20% Drink Special - My math isn't working?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay- we had previously decided to NOT do a drink package this time, but after seeing the 20% discount pre-cruise special in my cruise planner, I have started crunching the numbers again to see...

My issue is I am not seeing a true 20% discount when I do the math...so can someone help?

RCCL website for PREMIUM listed it as of 4/27/2016

$49.00/day (no tip)--->(+tip $8.82)--->> total $57.82/day

7 DAY TOTAL= $404.74

WITH 20% discount on Cruise Planner

$47.00/day (no tip)--> (+tip $8.46)--->> total $55.46/day

7 DAY TOTAL= $388.22

A difference of only $ 16.52 ? Not 20%?

Am I missing something?

David

Edited by CHAMPDDS

Had the same issue. I was told (after multiple calls) that the premium price was raised to $59/day for summer sailings and $55/day for regular season. Not sure if this is true overall or just for the "sale" as they don't seem to be in a hurry to update prices on their website.

Does your cruise leave from European ports subject to VAT tax?

No, it looks like it is:

NEXT:

RCCL ADVENTURE OF THE SEAS- MAY 28- JUNE 4, 2016 (YOUNGEST CHILD'S HIGH SCHOOL GRADUATION CRUISE)

Had the same issue. I was told (after multiple calls) that the premium price was raised to $59/day for summer sailings and $55/day for regular season. Not sure if this is true overall or just for the "sale" as they don't seem to be in a hurry to update prices on their website.

Interesting because the PDF that pulls up (From RCCL and dated 4/27/2016 at the bottom) when you google RCCL drink package, shows $49.00 for premium

... Am I missing something?

David

Since your cruise is not subject to VAT tax (thanks Carol), then I think you are experiencing what some others have reported, i.e., Royal uses a higher price before they apply the 20% discount. It's unclear is this is another IT snafu, or they are really raising the price, but others reported around a $10 per day increase before the 20% discount was applied.

Interesting because the PDF that pulls up (From RCCL and dated 4/27/2016 at the bottom) when you google RCCL drink package, shows $49.00 for premium

I agree. I pointed this out and they said IT was working to update it but they couldn't honor those prices. This was over a week ago so I'm not sure it's really getting updated.

They played the Beverage package prices increased card on me too, however someone that boarded the Anthem on April30 posted a photo of the packages onboard and the are the lower prices

They played the Beverage package prices increased card on me too, however someone that boarded the Anthem on April30 posted a photo of the packages onboard and the are the lower prices

Did they offer you any explanation or offer you the 20% discount off of the correct price?

No, and no. I held for a supervisor at customer care and they insisted the prices went up. She didn't either hear me or could care less

Edited by jonj

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay- we had previously decided to NOT do a drink package this time, but after seeing the 20% discount pre-cruise special in my cruise planner, I have started crunching the numbers again to see...

My issue is I am not seeing a true 20% discount when I do the math...so can someone help?

RCCL website for PREMIUM listed it as of 4/27/2016

$49.00/day (no tip)--->(+tip $8.82)--->> total $57.82/day

7 DAY TOTAL= $404.74

WITH 20% discount on Cruise Planner

$47.00/day (no tip)--> (+tip $8.46)--->> total $55.46/day

7 DAY TOTAL= $388.22

A difference of only $ 16.52 ? Not 20%?

Am I missing something?

David

Interesting. My planner for my upcoming Allure cruise is showing premium at $39. If that doesn't include tax, $46. But for my February cruise, the premium plan has a price of $57. Neither indicates that tax may be added.

Just for grins and giggles, I added the premium to my cart for allure. It indicated 18% will be added (to the $39 = $46). I added to my cart for my Feb cruise where Premium is $57 and it stated tax was already included. Based on that, $57 less 20% discount is $45.6.

David,

Should be like this:

49 - 20% (9.80) = 39.20

+ 18% (7.02) = 46.22

* 7 nights = 323.54 USD total

The 47 USD shown as advertised price includes the 18%.

Did you "put it in the cart"? Then it should show something under 330 USD for the whole cruise.

Let´s say RCI maths has nothing to do with the real science :D!

steamboats

Steamboats, that is what it SHOULD be. But they add the 18% after you put it in the cart, they also quote you $388.22 pp for a 7 day when you call. I went ahead and booked it fearing that it was an indicator of a price increase when we got on the ship. Liberty, May 22nd.

David,

Should be like this:

49 - 20% (9.80) = 39.20

+ 18% (7.02) = 46.22

* 7 nights = 323.54 USD total

The 47 USD shown as advertised price includes the 18%.

Did you "put it in the cart"? Then it should show something under 330 USD for the whole cruise.

Let´s say RCI maths has nothing to do with the real science :D!

steamboats

This is the rub...The cart will show the total as $388.22, so the $47.00/day does NOT include the 18% gratuity, so there is no true 20% savings based on the $49.00/day regular price (unless, as other have stated, the truth is that this still posted as of April 27, 2016 at $49.00/day as the regular, non discounted price)

David:D

Just for grins and giggles, I added the premium to my cart for allure. It indicated 18% will be added (to the $39 = $46). I added to my cart for my Feb cruise where Premium is $57 and it stated tax was already included. Based on that, $57 less 20% discount is $45.6.

Looks like this is the key...$49 /day is not valid amount being paid for the PREMIUM at all...:eek:

David:D

They definitely have math issues on the site.

When it comes to internet (30% off), they have the price right for 1, 3, and 4 devices, but the 2 devices is way off. With the way they have it set up, it's cheaper to do 2x 1 device than 1x 2 devices. The 3 devices is only $9 more than 2 devices for a 7 day cruise (with the incorrect math).

We are sailing at the end of September and the price is $59 for the ultimate package and $49 for the premium and no discounts offered accept for voom. :(

Edited by alex800

We are sailing at the end of September and the price is $59 for the ultimate package and $49 for the premium and no discounts offered accept for voom. :(

What ship are you on out of curiosity?

Just a data point. I am sailing on Oasis on September 3, 2016. I looked earlier today, and the price for the premium package was $49 per day and there was no sale.

I just looked again, and there is now the "20% off sale" posted. The price for the premium package now is $44 per day. I'm no mathematician, but that most definitely is not 20% off. Rather it is about 10% off.

When you add the premium package to your cart the total price comes to $363.44, which is $308 ($44 per day x 7 days) + 18% gratuity.

If it was really 20% off it'd be 49 x .8 x 7 x 1.18 = 323.79

Very dishonest and misleading of RCCL to advertise 20% off when it is really about 10% off. Is it worth calling to try and get the price down to $323.79? Has anyone had luck doing that?

Very dishonest and misleading of RCCL to advertise 20% off when it is really about 10% off. Is it worth calling to try and get the price down to $323.79? Has anyone had luck doing that?

I say trying never hurts, but I've had no luck. I was told prices are going up to $55/day off season and $59/day during summer for the premium package. I'm on Oasis June 11 and mine is showing $47/day at 20% off. I'm guessing they'll tell you your regular price is now $55/day and $44/day at 20% off. Plenty of people seem to still show $49 as the regular price though and their very recently updated pdf shows this too. It's really frustrating. Let us know if you call and get any different info.

Just a data point. I am sailing on Oasis on September 3, 2016. I looked earlier today, and the price for the premium package was $49 per day and there was no sale.

I just looked again, and there is now the "20% off sale" posted. The price for the premium package now is $44 per day. I'm no mathematician, but that most definitely is not 20% off. Rather it is about 10% off.

When you add the premium package to your cart the total price comes to $363.44, which is $308 ($44 per day x 7 days) + 18% gratuity.

If it was really 20% off it'd be 49 x .8 x 7 x 1.18 = 323.79

I tried calling. Dead end. I tried everything. I was told they increased their pricing to $59 for the premium on our sailing. How convenient. It is dishonest. In your case, your pricing is better. Ours only went down to $47/day for a total of $388. Definitely not 20% of $49.

I am glad people are watching prices and not falling for the dishonest sale. I feel bad for the people that booked unknowing and think they got a deal!

After talking to four different people and getting many different answers I finally was able to speak to a supervisor. He told me that RCI has the right to change prices when they want and they recently raised the on board price for the packages. He said if someone purchased the premium package on board the price would be $59 a day. They then put our packages on sale 20 percent off of that at $47 pus 18 percent tips. I pointed out that several other folks on my roll call got the package at $310 not the $388 they were trying to charge me. He insisted there was nothing he could do. I then pointed out raising your prices by 20 percent then having a 20 percent off sale back to your regular price was considered fraud and was illegal. I was then told he could not change the price in the computer but would give me the difference in on board spending credit. So I bought two packages at the $388 and I am supposed to have about $150 added to my account but I guess I won't be able to check for sure until I am aboard.