PHL enough time to make flight...

utopiahereicome

I had a flight booked with American Airlines from MIA to PHL and then to VCE for 10/25/2017. Original flight from MIA left in the morning for PHL and had a 6 hour layover in PHL, and I was OK with that. Now i see that my flight from MIA has been changed to the afternoon and gets in to PHL at 5:07pm - connecting flight for VCE (also on AA) leaves at 6:45pm. So now I'm second guessing myself - should I leave it as is, and do you think 1 hour and 38 minutes is enough time to leave between the flights, or should I change it back again to a morning flight from MIA and deal with the long layover (only other choice on AA leaves MIA at 9:35am).

Thanks in advance for any advice!

I had a flight booked with American Airlines from MIA to PHL and then to VCE for 10/25/2017. Original flight from MIA left in the morning for PHL and had a 6 hour layover in PHL, and I was OK with that. Now i see that my flight from MIA has been changed to the afternoon and gets in to PHL at 5:07pm - connecting flight for VCE (also on AA) leaves at 6:45pm. So now I'm second guessing myself - should I leave it as is, and do you think 1 hour and 38 minutes is enough time to leave between the flights, or should I change it back again to a morning flight from MIA and deal with the long layover (only other choice on AA leaves MIA at 9:35am).

Thanks in advance for any advice!

What is the downside? How many days are you allowing in Venice before embarking? In other words, if you have a time cushion on arriving in Venice, I wouldn't worry about the connection in PHL. If your Miami flight is late, they will put you on a similar flight the next day (probably middle seats) and you'll get to Venice a day late. No big deal in the grand scheme of things. (I flew through PHL a few times back in the 90's and recall a super food joint with to-die-for Philly Cheese Steaks. Worth a layover!)

However, if you don't have spare time in Venice before embarkation, then I would be nervous about that connection. If your flight is on time, ok. If your MIA-PHL is delayed because that aircraft was stuck in DCA that morning because of a prank bomb threat in Crystal City across the tracks (or something equally unpredictable, like weather) then you are screwed. I would book the earlier flight, and look forward to exploring the nooks and crannies of the PHL airport during the 6-hour layover. Remember, absolutely killer Philly Cheese Steak!

Stan

Edited by GottaKnowWhen

It all comes down to your stress level.

If it was me I would look for an alternative but I don't like stress in these situations.

I do agree with the last poster in terms of are you leaving on a cruise the next day or are you spending time before your cruise. I would think through implications if you miss the connection.

Again if it is was me I prefer more time so I would see if there are other options to give me more time before getting onto the next plane.

Keith

Edited by Keith1010

I had a flight booked with American Airlines from MIA to PHL and then to VCE for 10/25/2017. Original flight from MIA left in the morning for PHL and had a 6 hour layover in PHL, and I was OK with that. Now i see that my flight from MIA has been changed to the afternoon and gets in to PHL at 5:07pm - connecting flight for VCE (also on AA) leaves at 6:45pm.
As I understand it, your booked flight gets you to VCE in the morning of 26 October 2017 and your cruise departs Venice two days later on 28 October - ie you have two nights in Venice and well over 48 hours before your cruise departure.

On that basis, if it were me I would probably stick with the current plan. It should not be impossible to get you re-routed from PHL to VCE if you were to miss the non-stop flight - for example, there's an AA to LHR at 2040, from which a decent connection gets you to VCE at 1430 on 26 October. Or you might simply travel one day later and still have an overnight cushion before your cruise departure.

It looks like the official Minimum Connection Time at PHL for your itinerary is 35 minutes, so you have a lot more cushion there than the airline thinks is really needed. If the connection time was exactly at the MCT of 35 minutes, the airline still thinks that most passengers would make it most of the time so that its responsibility for reaccommodating the misconnections is limited to a reasonable level. You have 63 minutes more than that.

However, if you don't like the possible stress caused by a relatively short connection, then changing back to the morning leaves you in broadly the same position that you were in before. If you take that 0935 flight from MIA, then you'll have 6½ hours in PHL, which is roughly what you originally had. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if that 0935 flight is the flight that you were originally booked on, just re-timed and re-numbered.

For $12, you can buy an full-day Independence Pass from SEPTA, the Philadelphia transit authority. Takes you from PHL into Center City about 25 minute travel time. From the Jefferson station, you have access to the Reading Terminal Market. Also,you can switch to the Market metro line and head to Independence Hall.

For $12, you can buy an full-day Independence Pass from SEPTA, the Philadelphia transit authority. Takes you from PHL into Center City about 25 minute travel time. From the Jefferson station, you have access to the Reading Terminal Market. Also,you can switch to the Market metro line and head to Independence Hall.

Thanks for that info, since we have the long layover we will have a little time to do some exploring!

I would definitely take the long layover. PHL is actually a great airport to kill time in. Shoopping, restaurants, and if you have access the AA Club in terminal A has a great view of the runway for plane spotting.

I would definitely take the long layover. PHL is actually a great airport to kill time in. Shoopping, restaurants, and if you have access the AA Club in terminal A has a great view of the runway for plane spotting.

I agree, so I called Chase Sapphire travel and had it changed to the 9:35am flight with no problem.

By the way - LOVE your packing lists! I'm committed to learning how to travel lighter, you provide great example of how to do just that - thank you!