Train from Venice to Rome

amyscruising

Your ship is scheduled to dock at 7am....but dockings can sometimes be slightly delayed at any port. The 9AM recommendation should work, but you might consider a little later so you can have a relaxing last morning breakfast and not get caught in the mad rush to get off the ship. If you are very mobile and intend to do it all on foot you will need some time to get to the People Mover...and then about 20-25 min to walk from the P. Roma People Mover Station over to the train station.

Hank

We are also taking the train to Rome after getting off the Rhapsody. We purchased the 9:25 train tickets. We have a sea day on the way back to Venice which gives the ship lots of leeway to make the docking time of 6:45. We will walk off with our luggage and plan on an hour to get to the train station which still gives us over an hour of extra time.

My wife and dad have problems with steps so I don't want to pull our luggage over that bridge to the train station so we may just purchase the Vaporetto ticket for the one or two stops unless Royal offers a shuttle.

Take a road taxi then from main cruise terminal to Piazzale de Roma. Then walk across the new glass footbridge along the quayside and the plain station (Ferrovia - St Lucia) with the FS symbol on the front and steps and disabled ramp is on your left .

Be alert to guys offering to help with your bags to the station, they are un employed and have been known to dissapear with bags. certainly dont let them out of your sight . Caveat Emptor they expect to be paid and HANDSOMELY !!!!

Finally for seat booked trains the paltform of departure is not put up till 20 minutes before departure for security reasons . The big YELLOW sheet listing all departures in time order will show you the normal platform of PLANNED departure .

I tend to look at decisions like this as tradeoffs, in this case between time on the ground and stress level. While I hate to give up time in Italy, I dislike stress while on vacation more so I would do as Hank suggests and plan to enjoy your last morning on the ship and take a later train. There is simply no way to predict how quickly or slowly a ship will be cleared for disembarking and this is completely out of your hands.

Thanks for all the input. Our thought was to book the train for around 10:00. I did not know we could get a land cab to the bridge near the train station. We will be a group of 6 or 8...would we need 2 cabs? Any idea of the cost. We have studied photos of the bridge and we think we can navigate the steps because they are shorter. I plan on one rolling case per person.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are also taking the train to Rome after getting off the Rhapsody. We purchased the 9:25 train tickets. We have a sea day on the way back to Venice which gives the ship lots of leeway to make the docking time of 6:45. We will walk off with our luggage and plan on an hour to get to the train station which still gives us over an hour of extra time.

My wife and dad have problems with steps so I don't want to pull our luggage over that bridge to the train station so we may just purchase the Vaporetto ticket for the one or two stops unless Royal offers a shuttle.

Just a note about that Pedestrian bridge. It does have quite a few steps...but they are designed as very low steps. This still might not work for you..but wanted others to know that it is manageable as long as one is somewhat mobile and can handle their luggage. We have never heard of a shuttle from the cruise port to the train station (it would have to be a boat).

Hank

You cannot get a land cab to the station at the bridge (Santa Lucia). Land taxis must go to Mestre, about five miles away. You would absolutely need at least two cabs, maybe three. At about €40 each that's going to add up.

With that many people it would be economically efficient to take a water taxi directly from the cruise port to Santa Lucia. Everyone and their luggage will be able to fit into one and while at about €80 it's expensive for a couple, divided up among a group it's not so bad.

I think it's a pretty long walk from the pier to the shuttle that takes you to Piazzele Roma. The shuttle will put you right in the People Mover but some of your party may have difficulty getting to the shuttle.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just a note about that Pedestrian bridge. It does have quite a few steps...but they are designed as very low steps. This still might not work for you..but wanted others to know that it is manageable as long as one is somewhat mobile and can handle their luggage. We have never heard of a shuttle from the cruise port to the train station (it would have to be a boat).

Hank

I agree completely that the Pedestrian bridge is quite easy for most people to cross. That realty is the best way for those who can manage it. Our circumstances are not the average so we must adjust. My wife unfortunately, has bad knees and any step/stair is painful. While a few can be managed, 40 or 50 of them is just to much.

I wish they had a shuttle like a small train/tram that would take you from the cruise luggage terminal over to the people mover. Or create a path through the parking spaces that went direct to the people mover. Cut the distance in half.

In most cases it is not too much of a walk from the terminal to the people mover and then a quick trip via Water Taxi to the train station.

i just got home from Venice yesterday. Do NOT count on this being a quick transfer to the Santa Lucia train station. I just recently did this a couple times. I am very efficient with my transfers with walking, buses, subways etc. Especially if your ship isn't at the closest dock, just getting to the people mover, is going to be a long walk hauling luggage (which too many people over pack). There are taxis to Plaza Roma. Then the walk across the bridge mentioned above. Be advised= IF you take the People mover, if you aren't at the front of the line, the 2 kiosks to buy the tickets quickly back up There was over an hour wait for passengers getting off the ship as we were arriving. A line of at least 100 people with further fumbling by people who weren't savvy about buying tickets.

Be advised that there were woman at the train station, offering to "help" with ticket purchases, (common in Rome Metro stations as well) who take your change or have their hand out for a "tip".

Some will also need to have your credit card PIN with the purchase.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of people who just don't manage the machines well. There is a walk up ticket counter, that operates with a ticket number system for the lines, so be sure to get a ticket and don't just don't get in line.

Along with the luggage "helpers" at the bridge, you are likely to encounter them on the train platform too. My advice is to not let anyone touch your luggage; hang on to it tightly. The "helpers" may aggresively grab your bags then demand large tips!

We are very seasoned travelers and this happened to us - some in our party handed over 10 Euro. I found yelling loudly works better ;p

You cannot get a land cab to the station at the bridge (Santa Lucia). Land taxis must go to Mestre, about five miles away. You would absolutely need at least two cabs, maybe three. At about €40 each that's going to add up.

With that many people it would be economically efficient to take a water taxi directly from the cruise port to Santa Lucia. Everyone and their luggage will be able to fit into one and while at about €80 it's expensive for a couple, divided up among a group it's not so bad.

This suggestion gets my vote, especially for people with mobility issues.