New Shanghai Cruise Terminal - Public Transportation?

NAJNLA

To Deadzone 1003

You said the City of Shanghai provides shuttle buses to Huangpu Park for cruise ship passengers. Is there a cost? I had asked a Synotrip tour guide and they said there were no shuttles provided by the city so I am confused.

What did the taxi to downtown Shanghai cost you when you took it in March? Is the taxi stand near where you get off the ship or do you have to walk a ways? I have read that sometimes the taxi drivers will try to rip you off so I just want to be prepared.

I believe it was approx 45- 65 yuan (?)...No don't worry about getting ripped off..there are people at the head of the taxi line that ask where you're going and they write it down for you in Chinese to give to the driver.

We easily used taxis during our week post cruise between 6-12 yuan (always get in a metered taxi never a flat rate) depending on where we were going. But the cheapest and easiest way to get around once in the city was the MRT so quick and easy to use.

Enjoy Shanghai it's my favorite asian city and can't wait to go back for more shopping ;)

We were at the port for a day last October 2014 and there were shuttle buses there provided by the city authorities. There was no cost and they were widly used by passengers on Sapphire Princess.

I would doubt that the service has been discontinued so would suggest you investigate further or at least check when you arrive before jumping into a taxi

If you have to take a taxi from the port be careful.

When we left our ship for the last time(We had an overnight in Shanghai when we used the shuttle busses) we were put into a taxi with someone at the dock giving the address of our hotel to the driver. It was lucky we knew some landmarks because the driver was not going the right way at all. We have no idea whether he had the address given to him incorrectly or not but he was quick to change routes and the cost was not great.

We managed to correct him since we had a map with us, but I would certainly want to confirm our destination and/or follow along a map if I were put in a taxi this way.

If you have to take a taxi from the port be careful.

When we left our ship for the last time(We had an overnight in Shanghai when we used the shuttle busses) we were put into a taxi with someone at the dock giving the address of our hotel to the driver. It was lucky we knew some landmarks because the driver was not going the right way at all. We have no idea whether he had the address given to him incorrectly or not but he was quick to change routes and the cost was not great.

We managed to correct him since we had a map with us, but I would certainly want to confirm our destination and/or follow along a map if I were put in a taxi this way.

We had a card from our hotel from when we had stayed there the year before. The person organizing the taxi line wrote down the approx charge it should be when metered....this worked out easy for us...the personel at the taxi line were very helpful as we saw to many people even those that didn't seem sure of where they were actually going....should always know and have your information written down...easy to get this info online and print it out in Chinese.

We were docked at the Wusongkou Cruise Terminal this past October on the Celebrity Millennium. There were no low cost or free buses provided.

We took a $4 taxi ride to the Baoyang Road Metro station - about 10 minutes away. An all day Metro pass is $3. When we returned at the end of the day, taxis came around on a regular basis for our $4 ride back the ship. There were other people also waiting to get a taxi and we shared the ride with another couple.

I would recommend having the Chinese characters from an online metro map as well as the Chinese characters for the cruise terminal for the taxi driver if you do not speak Chinese. At the metro station, buy the all day pass at the staffed window, not the ticket machines. Signs in the metro were in English as well as Chinese

• 1 month later...

This will be our first visit to Shanghai. We are docking at Baoshan. Are there ATM's at the port? It doesn't seem sporting to get a cheap taxi if you do not have an Yuan. Or do the taxi drivers want USD and convert from the meters?

Thanks. David

Edited by reverie4401

Taxis want Yuan.

I can't answer your question about ATM's at the terminal as I had Yuan and did not look for any.

Just a word of warning from someone who has used metros in China extensively. They can be very crowded particularly at peak times and it can be quite difficult getting on or off with luggage.

They are great and quite easy to navigate and I always use them where possible. Admittedly I did not catch the one from the cruise port this time but after a night in a hotel we used the metro with our luggage to get from downtown Shanghai to Hongqiao rail station so we could catch the bullet train to Beijing.

With one cabin bag and a large suitcase each it was "an experience" and probably not for everybody.

Taxis want Yuan.

I can't answer your question about ATM's at the terminal as I had Yuan and did not look for any....................

Woodyren, I figured that was the answer, but I was hoping just the same. Hopefully, someone can enlighten my whether there are ATM's at the port or do I have to hit a local bank in the US and get soaked. David