Buying bottles of Wine in Barcelona

spmurdock

Hey everyone, we fly out on August 11 to Barcelona to board the August 12th sailing of the Equinox for the 14 night Med cruise. We want to purchase a couple bottles of wine prior to boarding the ship so that we can enjoy a glass of wine on the Veranda. I seem to remember when we boarded another Celebrity ship in Barcelona (The Solstice)about 3 years ago that there was wine for sale in the terminal. If I dreamed this and there is no wine for sale in the terminal, can someone tell me a good place to ask the Taxi Driver to stop so we can purchase a couple bottles of wine? Thanks so much for all your help!

Barcelona is one of the few ports where you can buy wine inside the terminal. Did that one time, going back into the terminal after we had checked in and brought back two bottles plus a case of water.

Edited by CathyCruises

Yes Barcelona does have wine in terminal. Last fall many people were going back out to get more wine before the ship sailed.

I can't tell you exactly where the wine shops are in Barcelona, but there is one right off Las Ramblas above the Columbus monument. It is a side street, I think beyond the entrance to the metro closest to the Monument. Also at least a couple in the Old Quarter area.

We sailed from Barcelona on the Solstice 2 years ago and in the terminal they had 2 or 3 wine stores together with souvenir shops. The variety was very good and the prices competitive with outside shops. Also, unlike Celebrity's US ports of embarkation, they were noticeably very lax with the 2 bottle rule.

Hi Cathy

Does any terminal a, b , c , d has the wine and case of water or a specific one ? Also do you know how can I know in advance which terminal Equinox will be on Aug 26th ?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We sailed from Barcelona on the Solstice 2 years ago and in the terminal they had 2 or 3 wine stores together with souvenir shops. The variety was very good and the prices competitive with outside shops. Also, unlike Celebrity's US ports of embarkation, they were noticeably very lax with the 2 bottle rule.

Do you know if any and all ships can use the duty free, or just ships that have ports of call outside the EU?

Do you know if any and all ships can use the duty free, or just ships that have ports of call outside the EU?

There is no such thing as 'real' duty free in Europe really anymore, so the shops are open to everybody for all destinations and not restricted.

Hi Cathy

Does any terminal a, b , c , d has the wine and case of water or a specific one ? Also do you know how can I know in advance which terminal Equinox will be on Aug 26th ?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Terminals A, B and C are full service, while D is somewhat limited. They have actually expanded the availability of wine on my last sailings from B and have not been in A or C this year.

The port of Barcelona website is down at the moment.

With AidaBlu and Costa Deliziosa the other ships in on August 26th though, I would assume you will be at A or B.

Actual location is only available weekly on their website I believe, while port traffic is available for the entire year.

Edited by MADflyer

There is no such thing as 'real' duty free in Europe really anymore, so the shops are open to everybody for all destinations and not restricted.

Thank you Madflyer for your response. We are cruising out of Barcelona for the first time on the Oasis of the Seas in Sept. The Duty Free shop will make things so much easier.

Thank you Madflyer for your response. We are cruising out of Barcelona for the first time on the Oasis of the Seas in Sept. The Duty Free shop will make things so much easier.

I know they are disembarking Oasis at both Terminals B and C. It will be interesting to see if they do embarkation from 2 terminals or just B.

The Oasis is a great ship and there is so much to experience. Enjoy your cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

For what it's worth, there is a local wine called Rioja, that is awesome. We bought a bottle in the supermarket on Las Ramblas and enjoyed it on our cruise last month. We also bought something in the shop at the pier but I don't remember what.

We also got a small bottle of Absinthe in a liquor store near the Columbus statue at the foot of Las Ramblas, and had to drink it on the cruise because US customs won't allow you to bring those back.

Local to CA, I guess. Here in KC I would consider any Kansas or Missouri wine as "local".

It's like they say - to an Englishman, 100 miles is a long way. To an American, 100 years is a long time.

I worked with people in Denver who commuted 100 miles to work every day.

Agree that there is no specific definition of local --- still to my way of thinking 300 miles is not local. But what matters is you found a wine you liked. Next time try the wine shop at the back of La Boqueria ---last time we were there the pleasant fellow who ran the shop found us a lovely Spanish rose.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 3 weeks later...
Are there no shops at terminal D? I just noticed that is where we will depart this time. thanks. Alice

The only clue is that the website was updated this year to state:

The Port de Barcelona passenger cruises terminals offer:

•Air conditioning

•Public telephones

•Foreign exchange

•Duty free shops

•Souvenir shops

•Bar-restaurant

•Shuttle bus to city center

•Taxi rank

This would seem to indicate that shops have been added at Terminal D as well.

Hopefully someone who has sailed from D will respond here.

• 2 weeks later...

Wondering if anyone boarding the Epic in Barcelona can provide info on duty free shop - I believe we board in Terminal A - and I understand the duty free liquor store is BEYOND the scanners at ground level - wondering about any success in getting wine/liquor on board post security and pre-boarding?

Hey everyone, we fly out on August 11 to Barcelona to board the August 12th sailing of the Equinox for the 14 night Med cruise. We want to purchase a couple bottles of wine prior to boarding the ship so that we can enjoy a glass of wine on the Veranda. I seem to remember when we boarded another Celebrity ship in Barcelona (The Solstice)about 3 years ago that there was wine for sale in the terminal. If I dreamed this and there is no wine for sale in the terminal, can someone tell me a good place to ask the Taxi Driver to stop so we can purchase a couple bottles of wine? Thanks so much for all your help!

Check out El Corte Ingles in Placa Catalunya. If you tell the taxi driver, he'll know. It's kind of like the Spanish version of Macy's but with food and other stuff. They have really nice bottles of wine on their bottom floor in their Gourmet Club section. The bottles range from about 10 euros all the way up to 1,000! You'll be guaranteed that the wines will be quality.It's kind of a hidden gem when it comes to buying wine in Barcelona. Also, if you ride the elevators to the top floor you can have a little bite to eat and get great views of the plaza!

Edited by SunshineAndWine

Doing transatlantic in oct, Barcelona to Miami on NCL Epic. Does Epic go out of Terminal A or B in Barcelona. Is there shops in the terminal to get soda, water, wine? Are the shops before or after you go through security? Can you board and come back off to go to the shops?

Please advise.

Thanks