Best English to Spanish translator ;)

mitsugirly

Anyone have any suggestions on a easy to use program (app for the phone) to translate English to Spanish?

Looking for anyone who have actually used any of the programs and how you felt it worked. :)

Google Translate

Not needed in San Juan, but possibly in Miami.

Use Google Translate. Worked great in Italy...

Worked OK in PR - Puerto Rican Spanish is sometimes a little different. Example, at the El Verde BBQ joint out in Rio Grande, GT had no idea what the menu board had on it... Tried the "photo" version, where it translates what your phone camera sees, it couldn't translate much of the menu.

Unless you are going out beyond San Juan and the tourist areas, you won't need to translate much... They know they cater to Americans so English is widely and broadly spoken. Menus in the tourist areas are in English...

I have 3 co-workers right now from PR - my school-taught Spanish doesn't always cut it...

Thanks so much for the suggestion. I have downloaded it and played around with it some and it seems pretty good. I like the picture feature. I was practicing online and it did a pretty good job of translating anything I could find.

Yes, we will be out of the San Juan area so hopefully if I need it, this will come in handy. :)

I find it funny how everyone said no need for it and everyone speaks English and my very first encounter was about 20 minutes of pointing and hand signals trying to order a sub at subway with someone and they only spoke Spanish there (all of them) 😂

The next encounter is at the resort trying to get to the check in place and he could not give us directions other than "blue" lol

This should be a few interesting days coming up

Hey, I have that same problem trying to order at my local Subway ;-)

Seriously, back in April and May, I had no problems conversing with anyone that I encountered in Old San Juan or out at Bahia Beach. The previously-mentioned BBQ, El Verde, well, I did need to resort to some basics. They used to not speak English at all, but now they do a little bit. Hey, I knew "pollo", "batata", arroz, yuca, and tostones, so I was OK with my ordering what I actually wanted.

It ls not likely you will need translating in San Juan. Don't worry qbout it. PUUERTO Rico is U.S.., THEY carry U.S passports. and most speak Engtlish though somewithswomething of an accent. )...

Edited by sail7seas

Use Google Translate. Worked great in Italy...

Worked OK in PR - Puerto Rican Spanish is sometimes a little different. Example, at the El Verde BBQ joint out in Rio Grande, GT had no idea what the menu board had on it... Tried the "photo" version, where it translates what your phone camera sees, it couldn't translate much of the menu.

Unless you are going out beyond San Juan and the tourist areas, you won't need to translate much... They know they cater to Americans so English is widely and broadly spoken. Menus in the tourist areas are in English...

I have 3 co-workers right now from PR - my school-taught Spanish doesn't always cut it...

Puerto Ricans ARE American.

Edited by sail7seas

Puerto Ricans ARE American.

Tell that to my Puerto Rican co-workers. They are PR first - still think they are a US colony (actually a commonwealth). ;) I did mean that Puerto Ricans will, for the most part, speak English when encountering someone from one of the 50 States or DC. They will also speak mostly English when encountering those from Canada (who are also NORTH Americans)...

Puerto Rico is a U.S. Territory. They have held a number of votes to see if majotity want to be come a state and hius far, that vote haw been No.

Edited by sail7seas