Notes from a QV cruise - Rome to Southampton

Host Hattie

We disembarked QE 8 days ago after 2 weeks in QG.

There always seemed a reasonable choice on the daily menu, plus most evenings there was also the a la Carte.

However, there was a big emphasis on fish, with as many as 3 dishes being offered on the same menu.

Going off menu was same as usual with both Maitre d' and Head Waiter frequently asking if they could arrange anything. We had a whole Peking Duck one night and apart from incidental side orders, did not really require much else. Caviar was available on request.

One thing is for sure, you're never going to be going hungry.

BTW, QE's pizzas are better than QV's!

Stewart

We disembarked the QV in Rome on November 5th so we must have passed Hattie at Rome airport.

Have to say we thought the choice,variety and quality of food in the Britannia Restaurant was excellent on our 14 day trip.

However QE's scones are MUCH better than those at Afternoon Tea on the QV.

They were awful.

Hi,

Surprised how different your cabin was from 5192. I expected them to be mirror images. If I eventually get my photos sorted I'll post some of them as well (problems with corrupt files on the memory cards).

Have to say I agree about the menus. Especially the night where a couple of the canapes in the cabin were mozzarella and tomato, the amuse-bouche was mozzarella and tomato and the one starter on the menu was mozzarella and ... asparagus. Lazy is the first word that comes to mind

I did request shirred eggs for breakfast early on in the cruise and it had to be cleared by the maitre d'. As the final formal night approached we asked if caviar would be on the menu but were told "No, but would we like some?" So although definitely not invited, or encouraged, to order off-menu these two minor (in my opinion) requests were accomodated. Regarding the eggs: If the waiter had passed my request to the maitre d', he would then have had an excuse to come and chat to us. " Hi, I hear you've requested ..." and then, "I'm sorry but..." or, "It will be our pleasure..." Making me make the request through the maitre d' could be seen as an attempt to dissuade me from making the request at all.

On the plus side, with two notable exceptions, every dish was superbly cooked and absolutely delicious. (That's two out of sixty meals. Not bad at all)

Colin.

Excellent Hattie so pleased you had a good time. Thank you for your review and hope your knee is OK.

I agree with you about 4191. We had it in September and agree with you that it's very quiet.

Welcome home.

Thanks both

Hi,

Surprised how different your cabin was from 5192. I expected them to be mirror images. If I eventually get my photos sorted I'll post some of them as well (problems with corrupt files on the memory cards).

Nice to hear from you, I hope you had a good journey home.

It would be interesting to see your photographs, I would have expected them to be similar, were you happy with 5192 ?

I hope you can get your memory cards sorted out without too much trouble.

Edited by Host Hattie

It was nice to have drinks with you in 5191 Gill. We definitely prefer deck 5 to 4.

We had drinks in 4188 - a Q5 on this current trip and am amazed it has a shower curtain rather than screen.

It has been a bumpy rise in the Bay of Biscay last night so am pleased to get into the channel now.

We certainly felt the rolling on deck 8.

thank you for all your postings - i was on the Barcelona Civitavecchia before your cruise

i was not very happy at all - and i will never return to Cunard .

yes i was in QG and in a Q4 - butler and stewardess were very good

evening canapes were simply bad

i have Diamond - i find that bottle of P Acker simply disgusting and i only can describe the CWC party as " get a free drink asap "

exception made for the Grill party the hotel manager was never seen ...

very high prices for the wines and i found the cheese trolley in QG extremely poor ( even with a package of Boursin on it ) very loww quality

the great days of the QG as on QE2 are gone for ever !!!

Apologies for the delay but this should be a link to some photographs from this trip -

QV November 2016

I've not tried this before so let me know if it works !

Yes it works Hattie!

Thanking you for posting those lovely photos. That is where we will be in just over 2 weeks and just hoping for some warm weather.

It should be like having 2 Christmas celebrations; one on the ship (the more sedate kind) then directly to be with the family. Great to miss those December days of shopping mania and crowds!