Formal dress...

Nu2li

Here is the dilemma...on Celebrity Summit I have been told that there are 2 formal nights. Is that FORMAL as in tux or suit or just more refined dress for the evening for men, meaning not as casual. ??? Is a dinner jacket or a sportcoat necessary? Would a tailored pair of nice trousers and a button down shirt suffice?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The dress expectation on Celebrity is basically the same as on HAL. For formal nights there are fewer tuxes than there used to be, but the minimum would be dress slacks, button down shirt, tie, & sportscoat (if not a suit). Skipping the tie or the jacket would not be acceptable - although it probably would be on some other lines (NCL comes to mind).

Sue/WDW1972

DCL Dream 11/7/14

Nieuw Amsterdam 1/11/15

Hi-

We've been on 15 cruises since 2006 (on RCI, Celebrity, HAL and Princess) and have found the formal night to be getting progressively less formal. Back in '06, there were many men wearing tuxes. Now, hardly anyone does. My spouse has even skipped the tie, and just opts for nice pants and a sports coat.

Women's dress runs the gamut from simple skirts to prom dresses. I either wear a sparkly pants suit or simple dress and never feel out of place.

Honestly, it's almost anything goes these days (although if you showed up for formal night in jeans or shorts, you may not see the best side of the maitre'd). - Diana, Musing About Cruising

I used to take my tux, but after a while it was a real PITA. Aside from the jacket and pants, you need suspenders, cummerbunds, studs, bow ties, tux shirts, etc.

The last straw for me was on the QE2 TA crossing, where it was formal every night except the first and last.

Meant to be tix or suit but they will accept a jacket and trousers without tie as acceptable

You will find a lot on celebrity in suits though as in tux

They will not deny you access, but you should wear a tie as a gesture of common courtesy to your fellow passengers, many of whom appreciate the atmosphere of a "formal night".

As a Celebrity cruiser I can tell you that at a minimum you should wear dress slacks, dress shirt with tie and a blazer or sport coat. My dh gladly wears his tux, white dinner jacket or suit. If you show up without a jacket they may offer you a loaner but yuck - think of the germs. Many of us ladies travel with evening gowns or cocktail dresses. My last cruise - 14 nights on Eclipse - most people were dressed very formal.

Here is the dilemma...on Celebrity Summit I have been told that there are 2 formal nights. Is that FORMAL as in tux or suit or just more refined dress for the evening for men, meaning not as casual. ??? Is a dinner jacket or a sportcoat necessary? Would a tailored pair of nice trousers and a button down shirt suffice?

Most nights are "Smart Casual and Above," meaning a sport shirt and slacks for men, while women will be comfortable in a skirt or pants and blouse, or casual dress. On "Formal" nights, both men and women may prefer more dressy attire, such as an evening gown for women and a tuxedo or dress suit for men.