Non-HA cabin with a scooter?

Buckimion

I'm curious if anyone has ever booked a non-accessible cabin with a mobility scooter? I've been eyeing what appears to be a larger 4J cabin on Carnival, but currently all of the HA ones are taken. I've considered taking what is available, and simply breaking down my scooter into its smaller components to fit inside at night for charging and storage. Has anyone ever done this or have run into trouble attempting it? Except for possibly a shower seat, I don't think I need any of the other accessible features.

I'm curious if anyone has ever booked a non-accessible cabin with a mobility scooter? I've been eyeing what appears to be a larger 4J cabin on Carnival, but currently all of the HA ones are taken. I've considered taking what is available, and simply breaking down my scooter into its smaller components to fit inside at night for charging and storage. Has anyone ever done this or have run into trouble attempting it? Except for possibly a shower seat, I don't think I need any of the other accessible features.

I have booked standard cabins numerous times prior to requiring the need for an accessible bathroom. Did not have to break the scooter down as my Pride GoGo Elite Traveler is 19.5" in width at it's widest point and was able to drive it in/out of the cabin. Though there had to be some adjustments to the placement of the furniture such as removing any coffee tables it was doable.

Though you can certainly break the scooter down. However if your scooter's width at the wheelbase is no wider than 21" than per what's stated on Canival's website you shouldn't have to take the scooter apart. The hangup than becomes the width of the arms rests as they also must be set at no wider than 21" or less if not completely removed.

Following is copied directly from Carnival's website http://www.carnival.com/about-carnival/special-needs.aspx

"Your personal scooter should be able to fit in a standard stateroom with a 21" entry doorway. If your scooter is larger than 21", you must purchase a modified stateroom or rent a smaller scooter"
Edited by xxoocruiser

I have booked standard cabins numerous times prior to requiring the need for an accessible bathroom. Did not have to break the scooter down as my Pride GoGo Elite Traveler is 19.5" in width at it's widest point and was able to drive it in/out of the cabin. Though there had to be some adjustments to the placement of the furniture such as removing any coffee tables it was doable.

Though you can certainly break the scooter down. However if your scooter's width at the wheelbase is no wider than 21" than per what's stated on Canival's website you shouldn't have to take the scooter apart. The hangup than becomes the width of the arms rests as they also must be set at no wider than 21" or less if not completely removed.

I am familiar with Carnival's printed policies as this wouldn't be my first cruise, but my others have been in fully HA room and I haven't had to test the whims of staff when it comes to placing a scooter in a standard cabin.

My heavy-duty Pacesaver Passport has a stated width of 24", although I think I save an inch or so when taking off the arms.

Edited by Buckimion
name corection

I've used a scooter on many cruises, and haven't had an accessible cabin yet. I rent the scooter from Special Needs at Sea, so it's not one that can be folded or broken down.

The trick is getting a cabin that doesn't have a line of closets by the door, and that does have room to park the scooter and still move around. It can be done, although such cabins are few and far between.

I back the scooter in, to save the problem of trying to turn around once inside. (a great steward once taught me how to do that. bless him.)

Good luck getting a cabin that works for you.

I am familiar with Carnival's printed policies as this wouldn't be my first cruise, but my others have been in fully HA room and I haven't had to test the whims of staff when it comes to placing a scooter in a standard cabin.

My heavy-duty Pride Passport has a stated width of 24", although I think I save an inch or so when taking off the arms.

A Pride Passport scooter will not fit being driven through Carnival's standard cabin door even with the arm rests removed. Additionally a full size scooter is extremely cumberson in a standard cabin even when taken apart. Not to mention that it will get very tiring taking it apart every time you need to go in and out of you cabin as per SOLAS ( Safety of Life at Seas) Regulations, Coast Guard Regulations as well as Carnival's regulations prohibit the scooter from being left out in the hallway.

Have you checked with Carnival to find out if there is a Modified Accessible Cabin available ? If so, though the interior is equivalant in size to a standard cabin in the same catagory, the entry door has been modified to be the same as found in an accessible cabin.

Correct me if I'm wrong but beleive a Pride Passport has a weight capacity of 300#. Both Carevactions and SpecialNeedsatSeas basic rental scooter is the Pride GoGo Elite Traveler HD plus with a width of 21" and weight capacity of 325# perhaps renting might be a consideration.

Edited by xxoocruiser

I've been on the Carnival Pride with my scooter, a Pride GoGo Elite Traveller Plus (3-wheeled) model. Each time, we've been on the main deck AFT in a Standard 8A Balcony cabin. I have no problem driving into the cabin, and we still have room to move around the cabin.

We've cruised on Carnival and they have what they call a modified cabin. We've had a modified cabin which was small, but the door was wider and the bathroom is an accessible with shower seat and quite large. I would contact their special needs department to see if you can get some assistance with such a cabin. You would probably have to charge the scooter in the cabin area, but you could store it in the bathroom at night. I hope this info helps.

Edited by psupa

I've been on the Carnival Pride with my scooter, a Pride GoGo Elite Traveller Plus (3-wheeled) model. Each time, we've been on the main deck AFT in a Standard 8A Balcony cabin. I have no problem driving into the cabin, and we still have room to move around the cabin.

Important to note the Pride GoGo Elite Traveler Plus 3 wheel model is 21" wide. The OP will not be able to drive their Pride Passport which is 24" wide through a standard cabin doorway being that Carnival clearly states on it's website that a scooter must be 21" or less in width to fit through a standard cabin door.

I have my own Pride Victory which is what most of the rental scooters onboard the Glory in Feb were. I had to make a wide turn and I just squeezed thru the door without scraping the sides. I did have the armrests removed. It took a little practice that first day but I had it down pat by the third or fourth time I attempted it. We did have a suite so there was plenty room for it. I could even turn it around in the room to drive it straight out. Have the room steward remove the little table, it will give you more room.

I have my own Pride Victory which is what most of the rental scooters onboard the Glory in Feb were. I had to make a wide turn and I just squeezed thru the door without scraping the sides. I did have the armrests removed. It took a little practice that first day but I had it down pat by the third or fourth time I attempted it. We did have a suite so there was plenty room for it. I could even turn it around in the room to drive it straight out. Have the room steward remove the little table, it will give you more room.

Carnival's standard doorways are 22" wide door frame to door frame not accounting for the depth of the door as it does not open flush to wall . Being the Pride Victory is 22.25" in width (both the 9 and 10 versions ) you were very lucky to able to drive it into the cabin. However being that the OP stated in post # 3 that their scooter is 24" in width, the OP won't be so lucky.

Carnival's standard doorways are 22" wide door frame to door frame not accounting for the depth of the door as it does not open flush to wall . Being the Pride Victory is 22.25" in width (both the 9 and 10 versions ) you were very lucky to able to drive it into the cabin. However being that the OP stated in post # 3 that their scooter is 24" in width, the OP won't be so lucky.

I just went out and measured my tire width. It is 21 1/2 inches at the widest in the back. Of course its a 3 wheeler so maybe the 4 wheeler is wider. When I bought mine the salesman told me they rent them to people going on cruises all the time and no one has ever said it didn't fit thru the door. That was my main concern when I purchased mine so I had a load of questions for him. I did take the arm rests off. They are inconvenient for me anyway.

I just went out and measured my tire width. It is 21 1/2 inches at the widest in the back. Of course its a 3 wheeler so maybe the 4 wheeler is wider. When I bought mine the salesman told me they rent them to people going on cruises all the time and no one has ever said it didn't fit thru the door. That was my main concern when I purchased mine so I had a load of questions for him. I did take the arm rests off. They are inconvenient for me anyway.

• 1 month later...
What is your experience in renting/using a scooter in Asia?

You're going to have to plan to bring your own scooter or rent one locally near your home to bring. It's very hard to even purchase a mobility scooter in Asia let alone rent one.

http://www.CareVacations.com only services selective USA and European Ports.

According to it's website the only Asian Port that http://www.SpecialNeedsatSea.com services is Kobe Japan.

Edited by xxoocruiser

RuthC - any experience renting and/or using a scooter in Asia?

Thanks!

I rented a scooter from Special Needs at Sea for a cruise from Hong Kong to Kobe, followed by the cruise from Kobe to Vancouver. I paid the usual fee, plus the expected one-way fee. I was traveling with friends, one of whom had his own scooter with him. We both got along fine.

I did not take my scooter ashore, but my friend did. In China I hired a wheelchair and pusher to accompany us on our private tours. We both did get lots of strange looks, as apparently the disabled don't go out in Shanghai or Beijing! But we also got plenty of smiles from the Chinese.

The cobbled areas were difficult for both of us, but there was usually a smoother path to use, including in the Forbidden City.

In the other ports I was able to take ship excursions. I rode my scooter to the tour bus, then a steward rode it back to the ship, where it was stored by the gangway. I can climb on the busses, and walk some. Upon return I was able to walk back aboard and pick up my scooter as soon as I did.

Sometimes a steward saw me coming, and rode the scooter out to me. That is a huge help.

They'll probably be a step up to get into the bathroom (as well as a step to get into the shower itself). If you're in a balcony cabin, there will probably be a step to get onto the balcony.

Would also double check doorway width ... Princess says their standard stateroom door width is 22" - I didn't measure ours but I couldn't even get close to getting my small manual wheelchair through (well under 20" wide rim to rim). With the way the door opened and the weight/difficulty of holding the door open to get through, the chair had to be folded as tightly as possible to get in and out while I held onto walls or someone else supported me :-/

Would also double check doorway width ... Princess says their standard stateroom door width is 22" - I didn't measure ours but I couldn't even get close to getting my small manual wheelchair through (well under 20" wide rim to rim). With the way the door opened and the weight/difficulty of holding the door open to get through, the chair had to be folded as tightly as possible to get in and out while I held onto walls or someone else supported me :-/

It's the actual clearance width of the door threshold that you must be concerned about and not the door width quoted by the Cruise line. Cruise lines only give measurement from door frame to door fame not taking into account the depth of the door when opened as it does not close flush to wall. Therefore you have to deduct 2" for the depth of the door when open to get the total clearance width.

For example you stated Princess standard stateroom doors are 22" wide After deducting 2" the clearance width becomes only 20" and at that there can still be a slight variance that can impact the ability to drive a scooter into the cabin , such as the door/door frame not being plum or not adjusting the armrests width to be no wider than the scooters base width. I

Edited by xxoocruiser

With the way the door opened and the weight/difficulty of holding the door open to get through, ....

When using a scooter or wheelchair, always, always, always ask the cabin steward for a door stop. They have them to hold cabin doors open when cleaning; just get an extra for you to keep on hand.

I place mine on the couch by the door, so the steward can use it; then he places it back there.

Or, buy one for yourself and pop it in your carry-on. That way you'll always have it with you when you unpack.

Yep, steward actually offered a wedge after the first day, but I never quite mastered the art of getting the thing in the right place to hold the door!

xxoocruiser - that's pretty well what I meant, you just put it better :)

• 4 weeks later...

:confused::confused: DH is traveling with a small scooter --- 20 in. wide -- so cabin doors are no problem. However, the layout of this cabin has the bed closest to the door so I am wondering if anyone knows the clearance from the foot of the bed to the opposite wall. We could move the scooter into the space by the balcony if we can get clearance. Unfortunately, the coffee table and loveseat are near the balcony door and furniture can't be moved (or so I am told). This is a regular deluxe veranda cabin. We could upgrade to a suite for $ 7000 more but I don't want to spend that much $$$ if possible. Cruise is for 16 days - Caribbean. Thanks. :)

:confused::confused: DH is traveling with a small scooter --- 20 in. wide -- so cabin doors are no problem. However, the layout of this cabin has the bed closest to the door so I am wondering if anyone knows the clearance from the foot of the bed to the opposite wall. We could move the scooter into the space by the balcony if we can get clearance. Unfortunately, the coffee table and loveseat are near the balcony door and furniture can't be moved (or so I am told). This is a regular deluxe veranda cabin. We could upgrade to a suite for $ 7000 more but I don't want to spend that much $$$ if possible. Cruise is for 16 days - Caribbean. Thanks. :)

Have found this video a a deluxe balcony cabin on the Quest.

It's hard to tell if there's t least 20" between the bed and wall. Even if there is the problem appears to that there's no way the scooter is going to make the turn into the sitting area due to the width of the bed corner to the desk that greatly limits the turning radius.

If it's a portable scooter that break into pieces you may have to do that each night in order for it not to be in the way if one of you have to get up during the night. This would also make it easier to charge each . During the day if you're in the room it appears that the scooter could be stored along side the bed next to washroom wall.

Edited by xxoocruiser

:)Very helpful video --- Yes, we may have to take the scooter apart --- are "wait-listed" for an accessible cabin -- wish I had realized how "tight" the space was when I made my original res. Could have had the HC from the start -- oh well. Keep my fingers crossed. The next catagory up is just too much $$$ even though would be so much more comfortable.:(