD venues is more focused toward a specific type of cooking resulting in a more limited menu. If someone doesn't like Asian food is that really a choice for them? DD results in more limited dinner selections and in reality fewer choices than MTD. RCCL has a great concept with MTD and should just move toward MTD for the entire ship.

Not exactly. The menu selection in each of the DD venues is more focused toward a specific type of cooking resulting in a more limited menu. If someone doesn't like Asian food is that really a choice for them? DD results in more limited dinner selections and in reality fewer choices than MTD. RCCL has a great concept with MTD and should just move toward MTD for the entire ship.

I suspect the reduction in number of different menus was one of the main goals of DD.

do the give you buzzers like on P&O ships that do anytime dining ?

Or a great announcement like at Disney's Rainforest Cafe. " Mr Barnsfarn and your group of 36. Your Harmony dynamic dining experience is about to begin".

If someone doesn't like Asian food is that really a choice for them? DD results in more limited dinner selections and in reality fewer choices than MTD.

With DD, if you don't like asian at Silk, just don't go... there are 3 other complimentary restaurants each with 8-10 entrees that you can choose from, thus better choices.

If you are on DD Classic, like MDR, if you don't like one of only 6 entrees on the menu, you can choose a "classic" item that is on the menu every night.

On MDR, if you pull up the "Pomodoro", "Saffron", whatever menu you want on line you will clearly see only 6-7 entrees any given night... this is NOT more choices than any given night with DD. With MDR you are forced to eat one of those 6-7 entrees each night no matter what. With DD, you can choose one of the many other menu items at another restaurant, and if you love that restaurant, you have the freedom to go back the very next night (and the night after that, and the night after that) and have the exact same thing which you cannot do with MDR. There have been plenty of nights where nothing on the MDR menu is appealing, and the next night 3 or 4 entrees are awesome that are only offered once per cruise (lobster, lamb shank, etc) Many CC'ers here specifically ask for menu order of the cruise up front in order to book specialty restaurants on days they don't like the menu because they want that choice. On DD you can have lobster in the Grande each and every night. Your choice

The focus of Dynamic Dining is choice. If you do not like having to think thus a preset menu, preset seating, preset time, same waiter each night, etc, then DD Classic is for you as there is no choice... it is pre-set for you exactly like MDR.

Pretty simple I think:

DD: freedom/choice/decision making by the cruiser

DD Classic: zero choice/preset arrangements/no thinking or decision making by the cruiser

Great description of DD there Hoopster - but there will still be people who just choose not to 'get it' and insist the choices are more limited :rolleyes:

But that's ok! I love MDR as well :)

It's all good

Gotta admit, I did not like having "my choice" taken away from me on Legend in March being forced to eat at either 5:30 or after 7:30 as MTD was fully booked the entire 10 day sailing for early seating times 6-7pm. So here on a standard traditional MDR/MTD ship the MTD dinner seating was a FAIL. And many complained of the very early 5:30pm seating time in MDR (instead of 6pm) so that was a FAIL as well with many because they did not have the choice they wanted. Walking out of MTD at 7pm from my 5:30 pm dinner time, there was a line-up each night at MTD of about 7-8 couples long... GASP!!! Line-ups!! On a non-Quantum Class MDR ship??!! ;)

Edited by Hoopster95

I've heard this argument before, and IMO, it is a weak one as it doesn't take into account that the same could happen in the MDR. But if someone doesn't like that menu, the alternate choices are even less.

I've never seen beepers on any RCI or =X= ship, one of the reasons we don't do Princess any more.

they did it on ncl too ....... that's the only reason I like set times, it's just easier for me :)

With DD, if you don't like asian at Silk, just don't go... there are 3 other complimentary restaurants each with 8-10 entrees that you can choose from, thus better choices.

If you are on DD Classic, like MDR, if you don't like one of only 6 entrees on the menu, you can choose a "classic" item that is on the menu every night.

On MDR, if you pull up the "Pomodoro", "Saffron", whatever menu you want on line you will clearly see only 6-7 entrees any given night... this is NOT more choices than any given night with DD. With MDR you are forced to eat one of those 6-7 entrees each night no matter what. With DD, you can choose one of the many other menu items at another restaurant, and if you love that restaurant, you have the freedom to go back the very next night (and the night after that, and the night after that) and have the exact same thing which you cannot do with MDR. There have been plenty of nights where nothing on the MDR menu is appealing, and the next night 3 or 4 entrees are awesome that are only offered once per cruise (lobster, lamb shank, etc) Many CC'ers here specifically ask for menu order of the cruise up front in order to book specialty restaurants on days they don't like the menu because they want that choice. On DD you can have lobster in the Grande each and every night. Your choice

The focus of Dynamic Dining is choice. If you do not like having to think thus a preset menu, preset seating, preset time, same waiter each night, etc, then DD Classic is for you as there is no choice... it is pre-set for you exactly like MDR.

Pretty simple I think:

DD: freedom/choice/decision making by the cruiser

DD Classic: zero choice/preset arrangements/no thinking or decision making by the cruiser

I'm sorry that you don't see the big picture. Clarea is spot on. There are fewer choices and DD is just another way RCL is cutting back on the quality of the cruise experience.

If you need to make excuses for this concept, maybe it's just a bad idea. MTD has all of the benefits and none of the problems. I just don't get the attraction of fake restaurants. Do you really enjoy it more if they put up curtain dividers and call it a different dining experience?

I'm sorry that you don't see the big picture. Clarea is spot on. There are fewer choices and DD is just another way RCL is cutting back on the quality of the cruise experience.

If you need to make excuses for this concept, maybe it's just a bad idea. MTD has all of the benefits and none of the problems. I just don't get the attraction of fake restaurants. Do you really enjoy it more if they put up curtain dividers and call it a different dining experience?

Different menu behind the curtain

No need to get snippy...

You've tried DD and have factual experience, right?

The concept of DD just makes me appreciate what Disney and Norwegian have already done. If I get the unlimited dining perk on NCL, I can switch from Hibachi, to Brazilian, to Italian... neat alternatives every night. The Disney dining rooms are dynamically different from each other, not "a curtain and cosmetics".

The concept of DD just makes me appreciate what Disney and Norwegian have already done. If I get the unlimited dining perk on NCL, I can switch from Hibachi, to Brazilian, to Italian... neat alternatives every night. The Disney dining rooms are dynamically different from each other, not "a curtain and cosmetics".

Just curious, can you explain dynamically different please. The decor seemed different on Oasis, not sure how you would make it more different than they have. I don't see the problem with sitting along the rail of Silk and looking down on American Icon

I don't have huge experience with DD, but we got off the 11 day TA on the Quantum OTS 2 days ago. There were 5 free restaurants with different full menus. the menus changed 1/2 way through the cruise. The service, with the exception of 1 night, was outstanding and fast. In the recent past we have been disappointed a number of times with the main dining room food on Royal. The quality and selection on the Quantum was by far the best we have ever had on a Royal Ship.

Just curious, can you explain dynamically different please. The decor seemed different on Oasis, not sure how you would make it more different than they have. I don't see the problem with sitting along the rail of Silk and looking down on American Icon

Sure, just going by structure and decor, there's probably not much you can do with a converted Oasis MDR. There are those who will say sitting in a MDR is old fashioned and boring, but I would argue that simply converting it into sections doesn't offset the waiting lists, planning, reservation hiccups, or trying to keep track of where you are going next.

Apples for Apples, here is Disney's decor: http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/ships-activities/onboard-activities/dining/

We sail for ports, so in some ways this whole thing isn't that important to us. I'm sure DD isn't so bad once they smooth everything out. Though if a DD Royal Ship had the same itinerary as Norwegian (and offering free dining), my stomach would rule in favor of unlimited Brazilian Steakhouse and Teppanyaki.

Edited by Stateroom_Sailor

Here we go, switch cruise lines if you feel that way.....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Here we go, switch cruise lines if you feel that way.....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Perhaps I will, but is there a problem with an open and honest discussion? Many people should stop being a cheerleader for RCL and honestly evaluate the product. RCL makes mistakes and even RCL realizes that the initial DD concept was flawed. Many of us don't believe they have fixed the problems.

Perhaps I will, but is there a problem with an open and honest discussion? Many people should stop being a cheerleader for RCL and honestly evaluate the product. RCL makes mistakes and even RCL realizes that the initial DD concept was flawed. Many of us don't believe they have fixed the problems.

Since you are so enlightened as a non-cheerleader and have no problem with open and honest discussions, please start by telling us how the initial DD concept was flawed?

And while you are at it, please enlighten us again how there are "fewer choices with DD".