Booking airfare through Priceline?

SportsMomof4

Have you done it? How did it work out?

I am eyeing a flight for 8 that goes from NYC to JAX through Delta day after Christmas. Price keeps going from $219 to $254. I've tried to purchase at $219 but I'm not quick enough.

Wondering if I purchase it at $254 & it goes back down to $219 if Priceline will give refund? I only see info about price matching from other websites. Delta charges $150 to do price drops. If Priceline does it without a fee, I'd rather purchase through them.

I have no experience with Priceline Air, however, I use Priceline on a regular basis for hotels rooms and the name your price tool. In my experience they do not give refunds for anything ever.

Sometimes it's a big savings to fly into Orlando rather than Jacksonville even enough to justify the rental car "sometimes".

Good luck!

The problem is that you're trying to purchase 8 tix at $219. They probably have less that 8 tix at that price, so automatically bump up to higher price that has 8 tix in that price group.

Try buying 6, if that doesn't work, drop down to 4, etc.

But be aware that not all tickets are the same. Read the sticky at the top about consolidator tickets,,, the sticky is called Cruise Air and Air Deviation,,, then make an informed decision.

Edited by klfrodo

That's exactly the problem! Didn't realize that....thank you!

Of course, the flip side is that you will now have your tickets under at least 2 separate reservations. If there is a flight change or cancellation, you will be automatically rebooked, but not necessarily on the same flights. If that happens, you can call Delta and try to get together again, but Christmas holiday flights are usually full and they may not be able to accommodate you. So..... make sure there is at least one responsible adult in each reservation, so you don't end up with feeble Aunt Millie or a teenager being "in charge" of the rest of the kids.

Of course, the flip side is that you will now have your tickets under at least 2 separate reservations. If there is a flight change or cancellation, you will be automatically rebooked, but not necessarily on the same flights. If that happens, you can call Delta and try to get together again, but Christmas holiday flights are usually full and they may not be able to accommodate you. So..... make sure there is at least one responsible adult in each reservation, so you don't end up with feeble Aunt Millie or a teenager being "in charge" of the rest of the kids.

UGH....too late. Just booked the 2 separate reservations. I booked the 3 19 year olds together. But they are all very responsible kids so if that should happen they'd be ok. Thanks for the tip!

We had a flight delay from Buffalo in June due to a lightening storm. When it finally let up and they started rebooking those of us in the airport, the ones who had bought from priceline or expedia instead of thru the airline were put at the end of the line to get seats. We had bought directly, so we made it to the wedding in Minn., but got there at midnight, missing the rehearsal dinner.Others never made it.

We had a flight delay from Buffalo in June due to a lightening storm. When it finally let up and they started rebooking those of us in the airport, the ones who had bought from priceline or expedia instead of thru the airline were put at the end of the line to get seats. We had bought directly, so we made it to the wedding in Minn., but got there at midnight, missing the rehearsal dinner.Others never made it.

When someone mentions they booked through Priceline, a lot of us out there think of their "name your own price" bid model that was popular during the early 2000's for airline tickets (still fairly popular today for hotels). In the OPs case, we know she didn't go through the bid system because she knew before purchase that she was looking at Delta. Had she been using the bid system, the airline, routing, etc wouldn't be revealed until after she had purchased. So I'm assuming the price she paid via Priceline would have been the same had she booked directly through Delta? Or do airlines like Delta contract consolidator-type fares to Priceline for domestic U.S. travel? I wouldn't think they would in this day and age, but I don't know. ??????? :confused:

Or do airlines like Delta contract consolidator-type fares to Priceline for domestic U.S. travel? I wouldn't think they would in this day and age, but I don't know. ??????? :confused:

Yes they do. They pre negotiate blocks of tickets, agree with special terms and conditions, then resell.