Phones on Panama Cruise

safer

Probably texting.....as long as you don't do it frequently! You can say..."Is everything fine?"....they will respond, "Yes"...

You can also give them the contact # for the ship...it's in your cruise lines info....so IF there is an emergency, THEY can contact YOU!

We are going on a cruise to the Panama Canal and four other ports. We have Verizon as our carrier. What's the cheapest way to communicate to our family at home?

Thanks !!

Perhaps call Verizon and see what king of "at sea" plans they may offer. AT&T has several Cellular at Sea plans that we use frequently that are very reasonable and allow a mix of phone and text minutes. I would guess Verizon has similar options.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

call Verizon and talk to a people

I tried to answer my questions about international access via their web site and wa left scratching my head but 10 minutes with a people and I'd confirmed coverage for the countries I'd visit and the ship's I'd be on. Next we discussed option for minutes/dat/texts. I was able to add these features for the exact dates I'd be gone (pro-rated ... did not have to pay full months)

Had very good service too ....

CALL and discuss. You might still decide it isn't for you but I think you'll get good answers.

We are going on a cruise to the Panama Canal and four other ports. We have Verizon as our carrier. What's the cheapest way to communicate to our family at home?

Thanks !!

If it's no emergency, ask a waitstaff a day before where they get a free wifi in port. It's also their chance to be online with family and friends.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We use the free wifi in ports and send emails...our kids have their phones set to notify them right away when an email comes in, so they see it and respond. Its worked out great for us.

Last March there was a storm that hit home while we were away and it was nice to touch base with them while in port to make sure that they were both OK.

You really need to call Verizon to find out the cost of an international roaming package. The cheapest way to stay in touch is via Email. The second cheapest is texting but that is usually only available when in port unless you are on a ship with newer technology. JMO, I would just do email unless there is an emergency.