Cruise Aug 11th 2014, Ocean Princess,Transportation to Military Tatoo

k-Rey

Hi, I have not posted before, so here it goes. We are on Ocean Princess and going to be at the port Rosyth on the 13th. Were wanting to explore in the day time in Edinburgh get back to ship and go to Military Tatoo in the evening. We figure hop on hop off bus getting there from the nearest train station. Is there a free shuttle to train from the ship? Also after the show, what is the best, and easiest way to get back to ship as I know it will be late and dark.

Hi, I have not posted before, so here it goes. We are on Ocean Princess and going to be at the port Rosyth on the 13th. Were wanting to explore in the day time in Edinburgh get back to ship and go to Military Tatoo in the evening. We figure hop on hop off bus getting there from the nearest train station. Is there a free shuttle to train from the ship? Also after the show, what is the best, and easiest way to get back to ship as I know it will be late and dark.

Hi, you may want to post this question on the roll call page for your cruise....

Here is the link....

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1911973

Hi there, I am a volunteer at the port so can hopefully help you.

First of all Rosyth is mainly an industrial port, about 15 miles from Edinburgh and currently there is a major project underway to construct a new crossing for the river. They are working on it in the port then moving it out onto the water. This means for Health and Safety reasons, no-one except workers is allowed to walk around the port area. You will be transported from the ship to the terminal by free shuttle. We have not had a Princess ship in yet this year at Rosyth (but got Ruby again at Queensferry tomorrow :)) but I think Princess offers a shuttle to the railway station at Inverkeithing. I will check that out tomorrow and reply again.

There is an excellent service to Edinburgh from Inverkeithing- trains usually every 15 mins at least during the day. If you look at this website, you will be able to create a timetable.

www.nationalrail.co.uk

Once you've got the times you want, you can scroll down and choose to create a pdf pocket timetable. Make sure you go to the main station in Edinburgh which is Edinburgh Waverley. It is a fairly short walk (uphill) from there to the Royal Mile or one of the main stops for the hoho bus is on Waverley Bridge next to the station. There are 5 different hoholines so if you have any idea what you would like to see in Edinburgh I would be able to advise you which bus to take.

When we went to the tattoo, we just got the 11:20 p.m. train back and then a taxi from Inverkeithing so a train both ways is quite possible. Obviously the easiest way, however, is by taxi and it cost around £40 to get back to Rosyth port from the castle area. You would need to book a taxi in advance as it gets very, very busy as thousands of people spill out onto the streets.

Happy to give you more info for your trip to Edinburgh if you need it.

Thanks so much for your information. I'm not too sure how to move around on Cruise Critic yet and where to post. So when we get out of the Tattoo, will we need a taxi to the Waverly station to get back to the station close to the ship? Also should I book tickets ahead on the train?

Thanks

Thanks so much for your information. I'm not too sure how to move around on Cruise Critic yet and where to post. So when we get out of the Tattoo, will we need a taxi to the Waverley station to get back to the station close to the ship? Also should I book tickets ahead on the train?

Thanks

k-Rey, don't worry about where to post. Most people here are pretty helpful - that's why we all join up! - and we all have to start some time. I will just say what a wonderful resource it is. We DIY all over the world and it's thanks to the great help we get here and on TA.

First of all, it will be FAR quicker to walk back to the station from the castle as no traffic is allowed in the area at the tattoo. Anyway it should only take 10-15 minutes to walk to Waverley. When you leave the Castle, walk down the Royal Mile till you come to a street called Cockburn Street. It is on your left just before a woollens shop, a restaurant called Bella Italia and a major road junction at the second set of traffic lights. If you walk down Cockburn Street you will see the entrance to Waverley Station at the bottom.

You can buy an off-peak day return to Edinburgh from Inverkeithing and it costs around £5.50. No booking in advance for these tickets, and the only condition is that you have to start your journey after 9:15 a.m. You can buy your ticket on the train but if you have time I advise doing it at the ticket office in Inverkeithing just in case the train is very crowded. You can pay by GBP or visa etc. Anything else just ask.

Edited by tartanexile81

Is there anything interesting there if a person does not want to go to Edinburgh. We have been there.

Also, are there taxis or anything else but the train to Edinburgh?

Caroldoll

There are various places you could get to several of which would need a taxi at least part of the way. However there was a German ship in overnight last night and we were able to give directions for some people who wanted to get to St Andrews by train or bus. There is a major bus station nearby although getting out of the port will either need a taxi (£5) or the shuttle. You get to Edinburgh from there in 30 minutes.

Our group runs a free shuttle bus to a local town called Dunfermline (15 minutes). It was the ancient capital of Scotland and has an historic old quarter which is good to walk around, a lovely big park donated by Andrew Carnegie, his birth place museum (really interesting!) and various buildings donated by him / his family. Lots of the German cruisers really enjoyed their day there.

If you like walking, you could get a taxi a few miles or a bus and visit one of the seaside places nearby and walk along the coast, following a path called the Fife Coastal Path (details here http://www.fifecoastalpath.co.uk/)

You could take a taxi into Dunfermline and get a bus to Stirling or go to Stirling by train from Inverkeithing - one change

How about visiting the Falkirk Wheel - by train? http://www.thefalkirkwheel.co.uk/

There are stately homes in the area - Hopetoun House, the House of Binns, Falkland Palace

Culross is an historic village with good walks a few miles from Rosyth.

Or although you've visited Edinburgh I could suggest some different things for you to do, taking the bus or train. I know walks off the beaten track or there is an exhibition of the American Impressionists on just now. Or have you visited the Royal Yacht Britannia? We love the Royal Botanic Gardens and every season brings something different. Lots more too!

We will go over this with our neighbors and see what they want to do.

There seems to be a lot. We loved Edinburgh the last time and I think they have been there. Anyway, if we can take a taxi, that is enough.

You have been so kind to lay all this out and thanks for the links.

Carole

We will go over this with our neighbors and see what they want to do.

There seems to be a lot. We loved Edinburgh the last time and I think they have been there. Anyway, if we can take a taxi, that is enough.

You have been so kind to lay all this out and thanks for the links.

Carole

Just let me know if you want any more info about any of the places

Thanks so much for your information. I'm not too sure how to move around on Cruise Critic yet and where to post. So when we get out of the Tattoo, will we need a taxi to the Waverly station to get back to the station close to the ship? Also should I book tickets ahead on the train?

Thanks

You walk from the castle to the station. There is no way for a taxi to get to you with all the crowds. It is downhill all the way and a 10 minute walk.

k-Rey, don't worry about where to post. Most people here are pretty helpful - that's why we all join up! - and we all have to start some time. I will just say what a wonderful resource it is. We DIY all over the world and it's thanks to the great help we get here and on TA.

First of all, it will be FAR quicker to walk back to the station from the castle as no traffic is allowed in the area at the tattoo. Anyway it should only take 10-15 minutes to walk to Waverley. When you leave the Castle, walk down the Royal Mile till you come to a street called Cockburn Street. It is on your left just before a woollens shop, a restaurant called Bella Italia and a major road junction at the second set of traffic lights. If you walk down Cockburn Street you will see the entrance to Waverley Station at the bottom.

You can buy an off-peak day return to Edinburgh from Inverkeithing and it costs around £5.50. No booking in advance for these tickets, and the only condition is that you have to start your journey after 9:15 a.m. You can buy your ticket on the train but if you have time I advise doing it at the ticket office in Inverkeithing just in case the train is very crowded. You can pay by GBP or visa etc. Anything else just ask.

Thank you for taking the time to answer our questions. Do you know if we can see the inside of the Castle when Tattoo is set up? When I was there a few years ago, we were not allowed inside during that few weeks. We are trying to decide which HoHo tour to take. Thank you.

Why not just stay in Edinburgh all day.

The fringe is on there will be loads going on in the streets.

Could even book a couple of shows as well as the tattoo

https://www.edfringe.com/whats-on/programme

Train both ways(plenty of time with it being an overnight).

Have you got your tattoo tickets?

Thank you for taking the time to answer our questions. Do you know if we can see the inside of the Castle when Tattoo is set up? When I was there a few years ago, we were not allowed inside during that few weeks. We are trying to decide which HoHo tour to take. Thank you.

Yes the Castle is open throughout the tattoo. I understand it is closed for part of the day on 10th August for a special ceremony but otherwise it is fine. It can be very busy so booking in advance on the Castle website is a good idea.

I used to love being at the castle for the firing of the 1 o'clock gun, a cannon which is fired every day at 1 from the castle battlements and reverberates across the city. Apparently it was fired at that time every day so the captains of the ships down at Leith (when Leith was a thriving port) could set their timepieces for navigating!! The tradition still continues despite satellite navigation etc.

There are also special events at the castle most days and if you check here

http://www.edinburghcastle.gov.uk/events

you can find what is on during the day you are visiting.

Where exactly is the exhibit of American Impressionists? (DW is an art teacher.) We are on the same cruise.

(I do not understand why the reply with quote feature did not work.)

My quote button has worked only sometimes this week, but as you see it's worked now. :)

Here's a link to the info about the exhibition.

http://www.nationalgalleries.org/whatson/exhibitions/american-impressionism/

There's actually a free mini-van which runs from the National Gallery in Princes Street down to the Scottish Gallery of Modern Art and back, if you want to see this exhibition. It's not far away from the city centre but certainly easier on the free transport. http://www.nationalgalleries.org/visit/how-to-find-us-119/

Edited by tartanexile81

Why not just stay in Edinburgh all day.

The fringe is on there will be loads going on in the streets.

Could even book a couple of shows as well as the tattoo

https://www.edfringe.com/whats-on/programme

Train both ways(plenty of time with it being an overnight).

Have you got your tattoo tickets?

While you are being so helpful, here's one more question.

Our ship is docking in Rosyth. What is our best means of transportation to and from there to Edinburgh?

If you look at Post #3 on this thread I explained how to get to Edinburgh from Rosyth.

Princess and HAL offer shuttle buses to Inverkeithing station so train will definitely be your best option. Trains are fast and frequent, and you get to cross the Forth Rail Bridge :).

• 11 months later...
If you look at Post #3 on this thread I explained how to get to Edinburgh from Rosyth.

Princess and HAL offer shuttle buses to Inverkeithing station so train will definitely be your best option. Trains are fast and frequent, and you get to cross the Forth Rail Bridge :).

Hi, I am wondering if you can tell me if Princess still offers the shuttle to the Inverkeithing Station. If so, do you have any idea an approximate schedule they run? I am traveling on the Ocean Princess later this summer and am trying to make plans for the days we are there. Would you recommend going to Dunfirmline? How many hours would you say you would want to take to see the town? We have never been to Scotland.

Thanks for your help.

The shuttle bus seems to run every 30 minutes and with train 5-6 times an hour from Inverkeithing to Edinburgh Waverley.

We get lots of positive feedback on the free shuttle to Dunfermline that we offer. Here's a summary from wikipedia and see if you think it will appeal to you. The shuttle bus to and from Dunfermline only runs in the morning, first one usually at 9.30 last one returning 1:30.

The shuttle bus seems to run every 30 minutes and with train 5-6 times an hour from Inverkeithing to Edinburgh Waverley.

We get lots of positive feedback on the free shuttle to Dunfermline that we offer. Here's a summary from wikipedia and see if you think it will appeal to you. The shuttle bus to and from Dunfermline only runs in the morning, first one usually at 9.30 last one returning 1:30.

We were in Rosyth June 19 and we took the free shuttle to Dunfermine and really enjoyed it. It is a beautiful city with very interesting architecture and scenery. The bus had a volunteer guide on board describing the sights and they even took us underneath the Forth bridge for panoramic pictures. Thanks to everyone involved.

We were in Rosyth June 19 and we took the free shuttle to Dunfermine and really enjoyed it. It is a beautiful city with very interesting architecture and scenery. The bus had a volunteer guide on board describing the sights and they even took us underneath the Forth bridge for panoramic pictures. Thanks to everyone involved.

We went on this bus last August 14th.

We very much enjoyed the Carnegie Museum.

At that picture stop, we got off and walked to the aquarium, another attraction we thoroughly enjoyed. There was one more bus after that bus, and we asked if we could take it back to the ship. The volunteer answered yes if there two seats available. (If there were not, we would have taken a cab back.) It turned out there were exactly two seats which included the volunteer giving up her seat.