Ketchikan 'on the cheap'?

Mikee355

My wife and I (age 60) are cruising Alaska in mid-August on HAL Zuiderdam (our first ever cruise!) Our ports are Juneau, Skagway, and Ketchikan plus a Glacier Bay day. After watching these boards for some time, we blew our excursion budget on Harv & Marv's whale watching in Juneau plus the Chilkoot Yukon rail/bus tour to Lake Bennett in Skagway.

So my question is: does anyone have recommendations for how to spend our port day in Ketchikan without an excursion or, at best, with an inexpensive excursion or tour? A related question would be how enjoyable would it be to simply spend the day onboard ship while in port?

If money was no object, I'd love to flightsee Misty Fjords or do a bear watching excursion out of Ketchikan but, alas, our budget has reared its ugly head.

Any and all comments would be welcome!

you can get on the city bus ( it boards by the eagle by visitor center ) and go too totom byte park. also you can walk from the ship too creek street and take a nature walk there. the tram that goes up the steep stairs is also there for a few dollars. there are many things too do in ketchikan for free or very little. have a great time.

If mobility isn't an issue, consider walking to the Totem Heritage Center, then visit Creek Street (touristy but interesting) and detour along the Married Man's Trail. If any of that sounds interesting, I can give you more specific info.

The Visitor Center at the dock also has maps for a walking tour.

In addition to the already good suggestions, there are several good museums in Ketchikan that are free or nearly free.

Although you have not asked about Juneau, I can recommend the Alaska State Museum which is wonderful and you can spend hours there if you wish. Also, take public transport to Mendelhall which is very inexpensive.

DON

Don't know if you like walking/hiking, but here is a great post about walking tours in all the ports, just in case you have time/interest to do so in addition to Ketchikan...http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1573031

We, too, have hit our budget ceiling (plus I chickened out on going on the Misty Fjords flightseeing tour on my own as boyfriend won't go), so we'll probably just walk around in town and go to Totem Bight State Park...

Hope this helps!

Allowing for varied touring, I recommend getting off your ship early, have a bus schedule.

Go to Totem Bight and Potlatch park. These are native intense activities, not available in your other two ports. The bus runs once/hour. With an early am start- the bus stop is across from the Eagle totem on the dock. There is a sign near the corner. You want the BLUE bus. Ride it to the end. Online there is a totem guide for Totem Bight you may want to print and bring with you. It is a loop trail. Then walk over to Potlatch Park, for their exhibits. Return to the bus stop. IF you have a later arrival, or see hords of people on the side walk- on the dock- then board the bus at the library. A couple block walk. Having a map is a benefit, but asking around, with also direct you there.

For Totem Bight- allow 3 hours- yes- you will get plenty of 2 hour recommendations, but you may have extended waits depending when you get to the bus stop. Allow another hour for Potlatch Park. Again, the time could be an hour less.

I would definitely recommend the walking tour. The visitor's center gives out a map. Ketchikan was really pretty to walk around. We went in mid-august too, and there were lots of salmon swimming upstream. There were also some fun craft oriented stores in Ketchikan that we enjoyed. Also - definitely bring raingear - it frequently pours, but if you are dressed appropriately, you will still have a great time wandering around.

We did exacty what several people suggest you do in Ketchikan. Take the public bus and visit Totem Bight Park and Potlach Park.

I did a "Live" posting from our cruise. This is the link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1697232&page=2

The Ketchikan post begins at # 40 at the bottom of page 2.

I agree with Budget Queen that an early bus is best. If you read my post you will see that I missed a bus because I was buying a native carved Ulu knife. {i do not regret this--The knife is beautiful and I got it half price at the end of the season]

We ate at a restaurant adjacent to Creek Street. We had soup and apps. More food that we needed and very reaosnable.

We did Alaska on the High--Low plan. We spent money on priority trips and saved money when we could.

Enjoy your cruise.

Thanks for the info. Taking the blue bus there and back was already on our itinerary. I just didn't know, beyond the $1 bus fare, whether we'd be facing admission. I just about choked when I learned the lumberjack show is $35!!

Here is the link to the map and description of things along the walk in Ketchikan. Very worthwhile!

http://www.experienceketchikan.com/support-files/ketchikan_maps_downtown.pdf

If interested in renting a car, read this post for some ideas of what to do. This is a long, long thread on Ketchikan, if you care to browse it.:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=29166166&postcount=398

We thoroughly enjoyed the Southeast Alaska Discovery Center in Ketchikan. If you have a national park pass, entry is free. This site says it is $5 otherwise:

http://www.experienceketchikan.com/southeast-alaska-discovery-center.html

The Cape Fox Lodge in Ketchikan has some great totems to see. We stopped here as we did our self-walking tour of Ketchikan. We took the funicular up to it. Back in 2008 the cost was $2.

http://www.experienceketchikan.com/native-american-totem-poles-3.html

Totem Heritage Center in town. We also stopped here along our walk:

http://www.experienceketchikan.com/totem-heritage-center.html

Dolly's House is just a fun stop:

http://dollyshouse.com/home.html

Links for Totem Bight and Potlach Park that were referenced above, accessible by city bus or taxi:

http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/units/totembgh.htm

http://www.potlatchpark.com/

The Cape Fox Lodge in Ketchikan has some great totems to see. We stopped here as we did our self-walking tour of Ketchikan. We took the funicular up to it. Back in 2008 the cost was $2.

We wanted to see the funicular, too. But, it is not always running. We did not get to rifde it up and id not want to walk. :p

We wanted to see the funicular, too. But, it is not always running. We did not get to rifde it up and id not want to walk. :p

I suggest, when running- take the funicular up, and return via the Married Man't trail. At the end you are on Park- turning right- has you in the Totem Heritage Museum, Hatchery direction. Passing the right turn, and staying on Park- brings you to the salmon ladded, depending IF the salmon is running- which you would have already known.

Thanks for the info. Taking the blue bus there and back was already on our itinerary. I just didn't know, beyond the $1 bus fare, whether we'd be facing admission. I just about choked when I learned the lumberjack show is $35!!

I always recommend printing and bringing the totem guide with you for Totem Bight. They do run out. http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/units/totembgh.htm

If you plan on visiting both Potlatch Park and Totem Bight, you need to allow 3/4 hours, including wait times. This is assuming- people not being on the dime for the exact bus times- which means the added minutes of waiting.

You could also just go chill at the Arctic Bar with the locals. Ask they bartender and they can have your lunch delivered from Burger Queen right across the street.

http://www.arcticbar.com/

We did this, last year- since it was pouring. :) One of my nephews got an open seat for Misty Fiords- and I took my husband and other nephew over. Great use of "time". :)

Walking around town you'll find plenty of things to do! Of course 'on the cheap' means different prices to everyone but I'll drop some options & suggestions for under $40/person.

Museums around town:

- The Southeast Alaska Discovery Center is $5/person - this is a great place to spend time. There are lots of exhibits, a must-see movie, great bookstore, & any info you would want (it's an Alaska Information Center too). It's only a block or so away from Berth #1 & 2.

- Totem Heritage Center also $5/person - has authentic original totem poles rescued from abandoned villages plus exhibits of baskets, masks, etc. The photos on the walls from the villages are what I love! It's located near City Park.

- The Tongass Historical Museum is $2/person and is located just next to Creek Street. Their exhibits change during the year and it is always amazing to see what they are showing.

- The Fish Hatchery & Eagle Rehabilitation Center -$12/person (you can purchase a combo ticket with the Totem Heritage Center for $15). **Please note that this may be closed in 2013 - there has been talk lately. I will update when I hear anything definitive** A great place to go to see eagles up close and to learn about the Salmon life cycle.

Totem Poles & Parks:

- There are several 'free' Totem Poles located around the downtown area (approximately 7 just in the downtown area!). And several people have already mentioned going to Cape Fox Lodge to see the Totem Circle. The only thing I would add to that is to make sure and go inside Cape Fox Lodge as on the ground floor and 2nd floor there are some incredible exhibits of masks, baskets, photos, etc. The funicular is right on Creek Street or as some have mentioned, there is a staircase on both Married Man's Trail or out to the street near the Fish Ladder. Pick up a copy of the Free Walking Tour Map and you'll see all of these spots listed.

- Totem Bight and Potlatch Park are located side by side about 10 miles North of downtown. As everyone has mentioned, the City Bus will take you there for $1/each way. There is no admission charge, however, Totem Bight is a State Park and donations are always accepted if you feel so inclined (especially if you take one of the printed maps!) Or you could always print one yourself before you go. There are also informational signs spread throughout Totem Bight, giving you some history of the poles & Clan House. Potlatch Park has a Totem Carving Shed where you may see a carver working and their tools, an antique car museum & an antique firearm museum that even if you're not a gun enthusiast, is worth checking out the fascinating items inside.

- Saxman Native Village is about 3 miles South of downtown and can also be reached via City Bus (or, if it's a gorgeous sunshiny day you can always walk there, there is a gorgeous path that follows the road - perfect for viewing the surrounding islands!). There is a small fee, last year's price was $5/person. Be sure to print out the totem descriptions as there are no informational plaques here. Saxman also has a Totem Carving Shed where you may be able to see actual carvers working away.

Walking around town:

- Be sure to check out the Staircase Streets....if you dare! :-) I love the view up the staircase over the Tunnel - great for photos of the town & Cruise Ships!

- Walk by the Ketchikan Daily Newspaper building and learn about their old press.

- Dolly's House is on Creek Street and is $5/person (as of 2012). Inside is an actual (not a replica!) 'working woman's' home complete with furnishings, appliances, hidden compartments, and, um.....tools. :-) It's an interesting stop. Or you could always give Dolly's girls a small 'tip' and get a photo with one of them outside.

- Take a look at the 'liquid sunshine gauge' located by the Ketchikan Visitor's Bureau building - yes, we get about 300 days of rain and it adds up!

- Depending on the timing of your visit, cruise down to the Stedman Bridge (just across the street from Creek Street) and watch the fishermen catch Salmon.

- Walk Married Man's Trail to the Fish ladder (again, in season) and watch the crazy kamikaze salmon hurtling their selves up the waterfall. Walk just down the street, just across the street from the American Legion building for the BEST viewing platform of the thousands of salmon waiting to try their luck at the waterfall.

- Look for eagles - they're everywhere, especially in the early part of the season.

- Cruise down to the marina and check out the fishing & pleasure boats. And check out the Ketchikan Yacht Club. If it's low tide, look for some starfish - if you're lucky you'll see some of the 'sunflower starfish' that can have something like 24 legs!

- Go geocaching! There are several geocaches in the downtown area!

- The Library has been moved but is still accessible by City Bus.

Go for a hike! (if you're going to do this, be SURE to pick up a 'spot' from the Visitor's Bureau so that if you get in trouble or lost you can activate the beacon and the Ketchikan Volunteer Rescue Squad can find you.

-The Deer Mountain trail is a GREAT hike and if you are willing to walk up the hill to the trailhead, will cost you nothing. Of course you could take a taxi up to the trailhead (my recommendation) or even catch the City Bus to the corner and walk up the hill to the trailhead. It's a tough'ish hike but the 1 mile lookout is absolutely spectacular (as is the summit!)

- The Rainbird trail is also a great hike and is a milder hike than Deer Mountain. It's within walking distance (though up a steep hill) or you could jockey the Bus system to get there.

- The Ward Creek Trail is spectacular as well but is best visited if you rent your own car, no bus service is available.

Go Shopping (or Browsing)...

While there are lots of jewelry stores and an adequate number of 'touristy stuff' - tchotchkes, t-shirts, hats, and the like, there are also several fascinating/local stores with very cool or unusual items! Here are some of my 'favorite' places - spots I take family & friends:

- Are you a quilter? Stop by the Silver Thimble Quilt shop for some amazing "Alaska" fabrics & kits. They're located in the Salmon Landing, just opposite the Lumberjack Show.

- Are you a beader/looking for yarn/craft supplies? Call for a free shuttle to The Point, located about 2 miles from downtown (next to the Safeway). Check out their amazing art from local artists - the pottery, paintings, & crafts are simply gorgeous. They also serve special soups & sandwiches daily.

- The Christmas in Alaska store is very popular for ornaments & all things Christmassy. :-)

- The SoHo Gallery is on Creek Street and has some fascinating art - folks from all around buy Ray Troll's t-shirts for his witty & colorful art.

- Also on Creek Street is the 'Ketchikan Carver on the creek" - a store for Norman Jackson's wood art

- Also on Creek Street is Sam McGee's - great for local jams & jellies (and has a free tasting station) coffees, chocolates, etc.

- Crazy Wolf Studio located just across the street from Whale Park is another great place for authentic, local art, totem poles, baskets, etc.

- Smoked Salmon? Walk up Mission Street to Salmon Etc on the right or the corner of Mission & Main Street for free samples & good prices.

- Chocolate? Be sure to walk to KetchiKandies - they have free samples of their homemade fudge and have spectacular chocolate covered Oreo cookies (my favorite is the mint/dark chocolate ones!) that are a favorite here. If you're already eating too much on the cruise, just walk by....the aroma of the fresh chocolate may just lure you in!

- I personally love the PNW native jewelry at Tom's Treasures, right beside the movie theater on Mission Street, there is tons to choose from (I own probably one of half the store! haha) and the owner is very fair & is open year round!

- I'm sure I've missed some....

- Tongass Trading Company is a large building located on the docks (with two other stores across the street) where you can find just about anything Alaska-related.

I'm sure I will get 'blasted' for this statement but it's my opinion. I feel that taking a tour teaches you more than just walking around a city, reading the info on the map. You won't find many tours that doesn't teach you about the surroundings, history, or information about the area. If you're not interested in that - OK, no problem.

If you are, there are only a few low-cost tours. One that I like a lot is the Ketchikan Duck Tour. It is 90 minutes for $40/Adult, $25/kids (if you pre-book! It $42 on the dock) and you are driven around the downtown historical part of the city where they talk about the history of the area. Then you drive into the water and cruise through the marina & Narrows. I find you get plenty of information but it's not a history lesson, they throw in humor so that it's not boring. You can get a good feel of the place during the tour and walk around afterwards to the spots you want to spend more time in.

I also like the Lumberjack Show! Not only do you get a show but learn a bit about the logging that was so prevalent in the area. I know someone has already commented on the price, but $35/Adult (half price for kids) for an hour show may not be too much for others.

I send family & friends on both of these tours regularly.

That's probably waaayyyy too much information but I hope the OP gets some ideas. :-)

Enjoy...

Rene