Fly into MIA or FLL for Oasis cruise ?

travelingla

I am making this too complicated....:rolleyes:

Maybe if I think out loud someone can hear me.....:confused:

Trying to find flight to FLL for Oasis cruise early winter 2016......golly pricing is so high now (over $500 pp) with awful layovers -- can't handle less than 1 hour in ATL or IAH.....so looking at probably flying in on a Thurs pm to have enough time on Friday to enjoy FLL (cruise is Saturday).

I can drive 3 hours to catch a non-stop to MIA..... that would really be ok since the price is less than $200pp and we do not mind that drive.....

Big delima is how to easily get from MIA to the Hilton Marina (if fly in late Thursday will prob just stay near MIA airport and go to FLL Hilton Friday morning.....or if find good flight times to get to FLL near noon on FRi that would give us time to explore the Marina area before dinner Fri)

Then on cruise return Saturday get from our ship in FLL to MIA for 3:45 flight.

Trying to figure out if the MIA flight is worth the 'hassle' of getting transport to FLL......... by that time I've probably spent $500 in gas and transportation and leaving our car for over a week.

Gee -- did I just talk myself into spending $1000 on airfare to FLL to and from my home town?? :eek: Craziness!

If anyone has had a good experience from MIA to FLL hotel and then from FLL ship to MIA I'd surely like to hear it. Thanks for listening!;)

I am making this too complicated....:rolleyes:

Maybe if I think out loud someone can hear me.....:confused:

Trying to find flight to FLL for Oasis cruise early winter 2016......golly pricing is so high now (over $500 pp) with awful layovers -- can't handle less than 1 hour in ATL or IAH.....so looking at probably flying in on a Thurs pm to have enough time on Friday to enjoy FLL (cruise is Saturday).

I can drive 3 hours to catch a non-stop to MIA..... that would really be ok since the price is less than $200pp and we do not mind that drive.....

Big delima is how to easily get from MIA to the Hilton Marina (if fly in late Thursday will prob just stay near MIA airport and go to FLL Hilton Friday morning.....or if find good flight times to get to FLL near noon on FRi that would give us time to explore the Marina area before dinner Fri)

Then on cruise return Saturday get from our ship in FLL to MIA for 3:45 flight.

Trying to figure out if the MIA flight is worth the 'hassle' of getting transport to FLL......... by that time I've probably spent $500 in gas and transportation and leaving our car for over a week.

Gee -- did I just talk myself into spending $1000 on airfare to FLL to and from my home town?? :eek: Craziness!

If anyone has had a good experience from MIA to FLL hotel and then from FLL ship to MIA I'd surely like to hear it. Thanks for listening!;)

Where are you flying from?

As for flying into MIA and getting to Fort Lauderdale cheap you can do it for $5 http://www.tri-rail.com via the tri-rail right from Miami Airport.

When getting off tri-rail in Lauderdale there are free shuttles.. Looking at the map for one of the routes you can take the shuttle to the Art Institue of Fort Lauderdale.

http://www.tri-rail.com/connection-maps/102313_FL2_Map.pdf

5 min walk up the street from there is Hilton Marina - or take very short taxi from Art Insitute

Google maps says 6 min walk

Untitled.jpg

Edited by jb456

If you are planning to spend a day in FLL prior to your cruise I would rent a car at MIA and drop it at FLL the morning of your cruise - gives you the flex to stay where you want, dine where you want and go where you want. The drive from MIA to FL takes 45-60+ minutes.

Edited by JohninDC

Is there a reason to stay at the FLL Hilton? If you can arrange to spend only one night precruise you can stay in Miami and take a shuttle (like Go) from your hotel to the port at FLL for about $25pp. It is expensive going from the MIA airport to Fort Lauderdale because of some local regulations that bar FLL shuttles from the MIA airport. We are planning on booking a private car from MIA to our hotel in Fort Lauderdale and expect to pay about $100 one way. IMHO Miami is a more interesting city to visit than Fort Lauderdale.

As to parking costs - we usually take a car service or shuttle to LAX because the cost of parking is high at the airport. You might be able to find cheaper parking in off lot parking at the airport. I know we have several airport buses from distant cities to get to the airport. I do not like taking them because of the rigid schedules.

From the ship to MIA we usually fly American - so we take the ship's transport ($30 last time). The buses are lined up and drop us off at a special check in spot at the airport where we can check luggage and get boarding passes.

Good luck on your decision. I think you are like me - I will spend the money but I want some value for the cost.

Edited by skandls

Probably the easiest way is to just get a taxi at the taxi stand when you want it. It costs about $75-$95 (one way) depending on traffic to go from MIA to the port area. You can also book a private towne car service for about the same price. They can arrange to hold up a sign with your name in the baggage arrivals area. Larry's Limos is one of the services that has MIA privileges.

There is also a hotel right inside MIA.

Edited by royalcruz

Is there a reason to stay at the FLL Hilton? If you can arrange to spend only one night precruise you can stay in Miami and take a shuttle (like Go) from your hotel to the port at FLL for about $25pp. It is expensive going from the MIA airport to Fort Lauderdale because of some local regulations that bar FLL shuttles from the MIA airport. We are planning on booking a private car from MIA to our hotel in Fort Lauderdale and expect to pay about $100 one way. IMHO Miami is a more interesting city to visit than Fort Lauderdale.

As to parking costs - we usually take a car service or shuttle to LAX because the cost of parking is high at the airport. You might be able to find cheaper parking in off lot parking at the airport. I know we have several airport buses from distant cities to get to the airport. I do not like taking them because of the rigid schedules.

From the ship to MIA we usually fly American - so we take the ship's transport ($30 last time). The buses are lined up and drop us off at a special check in spot at the airport where we can check luggage and get boarding passes.

Good luck on your decision. I think you are like me - I will spend the money but I want some value for the cost.

$100 between two people or are there others to split the cost? Why not take the tri-rail from MIA airport to Fort Lauderdale for $5 each person -then taxi from train stop to hotel? 2 people probably cost less then $15 each.

Edited by jb456

Great ideas here. I too was looking at traveling from Miami to FLL. I had no idea that you had less expensive options. I was thinking along the same lines as the OP. I have to explore these options. I have a party of five, so the cost savings may help.

I have another twist on Mia to FLL, this time Miami port to Ft Lauderdale port.

Will be going on a b2b on the Carnival Splendor, than thinking about heading to Ft Lauderdale to pick up the RCCL Allure.

I wonder there is any problem in picking up a cab, and the cost of it.

:cool:

Will be going on a b2b on the Carnival Splendor, than thinking about heading to Ft Lauderdale to pick up the RCCL Allure.

That is what I'm doing in March. Getting off the Breeze in Miami, then boarding the Regal Princess in FL on the same day. I will probably fly into FLL on Southwest from PHL. I am still considering what hotel to stay at the day before my cruise.

Sue

Great ideas here. I too was looking at traveling from Miami to FLL. I had no idea that you had less expensive options. I was thinking along the same lines as the OP. I have to explore these options. I have a party of five, so the cost savings may help.

From MIA to FLL you mean? If so tri-rail is the cheapest. http://www.tri-rail.com/

If it's during the weekday total for 5 of you would be $18.75 and weekend would be $25.

Tri-rail station at MIA airport. Take tri-rail to Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood Internation airport at Dania Beach. Once off train they have free shuttle that drives you to airport.

Edited by jb456

Guessing taxi would be around $100 or so

If your only 2 people maybe an option to save is a shuttle to FLL. Believe SAS is $15 per person from Port of Miami to FLL. Then jump in a taxi to Port Everglades which should not be more then $20. So your looking at half the cost of a taxi. Just an idea :)

I did FLL to the Port of Miami last year with 5 of us. We landed in FLL, had a rental car reserved at the airport, drove 5 minutes to our hotel in FLL, drove down the road to get dinner at Chipotle then back to the hotel. That morning we had the free breakfast at the hotel, drove to a Wal-mart that I found on google to load up on a couple packs of sodas and water shoes, bottled water. Then I dropped luggage off at the port, kept the carry-ons with us, drove to the rental car place, waited maybe 5 minutes for their shuttle and then back to the port.

I did stop somewhere close to the port to put more gas in the car, probably about $7 worth.

I found a coupon online for the rental so a total cost of transportation for 5 was about $55, with a free grocery store stop. I'm doing the same thing this year, it was a cost savings for us to be able to go where we wanted for dinner that night and arrive at the port on our own time.

Thank you. I think I am going to look at Miami as another option. It appears to save us a little bit on each ticket, which adds up when you have 5 tickets. I am wondering if SWA is going to have competitive rates. They haven't started selling tickets for March, 2016 yet.

Edited by MaiseyM

btfly745, do you have to schedule a time with the rental car company to take their shuttle back to the port after dropping off the rental car? Did you drop of your group and only you take the shuttle or everyone take the shuttle back?We'll have six in our group so we're trying to figure out what will be the least expensive option but not too much of a hassle.

btfly745, do you have to schedule a time with the rental car company to take their shuttle back to the port after dropping off the rental car? Did you drop of your group and only you take the shuttle or everyone take the shuttle back?We'll have six in our group so we're trying to figure out what will be the least expensive option but not too much of a hassle.

It was just myself and 4 children, the oldest being 16. We dropped off our checked luggage at the port and kept our carry-ons with us. We all drove to the rental car place and waited just a few minutes to get on the shuttle to the port. Very quick and efficient.

This was our 1st cruise so the older 2 teens didn't feel comfortable waiting at the port for me to come back, so we all rode there.

I don't remember having to call the rental place when we arrived back although I made sure to have their number handy. I seem to remember them making continuous rounds at the port - either looking for those with reservations or even for people wanting to rent at the last minute.

I felt comfortable driving around Fort Lauderdale and into Miami that morning, so I plan to do the same when we fly again in October of this year.

Last year, we picked up the rental and drove to Disney for a couple of days before flying out of Orlando.

This year, we will just pick up the rental and use it just for shuttle. Our plane leaves at 3pm from FLL, so we'll hang around Miami for a little (maybe a mall), grab some lunch then head to FLL.

The rental car companies that shuttle to the port do the same thing several times a day. They made it really easy and it was nothing to stress over. The guy was very helpful and wanting to load our carry-ons for us, so we tipped about $1/bag.

I believe I used Budget and thankfully he didn't wait until the shuttle van was full to drop people off. Loaded up whoever was ready and drove right on.

Just be certain to use a rental company that provides shuttle to the port. Otherwise you'll end up paying more to have a taxi take you to the rental company.

If you rent from Alamo, Thrifty, or National and return the car to the MIA airport you can ride their free shuttle to POM -- plus you get to avoid the "fun" of driving in downtown Miami traffic. ;)

If you rent from Alamo, Thrifty, or National and return the car to the MIA airport you can ride their free shuttle to POM -- plus you get to avoid the "fun" of driving in downtown Miami traffic. ;)

Thanks. I didn't know that and may consider that option. Do you know what time the shuttle service starts? We were driving on a Saturday morning so the traffic didn't seem bad, but I'm definitely willing to let someone do the driving for me.