Chankanaab - worried about cutting myself

tbmrt

I had an awful experience years ago in St. Thomas...I got carried away and drifted over coral. Didn't get cut, but the water suddenly got low and I had to hold my butt up and float away from that area!

Are there areas in Chankanaab where I should specially look out for low water/situation as above?

You are going to have almost the opposite sensation. Most all of the snorkeling area in Chankanaab is very deep. I know what your are talking about, I've snorkeled an area in Aruba that was very, very shallow. But it was on purpose and with a guide. :D

Visited Chankanaab on a Wednesday with only 2 ships in port. Took a cab for $11 from Princess' Puerto Maya (sp?) dock. (No one around to share cabfare with). We had forgotten to take singles with us and only had a $20 bill. Driver said he had no change. So we asked at check-in desk and they couldn't help us either. Went to shop there and a really nice gentlemen took change for $20 from his own wallet for me. He told me that the taxi drivers always say they have no change...happens frequently. Heard that this is a usual scam at many ports...Maybe we were lucky or always had the right cash, but this is the first time it happened to us.

We then went to pay entrance fee with credit card. Gave them a $2 off coupon and was told that it was no good. Said they only honor those printed directly from their website. They said charge was $21.00 per person...So we gave them a credit card and they said it was declined. Shocked and upset since there is no way this should happen (even called cc company before leaving to tell them we'd be in Cozumel). They tried again and said it was declined again.

We didn't offer to pay cash so they then said, "let me try another machine"...it worked. Not sure if their machine was actually broken or it was a scam to get people to pay cash instead of CC.

We entered and were amazed at the beauty of Chankanaab. It was very empty - only 2 ships in port.

We had our own equipment so didn't rent anything.

Snorkeling was truly amazing...like being in an aquarium as soon as we entered the water. Saw lots of different fish including some pretty large, colorful one. Swam quite far left to right and saw a small barracuda right before the dolphin area.

They have metal steps to enter the water which are mossy and slippery, so I just sat on my butt and lowered myself down these into the water...Easy entrance...Was just a push off from the steps and we were snorkeling. Same thing returning. Just grabbed the railing and plopped on my butt to go up the slippery steps.

Took a quick walk through the grounds and grabbed a taxi back to ship. Short ride back, but fasten your seat belts...drove very, very fast! (Asked attendant first to ask driver if he had change...all OK!)

No charge for nice wooden chairs in shaded hut with very comfortable though odd shaped "lounges" in front of chair if one wanted to sun.

We've been to many places in Cozumel, but this was our favorite. Money Bar is free, but didn't like the atmosphere, being too close to boats and it was a little rough getting in and out on their ladder.

It beat Maya Key at Roatan hands down. Only place better was Belize.

I couldn't disagree with this statement more. :confused:

While Chank has a few coral heads, it's not even an actual reef! I'm glad you guys liked it, but I'll never pay to go there again. Were you unable to get to the reef in Roatan... or were the conditions just horrible?

While Chank has a few coral heads, it's not even an actual reef! I'm glad you guys liked it, but I'll never pay to go there again. Were you unable to get to the reef in Roatan... or were the conditions just horrible?

We did not see many fish at Maya Key. Most of the coral near the end of the pier was brown. Maya key was so crowded in the water and the path through the coral so narrow that a kid pushed my daughter into the coral. The area at the end of the path was ok but during the times we were there last week, Chankanaab beat Maya Key. Belize beat everything I've been in the past.

I think a lot of the problem at Maya Key was so many people in the water. There were 3 ships in port. No one in family wants to ever go back there. It was just disappointing after all the hype.

I think a lot of the problem at Maya Key was so many people in the water.

Yeah, large crowds and diving don't mix well... even in Roatan, our favorite spot. It's the same reason I'll never go back to Trunk Bay on St. John's. It felt like we were at a water park. :(

I didn't see colorful coral at all, but was more amazed at the tremendous amount of colorful fish, large and small.

We didn't go to Roatan this trip.

Barbara

• 2 weeks later...

I think I read they have scuba there? I'm going back to Cozumel in 2015 and I will be with 3 non-divers. I've never been to Chankanaab and if we could all go and I could dive that would be great.

Where did you snorkel in Belize...Not on any upcoming cruiseport list, but would like to know for future.

Thanks

Barbara

Just realized I didn't answer your question. For Belize we took a private boat excursion to Shark Ray Alley and then over to the reef for snorkeling. Ivar was always in the water with us, pointing things out and leading us through the coral. It was our favorite day of the cruise. Now whole family wants to go to Belize for a land vacation to see more ruins and snorkeling.

Where did you snorkel in Belize?

We went to Goff's Caye and it was awful. Want to do better next year.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

We were at Shark ray Alley and then over to the reef that is with in sight of. It is part of the Preserve because the ranger came over checking on the boat and counted people to make sure the marine fees got paid. We went to Caye Caulker for lunch. LOVED it!

After we left shark ray alley we saw the cruise ship excursion pull up. They were packed and only in the water a few minutes. Next time I looked they were gone.

Highly recommend Ivar Marchand!!!!!!

30 years ago we spent a week on Ambergris Caye and snorkeled almost every day. It was the best but we can take a weeks cruise for the cost of airfare because we live in Tampa during the winter. Thank you for the recommendation.

• 4 weeks later...

To answer your question about Chankanaab and getting caught in a "sharp" situation...it can happen. The rocks are along the sides of where you snorkel at (which is the wall as you enter). The steps to get in and around it is clear, but when you snorkel, it's up and down the wall area. There are a few spots that if you allow yourself, you can get pushed by the waves and get "caught", having to turn around and go out because it gets a little shallow. However, you will be against mostly rocks, not coral. Just don't go in to the little areas (not a lot of them) that are close to the wall and you'll be fine.

I have 2 reviews of Chankanaab listed in my signature and they have pictures (and links) to the snorkeling (and the park) there if you are interested. :)

I think I read they have scuba there? I'm going back to Cozumel in 2015 and I will be with 3 non-divers. I've never been to Chankanaab and if we could all go and I could dive that would be great.

From what I saw, I THINK that the diving you can book at Chankanaab is an operator who will pick you up there and take you out to the other reefs.

If you want to dive, I'd book a two tank dive with one of the many fine operators in Cozumel, and then meet the non-divers later in the day. If your boat docks at 7, and you can depart from the marina at 8, if you book with a fast boat, you'll be back around noon or 1. OR find an op that will combine a scuba/snorkeling trip. (I've heard Scuba with Alison will, and I'm sure there others who will too.)

But I don't think if you dive at Chankanaab that you will actually be -with- the snorkelers.

Edited by skittl1321

From what I saw, I THINK that the diving you can book at Chankanaab is an operator who will pick you up there and take you out to the other reefs.

If you want to dive, I'd book a two tank dive with one of the many fine operators in Cozumel, and then meet the non-divers later in the day. If your boat docks at 7, and you can depart from the marina at 8, if you book with a fast boat, you'll be back around noon or 1. OR find an op that will combine a scuba/snorkeling trip. (I've heard Scuba with Alison will, and I'm sure there others who will too.)

But I don't think if you dive at Chankanaab that you will actually be -with- the snorkelers.

I know they do have a dive shop there at Chankanaab and they do dives right there at Chankanaab in the same area as the snorklers. But, I'm not sure if they go even further out or what comes after that. We have seen the divers go out to the middle of the snorkeling area by the statues. Here's a picture my hubby took of them when he was out there snorkeling.

IMG_5768-L.jpg

• 1 month later...
Thanks Mitsugirly! Oh, my gosh! I'm going on a cruise in November and of course, I'm already drooling over excursions. This is definitely one is a must! Your description (not to mention your great pics) were super helpful.

You are very welcome. Have a wonderful time. :)

Where did you snorkel in Belize?

We went to Goff's Caye and it was awful. Want to do better next year.

I was on Goff's Caye last Nov and I had a wonderful time. The water was crystal clear, and reef so large in many places we had to cross over one by one. Lots of urchins. Saw a huge school of blue fish, just missed an eagle ray.

What was so horrible about your trip?

They took the boat about 300 yards off the island and we swam back to the beach. We did not go to a reef. It may have been our vendor's fault. It was not a sip excursion. They have us life vests which were awful for experienced snorkelers instead of snorkel vest. The water was in plastic pouches. The island was beautiful but we were looking for good snorkeling. It was recommended my a trip reviewing site so I am suspicious of some of those wtiteups. I have over 30 writeups on that site so next time I will look at other items by that same person to ensure authenticity. I am a very positive person and try to give good reviews but I was angry over this excursion.