stupid questions #oh who knows!

mya603

I know on tropical cruises the deck chairs are out most of the time. I'm going on Alaska cruise next May. Will they put the deck chairs up so there is standing room next to the railing?

Told you a stupid question. But it's my first cruise ever so I don't know anything. I'm learning from reading this forum. And learning lots of good information and tips.

Yes, there will be deck chairs but there will be plenty of room at the railing for viewing. When is your Alaskan cruise? Have you joined the Roll Call for it? If not, please do. The others on your cruise will be more than willing to answer your questions and help you along in the process. I will be sailing to Alaska on the 7th of May out of Seattle, Washington on The Jewel. This will be my 3rd Alaskan cruise.

Yes, there will be deck chairs but there will be plenty of room at the railing for viewing. When is your Alaskan cruise? Have you joined the Roll Call for it? If not, please do. The others on your cruise will be more than willing to answer your questions and help you along in the process. I will be sailing to Alaska on the 7th of May out of Seattle, Washington on The Jewel. This will be my 3rd Alaskan cruise.

Yes I've joined the roll call. Thanks for all the answers. I'm doing the land/cruise beginning land portion May 29, 2015 on the Sun. Looking so forward to it too.

And I asked the "stupid" question because I was thinking it might be too cool on deck to sit and enjoy but maybe it will only be cool while at the glaciers? Anyway, cold doesn't bother me much so I know I'll be out there! Or either on my balcony. Probably divide my time between my balcony and out on deck with the rest of my fellow cruisers! Make some new friends!

And I asked the "stupid" question because I was thinking it might be too cool on deck to sit and enjoy but maybe it will only be cool while at the glaciers? Anyway, cold doesn't bother me much so I know I'll be out there! Or either on my balcony. Probably divide my time between my balcony and out on deck with the rest of my fellow cruisers! Make some new friends!

All the way to the front of The Sun on Deck 11 is an Observation Lounge with a outdoor deck area. That would be good place to watch while in Alaska. At certain times it might get real crowded, but there is a good deal of space to watch the world go by. Have a great time.

My first cruise was Whittier to Vancouver. DH and I fell in love with Alaska and with cruising. Here is my review of that cruise; it covers everything from planning and all my crazy questions (omg - packing alone!!) to the cruise to the land tour we did. Hope it helps...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1871068

Cheers and enjoy your cruise! I'm excited for you! :)

L

I've cruised to Alaska 4 times from Seattle.

There will always be deck chairs out at the pool area. And it seems they were always out of the promenade deck. To the far front of the ship, the chairs were often not out for use when it was a bit windy. And it didn't even have to be that windy.

Also, on the deck just up from the pool, overlooking the pool area, the lounge chairs were often stacked and hooked together, not allowing use. Again, if even the least bit windy, they were not put out.

I remember chairs always out at the Great Outdoors. At least when dh and I were visiting that area.

On one of our cruises, it was pretty cold and windy a couple of days. We still like to be outside, but we would often sit under the covered area on the pool deck.

I've only seen blankets set out on the loungers on our very first Alaska cruise. The last 3 cruises, the most recent one this last summer, there were no blankets set out. On glacier viewing day, it can be pretty chilly.

They serve a wonderful salmon chowder in the buffet on glacier viewing day. I loved it, and it sure warmed me up!!!!

Enjoy your cruise! Alaska is just breathtaking! What an experience!!

If you do want to have a place to sit, I would get to your chosen spot early and claim it. A lot of folks do stand the entire time, enjoying the beauty.

But with my back problems, there is no way I could stand for that many hours. We got a place right at the bow of the deck we wanted, and we both had great chairs right in the center front.

They do open the front deck that, I think, is used by staff. But there was no place to sit there. And if you don't get there early, to be right up front, it will be hard to see. You'll be trying to see over everyone.

On the Pearl, naturalist rangers board the ship. They narrate the trip through Glacier Bay. There is also a naturalist or two on deck to answer questions. It's great!

What does the # mean????? I do NOT understand why that is in everything nowadays! Help!

what I call a "pound" sign is now called a "hashtag." :). Wherever you see it used on the Internet (specifically social media like facebook and Twitter). you can click on it and it will pull up on the various comments and conversations where that hashtag was used. This is called a metadata tag. Hope that helped!

L