Palma de Mallorca Pier

Wine-O

Last time in Palma we docked on the other side of town from downtown Palma near where the commercial ferries come in. As I recall, it was quite a distance to downtown and too far to walk, and Celebrity busses transported us free of charge to the vicinity of Carrer Muelle, near the Cathedral de Mallorca. I'm sure it will cost now for the bus.

Anyone been to Palma recently and can tell me if this is still the case?

You can know your pier beforehand here:

http://www.portsdebalears.com/25.php3?idioma=eng

Almost all ships dock at Peraries / Poniente piers, near the city, since they can handle 6 ships now.

If you sail on Aida you'll probably go to Dique del Oeste, further from the city.

You can take bus number 1 in both cases to reach the city. Only at Dique del Oeste you'll have to walk or take a shuttle to exit the port.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, you are getting a lot of us cruisers! Not sure if that's good or bad for you, but...

Anyway, I'll be doing my day in Palma in late August. Just wanted to add that unless I'm looking at the bus 1 routing wrong, it picks up right outside the port on its way to central Palma. However, when it comes back, it appears to stop a little farther away. It doesn't appear to be a big deal, and I'm guessing that with a little luck and a good map, it will be easy to navigate myself to my ship - but I just thought I'd point that out in case the original poster ended up taking the bus! I believe the fare is 3 euros, and from what I've heard, there is usually an electronic board inside the bus which shows the next stop, which makes it easier to find your stop. I noticed, also, that Palma bus has a great web site, with bus numbers keyed to major attractions that those buses pass. Excellent!

The public buses in Palma are super easy to use and very regular. I would recommend getting th bus to the Cathedral area then a taxi/bus to visit Castel de Bellver and then you can take a nice walk back down the hill and through the residential area (just make sure you take some water, its hot on that hill!) back to the sea front and along the road to the port.

Palma = best city in the world! :D

Wow, you are getting a lot of us cruisers! Not sure if that's good or bad for you, but...

Anyway, I'll be doing my day in Palma in late August. Just wanted to add that unless I'm looking at the bus 1 routing wrong, it picks up right outside the port on its way to central Palma. However, when it comes back, it appears to stop a little farther away. It doesn't appear to be a big deal, and I'm guessing that with a little luck and a good map, it will be easy to navigate myself to my ship - but I just thought I'd point that out in case the original poster ended up taking the bus! I believe the fare is 3 euros, and from what I've heard, there is usually an electronic board inside the bus which shows the next stop, which makes it easier to find your stop. I noticed, also, that Palma bus has a great web site, with bus numbers keyed to major attractions that those buses pass. Excellent!

I've never taken that bus, but I'm pretty sure that you can get on and get off just in front of the main cruise terminal of Peraires / Poniente (or Estacio Maritima like displayed on the bus). You don't even have to walk out of the port area.

That bus route runs 16km from the Airport to both port terminals along the bay, every 13 minutes during peak season and for 20+ hours a day. On the way Airport - Palma Centre - Port it makes a bit of a detour to stop at the main cruise terminal Peraries / Poniente, then it continues to the other pier (used mainly by Aida). On the way Port - Palma Centre - Airport, it makes a slightly shorter detour to stop also in front of the main cruise terminal and continue to the city centre.

Anyway, it's impossible to get lost on the way back to the port. You can see the ships from miles away, and probably many passengers will also get off there. Just make sure you stop at your terminal, wich you'll recognize as you would have already been there. Like I said, most ships dock at the main terminal, and the other one is much further away.

Bus number 1 schedule for very peak season, starting 1st July

http://www.emtpalma.es/EMTPalma/Front/imgdb/264467.pdf

Edited by Elmartellama

I've never taken that bus, but I'm pretty sure that you can get on and get off just in front of the main cruise terminal of Peraires / Poniente (or Estacio Maritima like displayed on the bus). You don't even have to walk out of the port area.

That bus route runs 16km from the Airport to both port terminals along the bay, every 13 minutes during peak season. On the way Airport - Palma Centre - Port it makes a bit of a detour to stop at the main cruise terminal Peraries / Poniente, then it continues to the other pier (used mainly by Aida). On the way Port - Palma Centre - Airport, it makes a slightly shorter detour to stop also in front of the main cruise terminal and continue to the city centre.

Anyway, it's impossible to get lost on the way back to the port. You can see the ships from miles away, and probably many passengers will also get off there. Just make sure you stop at your terminal, wich you'll recognize as you would have already been there. Like I said, most ships dock at the main terminal, and the other one is much further away.

Bus number 1 schedule for very peak season, starting 1st July

http://www.emtpalma.es/EMTPalma/Front/imgdb/264467.pdf

Thank you; good information to know, especially if the bus on the way back really stops right at the port. We are scheduled to dock at Peraires, so at least I know that part for sure - unless, of course, the port changes the dock location at the last minute! But I have been to Palma before on a ship, so I think I'll notice if something is different. Last time (2005) I awoke, looked out, and saw the beautiful, tall Porto Pi lighthouse from across the water. Was that Peraires? I DO remember that we rented a car that time, and ended up walking what seemed a very long walk to the car rental place. Taxi drivers at the port wouldn't take us, as they wanted to take people on tours. 9 years later, I'm a little smarter, as I've figured out that the bus is right outside, and easy to take! I think we just need to go 4 stops to get to the Auditorium stop, cross over to the other side of the street, and find Europcar, which is a little back from the street. (I don't remember if we used them before or not, or where we ended up going for the rental car, just that we DID get our exercise!)

Edited by roothy123

OK, I just looked at the schedule again. Am I right in thinking that when I take the #1 back from center city (direction of the port), I need to get off at that stop 15, Estacio Maritima? I think that's what you've already confirmed, but just wanted to make sure, as it does go to a very slightly different place than where I pick the bus up from after leaving the ship. Also, it appears that I can take the 41 bus back to the same place, as it has an Auditorium stop and a "Port de Palma (Estacio Maritima)" stop listed as well. Is that correct?

I think you do, the bus makes a detour to the left to enter the port and stop at the Peraries / Estacio Maritima, before going to the other pier. It's printed that way on the map. Just ask the driver if you have doubts.

I don't think they will change piers anyway, maybe the exact berth can change, but they all share the same terminal. I wouldn't worry too much.

And yes, the bus stop is called Port de Palma (Estacio Maritima), which is listed in both directions. That's why I'm pretty sure they both make a loop to get on and get off at the main cruise terminal.

The only problem would be, after disembarking, to get on a bus that goes to the Dique de l'oest pier (other pier) instead of going to the city. I guess the driver would warn you, but to avoid that just make sure you get on a "Airport-bound" bus to go to the city, and a "Dic de l'oest bound" bus on the way back. Off course getting off and on at Estació Marítima.

Estació Maritima / Peraires is close to the Porto Pi lighthouse and shopping mall, like you say.

Thank you all for the great info on here.

We'll be in Palma in November. We'd like to see the Cathedral and that area of the city, as well as Castle Bellver if that's really feasible. Looking at the city map, the cruise terminal seems relatively close to Castle Bellver (though I realize the Castle is up a hill). If we wanted to visit the Castle before going into the main part of town, what would be the best way to get there from the cruise terminal? (It sounds like taxis won't be very willing to take us for that short trip.)

If we were to leave the Castle visit for the end of our day, what's the best way to get there from the Cathedral area, and then the best way to get from the Castle to the cruise terminal?

Many thanks for any help with this.

Yes that would be a good idea although I have to warn you I am a real do it yourselfer when it comes to cruising using local transportation rather than tour providers. I have a lot of info and always welcome more but my focus in ports may be different. Also we go to the canary islands which I think you guys miss.

What is your email? I'll email you.

OK, I just looked at the schedule again. Am I right in thinking that when I take the #1 back from center city (direction of the port), I need to get off at that stop 15, Estacio Maritima? I think that's what you've already confirmed, but just wanted to make sure, as it does go to a very slightly different place than where I pick the bus up from after leaving the ship. Also, it appears that I can take the 41 bus back to the same place, as it has an Auditorium stop and a "Port de Palma (Estacio Maritima)" stop listed as well. Is that correct?

When leaving the ship toward the city and airport the bus leaves right in front of the cruise ship terminal. The bus from the city would again come back here from the end station but would take time.

When coming from the city you can get off at stop 14 Club de Mar and walk over the bridge which takes you right to the cruise terminal. You can also get off at stop 15 and then make your way to the cruise terminal. I have always gotten off at 14 so looking at google maps I always am curious of the bus route between these two stops. If getting off at stop 14 it is better to continue up the hill and then turn at the street that has the bridge over the main road.

From 15 you have to make your way across the road and then through the port area.

Yes that would be a good idea although I have to warn you I am a real do it yourselfer when it comes to cruising using local transportation rather than tour providers. I have a lot of info and always welcome more but my focus in ports may be different. Also we go to the canary islands which I think you guys miss.

What is your email? I'll email you.

We also love to do touring on our own. Not a big fan of groups on and off tour buses. No we don't go to Canary Islands.

My email is: onecent41@aol.com

Madflyer, do you think getting off at another stop will save much time or walking? I looked at a map and the Estacio Maritim stop looks a tiny bit closer and easier than the two you mention, but of course, I am open to suggestions! Then again, are you saying that the bus comes back to the exact same street when it's going east to west (airport to port)? For some reason I was thinking it stopped a little farther away. Of course, I am looking at the map on Google Earth, and perhaps I need to look at a map provided by the bus web site, assuming they have one. I'll look some more.

In any case, we will probably allow plenty of time and get off at the closest stop to the port and pier, even if it take a little longer. My husband will probably appreciate that, as he's not a huge walker. In any case, it's nice to know that we'll probably be able to see the top of the ship from anywhere around the area! I can't get too lost if that's the case!

Irina, I sent you an email. Might want to check Spam if you don't see it. Subject was Barcelona Lisbon or something like that!

Turtles6, I notice nobody has answered your question - probably by oversight! I think I remember seeing a bus listed that goes to the Castle. I would probably go to the bus web site and find the page I saw that lists attractions and the number you need to catch to get there. Other things I find useful are downloading Google Earth (a little different from regular google maps) and looking for a bus icon near anything you want to visit. You can also drag the little yellow man down to any street that has a purple line to see what's there. You might also be able to go to http://www.maps.google.es to see maps that will allow you to do something similar. I think you right-click to get something that asks if you want to see what's there and then it will provide a street view. I know it works for http://www.maps.google.pt (for Portugal); think it works for Espana too! You can ask for directions from one place to another and then select the mode you want (car, public transportation or walk) and it will give you a routing.

If the bus doesn't go to the castle, I'd probably just walk out of the port and try to find a taxi on the street somewhere, as they are more likely to be willing to take you wherever you want to go than the cab drivers sitting right at the port - or perhaps I'd come back to the port after exploring by the cathedral and perhaps in the afternoon drivers will be more than willing to take a shorter-haul customer than they were when we left the ship!

Edited by roothy123

Madflyer, do you think getting off at another stop will save much time or walking? I looked at a map and the Estacio Maritim stop looks a tiny bit closer and easier than the two you mention,

Stop 15 is the Estacio Maritim outbound stop that continues to the end stop at the other port. The one in the port area, Estacio Maritim stop 26, is only the stop in the direction of the city and airport.

The stop prior has the only convenience that you can take the bridge over the road and straight ahead to the cruise terminal. The security area to the cruise ship is the very last building. The distance is about the same, I would guess.

• 1 month later...

Just returned from Palma Aug. 26. Palma could not possibly make it easier for tourists to get around. The Hop On Hop Off bus was waiting when I ventured out of the port. (We came into "Muelle Poniente Sur, terminal 1," which is Pelaires.) The EMT bus stop for bus 1 to city center and also the airport is right next to it - very close. You'll probably pass the little tiny "cars" that can be rented for local travel. If you want to go to the beach, the bus is a little farther away.

On EMT bus 1, if you're just going to city center, the fare is 1,50 euros; for the airport it is 3. The driver will make change, although I wouldn't suggest giving him/her a ten euro bill! Just put the money on the little "counter" in front of the driver, tell him/her you're going to city center, and wait to get a receipt (and maybe change). Stops are marked on an electronic board inside the bus, so you can see your next stop coming up. ("Parada" is stop; I think it was "proxima" for "next" and the actual bus stop numbers are marked on the boards at each stop. We were only going to the Auditorium stop (not far) and this was one of the easiest bus trips I've made from a port.

Pre-trip I was a little confused as to just where to get off and how close it would be to the port, but it turned out to be easy as well. I think we just got off when we saw the ship. I think that was the Club de Mar stop. We basically cut over to the port. Whether that was the closest stop or not, I'm still not sure - but it was easy, and as Elmartellama and others have said, you can see ships docked at Pelaires/Poniente from Passeig Maritim (Gabriel Roca), so it's hard to get lost - and trust me, if it's possible to get lost, I am the one who will do it!

Thanks for all the help - it was wonderful to get out to beautiful Port de Soller, Banyalbufar, etc. - and the bus and bus web site were terrific.

Edited by roothy123