Recommended post cruise flight time in Santiago, Chile

clarka

Our NCL Sun cruise will end in Chile in January. The ship arrives in port at 8am. I understand the airport is 90 min away. What is the earliest flight time you'd recommend without risk of missing our flight home? Thanks in advance!

most flights are in the evening

there is an AC flight at 9 pm nonstop arr 5:40 am to YYZ

or you can find others mid day with a connection with a longer time frame for travel

Edited by LHT28

When we left from Santiago, we could only find flights in the evening--I think after 9 or so--for our schedule.

It ended up being a red-eye of course, but it wasn't too bad.

We took a tour of Valparaiso, the wine country and a brief tour of Santiago itself that then dropped us off at the airport in the evening. It was a very nice day and at least we got to see a little of Chile.

Disembarkation in Valparaiso involves a shuttle from the pier to the terminal followed by standing in long queues to be sniffed by agriculture beagle before even claiming your bags. I wouldn't even book a connecting flight within South America before 1:30/2:00. Flights direct to North America are all overnight; if later than 8pm you can take a ship excursion that ends at SCL. Or break up the chore of disembarkation and transfer and fly out the next day.

I would take advantage of being in Chile and spend a day touring Valparaiso, and then a 2nd day touring Santiago, with an evening flight out. How many times will you ever visit there again? Might as well grab that chance now if you can spare a couple of days. We stayed at the Manoir Atkinson in Valparaiso, a nice boutique hotel near the waterfront. Ask for room #7 on the top floor. It has a large balcony that wraps around three sides of the room, with views of the Pacific and the town.

http://www.hotelatkinson.cl/ingles/gallery.php

Edited by PTMary

My flights home from Santiago (twice) have left late in the evening, no matter if I was flying to Miami or NYC. I believe most all the flights to North America leave late evening.

I learned the hard way, after 33 and 39 hour days, that it is much better to head into Santiago, take a tour if you like, then stay overnight.

The next day you can sleep in a lot later than disembarkation day, and that helps immensely. You can have a relaxing day, a decent dinner---get a late check-out---then head to the airport.

If you fly out on disembarkation day, even after a tour, you spend hours just sitting around waiting to leave. It is exhausting, and then there's hours of flying time ahead!