Would you go to Tobacco Bay

jdro

Hi, We are going to Bermuda the week of September 6th, would you go to Tobacco Bay if you don't snorkel, I've never been to that side of the island and would love to go to St. George and figure check out the beaches why we are there.

Thanks

Jennifer

Hi, We are going to Bermuda the week of September 6th, would you go to Tobacco Bay if you don't snorkel, I've never been to that side of the island and would love to go to St. George and figure check out the beaches why we are there.

Thanks

Jennifer

Tobacco Bay is my favorite beach and St. George's is my favorite part of the island.

Thanks

Jennifer

Hi Jennifer

I would still go. From about 0.57 in this shows Tobacco Bay beach, and even though you don't snorkel you can easily see plenty of fish by just putting on a mask and looking under the water while you hold your breath for 10 seconds if you want. Also, just by going there you'll walk by the Unfinished Church. All the best, Tony

[YOUTUBE]D3ZnJmToL5c[/YOUTUBE]

Hi Jennifer

I would still go. From about 0.57 in this shows Tobacco Bay beach, and even though you don't snorkel you can easily see plenty of fish by just putting on a mask and looking under the water while you hold your breath for 10 seconds if you want. Also, just by going there you'll walk by the Unfinished Church. All the best, Tony

[YOUTUBE]D3ZnJmToL5c[/YOUTUBE]

Another wonderful video Tony, thanks. And I agree St George is worth visiting.

Been to Bermuda 5 times, never stepped foot on Tobacco Bay beach. I just keep walking to St Catherine's...bigger and less people.

Hi,

Does St. Catherine's have bathroom facilities and a place to get food and drinks?

Thanks!

Jennifer

Hi,

Does St. Catherine's have bathroom facilities and a place to get food and drinks?

Thanks!

Jennifer

Nothing right on the beach when I was there - although one year there was a cart/stand that sold water/juice/soda, but that's not on my priority list for beaches. There is a nice place to eat adjacent to the fort, but its not a typical "beach grill" atmosphere.

Thank you Tony, Tobacco Bay looks beautiful!

Thanks (and to Got2Cruise too). We chose TB because of its easy, good snorkelling, (I'm embarrassed to call what we did 'snorkelling' as we mostly floated around in waist-deep water, but we did see some spectacular fish) but if you or anyone else with you don't want to do that I'm sure St Catherine's would be lovely too. Anyway, as they are so close you can decide on the day.

In case it's of interest, this shows some of the town of St George's, as well as Hamilton and the Dockyard.

[YOUTUBE]WeaD2EeS_SI[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by Cornishpastyman1

I just had to chime in on this since we just returned this past June from there.

We went to Tobacco (I LOVE to snorkel) and us girls and kids did the snorkeling and swimming at the beach and the guys just kinda hung out on the beach and we all had a good time. The beach is kinda small though <--the only draw back. There's plenty of food and facilities there.

Heading over to St Catherines beach was a short walk and easy to get to. The beach at St Catherines was GORGEOUS and pretty big with barely anyone there. You almost have the place to yourself if you go. BUT, that comes with not having any food or facilities there. So, that's why it's much less of a crowd.

However, RIGHT next door (Achilles Bay) is a place to get food and there's facilities there to use. So, if you wanted to get a bite to eat or use the restroom, just walk over there...no worries. It's a very small place too (way smaller than Tobacco) but they had good food and drinks and was a great place to hang out at.

I have a complete review of all 3 places there you might want to check out and see if they are the place for you and your family. There's TONS of pictures in the review and it starts at Tobacco to St Catherine to Achilles Bay. :) Very easy to do all 3 of them in 1 day. We did and had a blast.

• 3 weeks later...

I went to Tobacco Bay beach when we visited Bermuda and I liked it. It is a very small beach and the water has no waves, you can walk out very far. There is a cliff to jump off of if you are adventurous. I Jumped but I was so scared but it was fun! There are bathrooms and a little food shack with tables. A short walk and you are at Fort St. Catherine's beach which is a natural beach with no facilities. But it is only a short walk back to Tobacco bay. We ventured over to St. Catherine's beach for a bit then went back to Tobacco Bay. Overall it was a great day. We actually walked from the Ferry uphill to the beach, it is a walk but there is so much to see on the way.

We stayed in St. George last week. Went to Achilles Bay next to Tobacco (via free shuttle from hotel) and snorkeled towards Tobacco Bay area rocks, and then went to St. Catherines next door (bigger beach-sandy bottom, but nowhere near as large as Horseshoe or Elbow). Never went to Tobacco--too many other places to go.

Loved St. Georges for historical sites and shopping, and loved Elbow beach. Decided Elbow was worth the 1 hr bus ride to go a 2nd day vs. trying Tobacco. The place we really wanted to go was Clearwater Beach. They have a beach bus that goes there, but not until 11:45. Ask at the tourist office in the main square at St. Georges. Otherwise it's around a $20 taxi, I guess. Several people who have been coming to St. George for many years told us to go there--didn't have time--on our list for another trip.

Last week, there was a food shack at St. Catherines beach. He sets up arond noon-7pm. Great burgers $5, fish sandwiches $11, sodas, etc. There is a Port a potty. There is a nice beach restaurant nearby up the hill. You need to buy something to use the bathroom (sign saying patrons only). But, very nice bathrooms--worth the price of a drink.

Edited by elaine5

Last week, there was a food shack at St. Catherines beach. He sets up arond noon-7pm. Great burgers $5, fish sandwiches $11, sodas, etc. There is a Port a potty. There is a nice beach restaurant nearby up the hill. You need to buy something to use the bathroom (sign saying patrons only). But, very nice bathrooms--worth the price of a drink.

Thanks, I believe you are the first to report back from St. Catherines since the food stand opened. Also good to know there is a port a potty. That is better than nothing.

Edited by Charles4515

• 2 months later...

Ill be at Kings Warf on NCL Breakaway. What is the most efficient way to get to Tobacco Bay Beach...it doesnt have to be least expensive just easiest. Also, is there a bus or shuttle to take us down the hill or will a cab do that for us since Ill have my mom. Thank you.

Ill be at Kings Warf on NCL Breakaway. What is the most efficient way to get to Tobacco Bay Beach...it doesnt have to be least expensive just easiest. Also, is there a bus or shuttle to take us down the hill or will a cab do that for us since Ill have my mom. Thank you.

Down what hill? Take the ferry from the Dockyard to St.George. You can take a taxi from the ferry terminal in St. George or the Town Square to Tobacco Bay. This year there was a shuttle that stopped at Tobacco Bay from the St. George Town Square. I would check back here next year to see if they are still running it.

Edited by Charles4515

Down what hill? Take the ferry from the Dockyard to St.George. You can take a taxi from the ferry terminal in St. George or the Town Square to Tobacco Bay. This year there was a shuttle that stopped at Tobacco Bay from the St. George Town Square. I would check back here next year to see if they are still running it.

I dont know what hill lol. I have a few cruises booked so may be getting confused. I just wanted to make sure we can be dropped off rigjt at the beach to rent the chairs and umbrellas. Thanks for the directions. I think we will skip Horeshoe Bay this time. I think my three days will be:

Day 1: Tobacco Bay

Day 2: Coco Bay Beach (loved it there in 2014)

Day 3: Black Bay Beach. Another amazing day we had here too.

Thanks so much!

I dont know what hill lol. I have a few cruises booked so may be getting confused. I just wanted to make sure we can be dropped off rigjt at the beach to rent the chairs and umbrellas. Thanks for the directions. I think we will skip Horeshoe Bay this time. I think my three days will be:

Day 1: Tobacco Bay

Day 2: Coco Bay Beach (loved it there in 2014)

Day 3: Black Bay Beach. Another amazing day we had here too.

Thanks so much!

A taxi can drop you off right at Tobacco Bay beach. The distance from either the ferry terminal or the town square in St. George to Tobacco is not far. I have walked it a bunch of times but I have also taken a taxi when with others who can't walk or don't want to walk. I would estimate the taxi fare to be about $10.

Edited by Charles4515

If you are talking about the hill from the road down to Tobacco Bay itself, the HOHO bus (Hop On Hop Off Beach Bus) will also take you all the way down to the building/beach now. (They use to not do this, but changed it and they do now). The HOHO bus is the one that you catch right at Town Square and it's $6 per adult to use. The $6 is to ride it as many times as you'd like. So there and back for only $6. :)

If you are talking about the hill from the road down to Tobacco Bay itself, the HOHO bus (Hop On Hop Off Beach Bus) will also take you all the way down to the building/beach now. (They use to not do this, but changed it and they do now). The HOHO bus is the one that you catch right at Town Square and it's $6 per adult to use. The $6 is to ride it as many times as you'd like. So there and back for only $6. :)

One caveat on the Hop On Hop off bus. People should check back next year to make sure that service is continuing. Things do change in Bermuda. Years before there was the Hop On Hop Off which only began last year there was a minibus service from the town square to Tobacco and St. Catherine. That was discontinued several years ago and for a few years there was no shuttle or bus service. It is a private service so anything is possible.

I would say the same about the private Horseshoe Bay Shuttle service which appeared to become unreliable toward the end of the last cruise season. I wouldn't count on it for next season yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

One caveat on the Hop On Hop off bus. People should check back next year to make sure that service is continuing. Things do change in Bermuda. Years before there was the Hop On Hop Off which only began last year there was a minibus service from the town square to Tobacco and St. Catherine. That was discontinued several years ago and for a few years there was no shuttle or bus service. It is a private service so anything is possible.

I would say the same about the private Horseshoe Bay Shuttle service which appeared to become unreliable toward the end of the last cruise season. I wouldn't count on it for next season yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you both VERY much! I greatly appreciate all the help!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Been to Bermuda 5 times, never stepped foot on Tobacco Bay beach. I just keep walking to St Catherine's...bigger and less people.

That sounds more like my kind of beach - no facilities, fewer tourists, less noise and crowds. After reading the previous posts, is the HOHO the best way to get there from St. George's? How far is Elbow Beach from St. George's and does the HOHO go there too? Thanks for the help!

Edited by DrivesLikeMario

That sounds more like my kind of beach - no facilities, fewer tourists, less noise and crowds. After reading the previous posts, is the HOHO the best way to get there from St. George's? How far is Elbow Beach from St. George's and does the HOHO go there too? Thanks for the help!

The hop on, hop off stops at St. Catherine. Or you could take a taxi. Or walk. The Hop On, Hop Off operates only on the East End. Not to Elbow Beach which is on the South Shore near Hamilton.

Edited by Charles4515