Building a dock for cruise ships - the latest from July 2016

drew sailbum

They're at it again. Long time cruisers have hoped for a dock to be built in Grand Cayman to let at least some of the visiting ships avoiding the whole tendering process.

Previous governments have started down this path before only to have plans changed. Thread about previous efforts on the cruise dock project (with links to even earlier efforts!) here.

In the latest effort a contract has been awarded for an engineering firm to produce a design and costing estimates based upon latest criteria developed in accordance with specifications and in line with public feedback.

Speaking with The Cayman Reporter on Thursday (21 July) Deputy Premier Kirkconnell said the civil engineering report is expected to be completed in late third quarter of this year.

“So before the end of the year it will be completed,” Mr Kirkconnell said.

However, he declined to state if there will be shovels in the ground for the project before the 24 May, 2017 election.

This is not yet a contract to actually build a dock, but it is a step in the right direction.

It's not an issue until you don't get to tender because of rough seas. Then it's an issue. For example, we generally go out of Galveston, Texas and the stops are Cozumel, Jamaica and Grand Cayman. Since we have no desire to go ashore in the free drug market that Jamaica is, we would have only one stop if Cayman were inaccessible. That was a concern on my wife's birthday last year so we went to Hilton Rose Hall in Jamaica just to be sure we would be able to go someplace other than Cozumel. It was ok but it's still in Jamaica. I'm not sure we will see a dock in Cayman in my lifetime but it's certainly a worthwhile conversation to have.

• 4 weeks later...

I would think that a pier would bring in more tourist money. You can start shopping earlier and wouldn't have to rush back to catch the last tender! :D We've never missed GC due to not being able to tender but if it were my first time there I probably would be disappointed if we couldn't go.:(

It's really not an issue to tender...5 mins in decent weather! I don't know why they'd go to the hassle of digging a shipping lane so a ship could dock...it works fine now!

Honestly, the biggest issue isn't the tender TO the island, it's the tenders back. The lines are insane. A dock may alleviate some of this. I wouldn't want any coral reefs damaged, but I'm pretty sure the Grand Cayman government feels the same way, so if they DO end up building a dock, I'm certain that it will be done with sensitivity to environmental issues.

I'm an optomist!

KC