Does any travel insurance cover Cancel for Any reason for more than 75% of trip cost

stipmom

Never bought insurance when I first book my trip because I feel cruise fare is refundable up to 75 days before so why buy it till then.

I realize that 18 months in advance anything can happen so I think I would like a CFAR policy. Three of the ports are in Israel and if the cruiseline switches them I might not want to do the trip.

Thanks

Never bought insurance when I first book my trip because I feel cruise fare is refundable up to 75 days before so why buy it till then.

I realize that 18 months in advance anything can happen so I think I would like a CFAR policy. Three of the ports are in Israel and if the cruiseline switches them I might not want to do the trip.

Thanks

Most insurance doesn't have CFAR . You can pay a premium and pay for it. Many cruise lines plans cover for CFAR.

The only one I know of is Holland America's in-house policy.

No 3rd-party policy I'm aware of offers more than 75%. I suppose they want you to have some "skin in the game" so you don't cancel at a total whim. (I guess Holland America figures they'll usually be able to re-sell the cabin, so it won't cost them nearly as many "real" dollars.)

I am not aware of any policy that pays more than 75% of the penalty in effect at the time of cancellation. That said, if you cancel before full penalty, you could get back more than 75% of your total costs, but you have to cancel before full penalty kicks in.

You must also purchase within the 14-30 day limit and insure the full cost of your trip.

• 2 weeks later...
The only one I know of is Holland America's in-house policy.

No 3rd-party policy I'm aware of offers more than 75%. I suppose they want you to have some "skin in the game" so you don't cancel at a total whim. (I guess Holland America figures they'll usually be able to re-sell the cabin, so it won't cost them nearly as many "real" dollars.)

We think that HAL's in house policies are really problematic! While they do give you decent cancellation coverage, their medical insurance is wholly inadequate. Folks spend a lot of money to cover their cancellation, but then often risk their entire net worth with the mere $10,000 in medical coverage. These days one should seek at least $100,000 of med coverage and we personally would be uncomfortable with less then $200,000. Many HAL travelers are Seniors on Medicare with no other medical coverage outside the USA.

Hank

Cruise line ins will pay 100% for covered reasons up to whatever limit, just like insurance from an insurance company For CFAR, cruise line ins is usually a credit you can use with that specific cruise line. If you CFAR a Princess cruise, don't expect to be able to book a Celebrity cruise if you got Princess ins. Whether that's an onerous issue is for you to decide.

Princess has a similar policy that pays 100 % for canceling. I think there medical is a little higher amount.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Forums mobile app

http://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/faq_answer_legal/Princess_Vacation_Protection.pdf

Princess has 2 policies.

Their regular policy, then their Platinum policy

CFAR for regular is Up to 75% credit

CFAR for Platinum is 100%

Medical is up to $10K or $20K for Platinum. Both are terribly inadequate