First cruise to Europe

pmcubed

We have only cruised in the Caribbean. We are taking our first cruise to northern Europe next summer. I know it will be much cooler. So, how does that change the pool areas? I don't picture swimsuits and chair hogs - so what does the seaview pool area look like?

What should we be prepared for?

Thanks.

The DW and I are going to be on our first European Cruise next July...Prinsendam Baltic Cruise from Imjuiden. I would also like to know how the use of the Swimming pools is effected. Are they heated, for instance?

Edited by Boiler Cruiser
Correct title

The DW and I are going to be on our first European Cruise next July...Prinsendam Baltic Cruise from Imjuiden. I would also like to know how the use of the Swimming pools is effected. Are they heated, for instance?

I asked this question of HAL back in 2013 and was told that the pools were heated to 80- 90F. I haven't used the pools only the Hydrotherapy pool so I can't give a definite answer.

We have only cruised in the Caribbean. We are taking our first cruise to northern Europe next summer. I know it will be much cooler. So, how does that change the pool areas? I don't picture swimsuits and chair hogs - so what does the seaview pool area look like?

Thanks.

Don't count on it being much cooler, it may or may not be. We cruised Northern Europe and the Baltics last summer (July-August) and it was 90+ degrees everywhere -- there may have been a few days closer to 80 but not many. :)

Don't count on it being much cooler, it may or may not be. We cruised Northern Europe and the Baltics last summer (July-August) and it was 90+ degrees everywhere -- there may have been a few days closer to 80 but not many. :)

Agree. The weather can vary, even more than Alaska. We sailed on Eurodam for 22 days, Baltic, Norway and Ireland, in July a couple of years ago. The temps were in the mid to high 80s over half the days- over 90 in St Petersburg. Further north in Norway, and the last couple of days in Ireland, the temps came down to the 70s.

The pools are heated, but not to 80 or 90, at least not unless Mother Nature does the heating. I would think the warmest the ship deliberately would heat the pool to would be about 80.

Some research on the Europe Ports boards would be helpful.

Edited by CruiserBruce

The pools are heated but the P'dam does not have a retractable roof for the midship pool so may cool quickly if it is cooler outside. In the summer it will be swimsuits just as in the Caribbean. The temperatures can be checked on several websites so you have a clearer picture of what you may find on your cruise - weatherbase.com is a site I have used for this.

You will find chair hogs everywhere but most Med cruises are so port intense it

is not that much of an issue as say a TA cruise.

Have a wonderful time - cruising the Med is addicting!

Thanks.

Sea View Pool area on the P'dam is very nice.

I've never found it or the Lido overly crowded.

I would definitely pack your swim suits. And layers. As others have said, it can be very hot in some locations and cooler in others.

Enjoy your cruise and the magic of the ports :)

For the responses. I have checked temps - we are doing a couple of Fjords and Iceland - and although I know weather can fluctuate - it appears that their normal temps are chillier than Caribbean temps.

I will pack layers - and I knew to bring my swimsuit - love the hydrotherapy pool!!

thanks!

Pat