Dress Code

gkgk123ca

But that means 70% of men did NOT wear a tux. On my last cruise on Odyssey from from BA to Valparaiso, only 30% of men wore tuxes. Maybe that is the new trend? Does anyone else know what the percentages with tux on other cruises have been? I think that perhaps the packing of all the parts needed for a tux, for only 2 or 3 wearings in a 3 week period, is just too impractical, especially if your cruise includes other extensive travels tied-in to the cruise. On our last cruise, we did BA for 3 days before and then Santiago and Easter Island for 7 days after being aboard. We theoretically could have shipped my tux, studs, shoes, etc to and from Seabourn separately, but what a hassle! I hauled all my formal gear around for more than a month, just to wear it three times. BUT, I do like to dress well and appropriately for my spouse when she gets beautifully dressed for formal nights. I think as long as she wants to dress up, I'll just squeeze the tux in and not complain. Will I be the only guy on my next cruise in a tux?

But that means 70% of men did NOT wear a tux. On my last cruise on Odyssey from from BA to Valparaiso, only 30% of men wore tuxes. Maybe that is the new trend? Does anyone else know what the percentages with tux on other cruises have been? I think that perhaps the packing of all the parts needed for a tux, for only 2 or 3 wearings in a 3 week period, is just too impractical, especially if your cruise includes other extensive travels tied-in to the cruise. On our last cruise, we did BA for 3 days before and then Santiago and Easter Island for 7 days after being aboard. We theoretically could have shipped my tux, studs, shoes, etc to and from Seabourn separately, but what a hassle! I hauled all my formal gear around for more than a month, just to wear it three times. BUT, I do like to dress well and appropriately for my spouse when she gets beautifully dressed for formal nights. I think as long as she wants to dress up, I'll just squeeze the tux in and not complain. Will I be the only guy on my next cruise in a tux?

Each trip is different and you can only speak as you find on the one that you are on.

Some cruises you will see a lot of formal wear and other cruises you will see less.

People are not that bothered as long as they feel comfortable within themselves.

As Mr Luxury said, I've also noticed that it can depend on the cruise how those percentages fall. However, I'd say that 30% wearing a dinner jacket (tuxedo) is about correct for the last two cruises we've been on.

It's nice to hear a gentleman saying that he likes to dress appropriately for his spouse. My husband enjoys wearing black tie, but I think he's another that would actually prefer not to haul it all halfway across the world to wear a couple of times on a cruise. But, I love to 'dress up' and opportunities to do so on dry land are becoming less frequent, so I make a huge effort for Formal Optional evenings on our cruises. Therefore he packs it all, hauls it, wears it with a smile and our level of formality matches.

As Mr Luxury said, I've also noticed that it can depend on the cruise how those percentages fall. However, I'd say that 30% wearing a dinner jacket (tuxedo) is about correct for the last two cruises we've been on.

It's nice to hear a gentleman saying that he likes to dress appropriately for his spouse. My husband enjoys wearing black tie, but I think he's another that would actually prefer not to haul it all halfway across the world to wear a couple of times on a cruise. But, I love to 'dress up' and opportunities to do so on dry land are becoming less frequent, so I make a huge effort for Formal Optional evenings on our cruises. Therefore he packs it all, hauls it, wears it with a smile and our level of formality matches.

Good to hear,my wife and I are the same in this regard.

No point going to dinner dressed the same as the kitchen porter.:D

Edited by Mr Luxury

Maybe on the roll call for my next cruise I'll make it a point to ask others on the thread who are going on the same cruise if they would like to wear black tie and make reservations to join us for dinner on the first "tux optional" night. It's uncomfortable being the only one at a table in true "black tie" ...or the only one at a table who isn't! This way we can have a table of tuxedo'd men and beautifully-gowned women and let everyone else eat their hearts out.

Maybe on the roll call for my next cruise I'll make it a point to ask others on the thread who are going on the same cruise if they would like to wear black tie and make reservations to join us for dinner on the first "tux optional" night. .

That's a lovely idea! I love the idea of doing your own hosted table on formal night (or on the Chef's Dinner night for that matter, for folks who want to enjoy savoring all the courses at leisure). A cruise friend invited me to a table she put together on my first Seabourn cruise and I loved the idea so much that I stole it for my sailing last fall. It was a fun way to guarantee the kind of evening we wanted to have.

If you are on any of my sailings, I'll be happy to don my long gown and join you!

My next Seabourn cruise isn't until (alas!) 2-7-15 from Auckland to Denpasar...32 days. We're from Florida and are making this our 5th "round the world" trip. At Denpasar (Bali) when we leave the Odyssey, we stay 4 days, then a few days in Hong Kong, then a couple in London, then home. I will pack my tux for all that, so I may do a "James Bond" night and wear it in Bali or Hong Kong to dinner one night, just for the hell of it.

• 5 weeks later...

You rarely see jeans anywhere on board the ships people wear suits, tailored trousers and chino and linen in the Colonnade and patio grill.

Dress code is generally advised each day in the Herald Seabourns own news paper.

If you are looking for a more relaxed dress code I believe Seadream don't insist on jackets etc in the evening

If you do however enjoy wearing nice apparel why not give Seabourn a go.

Happy sailing!

• 3 weeks later...

Just back from two week cruise on Odyssey. Maître D did send back any man not wearing a jacket in MDR for elegantly casual. On resort casual short sleeve shirts were allowed. On formal optional I was in the minority wearing a DJ around 30% of us. I think with a much younger guests sailing with Seabourn we may have to accept that DJs and Tux remain in our wardrobes at home.

{quote}Just back from two week cruise on Odyssey. Maître D did send back any man not wearing a jacket in MDR for elegantly casual.{unquote}

Delighted to hear it. On our 32 day on Legend earlier in year people turning up casually dressed in MDR on Elegant Casual (even Formal Optional) evenings was regular occurrence. When I queried with Maitre d' he said it was the latest directive from Seattle as passed to him by Hotel Manager. Noticed in Herald each day it would state "Suggested attire: Elegantly Casual" not just specified as "Attire: Elegant Casual". He was unhappy and said many guests had complained but the Hotman gave the orders. Interestingly, we understand the Hotman left Seabourn this summer.

{quote}Just back from two week cruise on Odyssey. Maître D did send back any man not wearing a jacket in MDR for elegantly casual.{unquote}

Delighted to hear it. On our 32 day on Legend earlier in year people turning up casually dressed in MDR on Elegant Casual (even Formal Optional) evenings was regular occurrence. When I queried with Maitre d' he said it was the latest directive from Seattle as passed to him by Hotel Manager. Noticed in Herald each day it would state "Suggested attire: Elegantly Casual" not just specified as "Attire: Elegant Casual". He was unhappy and said many guests had complained but the Hotman gave the orders. Interestingly, we understand the Hotman left Seabourn this summer.

This is interesting as I have always noticed that if the Hot Man is not too good then the feel of the ship is not right.

I think with a much younger guests sailing with Seabourn we may have to accept that DJs and Tux remain in our wardrobes at home.

Don't throw all of us youngsters under the bus. I love dressing up for formal night. Granted, I don't pack a ball gown, but I'm always appropriately attired!

sorry for my ignorance - who is Hotman?

BTW, you never need a jacket in the Colonnade and I have seen many short sleeved shirts (not tee shirts) in the MDR on resort casual days.

Is it up to the HD on each ship to decide?

Abbreviation for Hotel Manager

The title has now changed to Hotel Director

Same man,same wages,different name.

sorry for my ignorance - who is Hotman?

BTW, you never need a jacket in the Colonnade and I have seen many short sleeved shirts (not tee shirts) in the MDR on resort casual days.

Is it up to the HD on each ship to decide?

Hotman is shorthand for Hotel Manager, or Director. Certainly in the MDR on resort casual you do not need to wear a jacket, a short sleeved shirt is considered acceptable, even the ones we in the UK call a polo shirt (like a tee shirt with short sleeves and a collar). I suspect the dress decisions actually at the dining room door are made by the restaurant manager, and they do vary in their attitude. Some very strict, some seem to be more concerned about not causing a fuss. There is a case to be made for both attitudes. The only problem for passengers being you can never be quite sure how the rules are applied; I have experienced varying attitudes from different Maitre'ds. Personally prefer to 'go with the flow' and just be appropriate. I think they have a hard enough job as it is with some recalcitrant customers!

24 pages worrying about whether or not you or someone will wear jeans in the dining room some evening!? It boggles the mind, it really does.

Editing to add: I do know how to spell 'unbelievable', but you can't change the title once posted. And yes, I did actually flunk typing in high school. Anyway, that's my story, to which I'm sticking.

Edited by countflorida
fat fingers

24 pages worrying about whether or not you or someone will wear jeans in the dining room some evening!? It boggles the mind, it really does.

Editing to add: I do know how to spell 'unbelievable', but you can't change the title once posted. And yes, I did actually flunk typing in high school. Anyway, that's my story, to which I'm sticking.

You know whats even more unbelievable? The number of people who think the dress code doesn't apply to them. Also the number of people who have numerous other lines to cruise on yet venture onto a line that has a dress code they're incapable of complying with - that they were forewarned about.

What is unbelievable to me (and it is common to dress code threads for every cruise line) is that some people think that if they keep repeating their opinion they are going to convince cruisers with the opposing opinion to change their minds. Not gonna happen.

There are two camps on every dress code thread -- one group that thinks the dress code must be adhered to strictly and that those passengers who do not do so are barbarians, classless, they belong on Carnival -- and a second group that believes we should live and let live and is not remotely affected by what other people wear.

It makes great reading.