Flight time home out of Galveston?

TrqoisWtrs

First time cruising out of Galveston. Carnival recommends return flights home out of HOU and IAH leaving after 1:30. I'm assuming one that left at 1:25 out of IAH is okay? Is that port prone to fog? Sailing in October.

Thanks!

Thanks for the info.

So if I go with that flight, then I'll fly into IAH. If I may pick your brain further, :) know anything about the Holiday Inn Express Houston Intercontinental East (on Clayton Parkway)? Just trying to stay near the airport to utilize the transfers the next day. Would prefer a hotel that has shopping/dining within walking distance because I won't have a car. Prefer something under $150 all in.

thanks!

I don't think there's anything within walking distance, but I wouldn't walk anywhere in that area for love or money (nor near Hobby, nor most major airports.) Just not a super safe area in my opinion.

Also, IAH is closer to an hour an a half from Galveston, and that's with no traffic -- which would be a first! You should still be fine with that flight time, but just wanted to give you a better idea of distances.

First time cruising out of Galveston. Carnival recommends return flights home out of HOU and IAH leaving after 1:30. I'm assuming one that left at 1:25 out of IAH is okay? Is that port prone to fog? Sailing in October.

Thanks!

You don't mention which ship or date (only October) - does it make more sense to go to Galveston upon arrival rather than staying near IAH?

Hello, I have lived in the Houston/Galveston area all of my life and I can tell you we get quite a bit of fog in the fall also. Spring (which is can be end of January some years, February and March)

I personally have experienced my worst fog episodes in the Fall, October and November in particular.

Also I think you would be better off staying in Galveston as anywhere you stay near IAH is likely not to be in a nice area. There are better places to stay in and around Galveston that would be safer if you are going to have to walk to eating venues.

In my opinion a 1:25 pm flight out of IAH is a wee bit risky if for some reason disembarking is late due to fog, not to mention you never know when you will find yourself in a horrid traffic jam.

Also you didn't say if you were Faster to the Fun or not. We had it last cruise and we were first off the ship except for the self assist people, so we were off the boat and out at the pier waiting for our ride by 9:15 am but because of a miscommunication our ride didn't get there till 10:30 am. We were seeing people who had just got off the boat at 10:30 from our boat.

If you couldn't get off till later (I don't know how they assign disembarking numbers) and then had to get a shuttle to IAH airport in my opinion that would be cutting it close.

Not to differ, but there is little, if any, fog at the island in the fall.

Spring can see some fog days as air warms over cool water.

The fall sees fog on the mainland due to the cooling air over warm ground, but not around the island. The opposite occurs in the spring.

Don't worry about fog. It is so overblown with only a handful of days a year affected with no affect most years.

60+ years in the area; experienced more fog inland and the hill country in the fall.

There is more a chance of being caught in a traffic than weather.

So I guess there might be fog, or maybe not. lol

I did change plans. Got a room at the Harbor House and a shuttle into Galveston after my flight. Looks like a great location and am looking forward to my first visit.

Moongal - I'm platinum, so I'm not worried about getting off on time; get #1 disembarkation tags. I'm also grabbing a Carnival transfer. So I've done all I can. Whatever happens, happens. :)

Thanks for all the replies. :)

Be Aware at Galveston. The people running the transfers at that port for return to your airport are in over their heads. No direction, no organization and a whole lot of guessing and second guessing. Most importantly, there was ZERO signage.

If I didn't ask questions, I would have been sent to the wrong airport. If I didn't ask more questions, I would have been on a bus going to the wrong terminal and my luggage would have been stuck somewhere in between.

Porters have front of the line privileges to the busses as well (learned this the hard way)... Pay the porters to move your luggage to the bus, they will get you to the right bus the quickest.