Hilton Newark Airport to Carlos Bakery to DoubleTree 569 Lexington

mattR

What are my options for us to go from Hilton Newark Airport to Carlos Bakery Hobooken to The DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Metropolitan 569 Lexington Avenue on Saturday morning Nov 29/14? We will have luggage but are able to handle it fine.

Edited by mattR

I'm assuming that you are spending the night at the Newark Hilton, and want make a stop at the bakery then head to the hotel. Easiest way to do this is a car service. Anything else requires a lot of schlepping.

Edited by Pony Player

I'm assuming that you are spending the night at the Newark Hilton, and want make a stop at the bakery then head to the hotel. Easiest way to do this is a car service. Anything else requires a lot of schlepping.

While I agree there's a lot of schlepping to the trip, that's not what the OP is doing. He's flying into EWR, staying one night at the Hilton Newark Airport Hotel (not the Newark Penn Station Hilton), then staying the next night at the Doubletree Metropolitan in Manhattan. In the process of going from the first hotel to the second he wants to stop at Carlo's Bakery.

MattR...it's going to take me more time than I have at this moment to flesh out the details best way to do this, so I'll get back to it tomorrow morning, but you should know up front that it is not going to be fun trying to make the trip using mass transit. Basically, you'll need to take your hotels' shuttle back to EWR, take the AirTrain to the NJ Transit rail station, take NJ Transit one stop to Newark Penn Station, take a PATH train from Newark Penn Station to Journal Square, transfer to another PATH train headed toward Hoboken, and walk to Carlo's. You'll then take PATH into Manhattan, followed by a subway...maybe more than one subway...look I'll fill in the details tomorrow if really want to do this. ;)

Edited by njhorseman

While I agree there's a lot of schlepping to the trip, that's not what the OP is doing. He's flying into EWR, staying one night at the Hilton Newark Airport Hotel (not the Newark Penn Station Hilton), then staying the next night at the Doubletree Metropolitan in Manhattan. In the process of going from the first hotel to the second he wants to stop at Carlo's Bakery.

MattR...it's going to take me more time than I have at this moment to flesh out the details best way to do this, so I'll get back to it tomorrow morning, but you should know up front that it is not going to be fun trying to make the trip using mass transit. Basically, you'll need to take your hotels' shuttle back to EWR, take the AirTrain to the NJ Transit rail station, take NJ Transit one stop to Newark Penn Station, take a PATH train from Newark Penn Station to Journal Square, transfer to another PATH train headed toward Hoboken, and walk to Carlo's. You'll then take PATH into Manhattan, followed by a subway...maybe more than one subway...look I'll fill in the details tomorrow if really want to do this. ;)

If you don't mind that would be great would you be able to give me a ballpark on the time it would take as well and cost. There will be two of us. Thanks so much!!!

I would also price a cab from PATH at 33rd St to the hotel. My experience with luggage on the subway was not good - lots of walking, the occasional flight of stairs, and narrow turnstiles.

Your best way to get a reliable price is probably call a couple of car services and ask them to price the trip. Different car services price this kind of trip differently and their websites probably can't handle it, as they are designed to do "Pickup at point A, Dropoff at Point B", and once you get away from that mode, all kinds of things could happen.

What are my options for us to go from Hilton Newark Airport to Carlos Bakery Hobooken to The DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Metropolitan 569 Lexington Avenue on Saturday morning Nov 29/14? We will have luggage but are able to handle it fine.

... you should know up front that it is not going to be fun trying to make the trip using mass transit. Basically, you'll need to take your hotels' shuttle back to EWR, take the AirTrain to the NJ Transit rail station, take NJ Transit one stop to Newark Penn Station, take a PATH train from Newark Penn Station to Journal Square, transfer to another PATH train headed toward Hoboken, and walk to Carlo's. You'll then take PATH into Manhattan, followed by a subway...maybe more than one subway...;)

MattR ~ The route outlined by njhorseman, above, should be the cheapest way from EWR to Manhattan by way of Hoboken, although not the easiest. (In travel, cheapest and easiest rarely converge.:eek:;))

However, it can be done. The PATH website will be useful in planning the trip:

http://www.panynj.gov/path/

Carlo's is an easy five- or six-minutes' walk from the Hoboken PATH station. To see the route on Google Maps, use the "Get directions" function and put "3 Hudson Place, Hoboken, NJ" as point A and "95 Washington St, Hoboken, NJ" as point B.

Tip: When exiting the PATH train at Hoboken, walk forward, go through the turnstiles, and then immediately bear left--there's a small elevator that will take you up to street level in the general vicinity of point A on the map, just outside the Hoboken Rail Terminal.

To continue on to Manhattan after making your purchase at Carlo's, return to the PATH station (via the elevator you came up on), board a PATH train going to 33rd Street. From there, you'd probably be best off taking a taxi the rest of the way to the Hilton, as 138east advises--it's a longish walk, and the subways are no fun with luggage.

Edited by Post Captain

Another option is to take a cab to Newark Penn Station from the airport for about $25-30, which is not unreasonable considering that the train costs $8.75/pp just to go from Newark Airport Station to Newark Penn Station. This would cut out schlepping your luggage up to Airtrain, riding out to the airport train station, waiting for the next train to ride to Newark Penn Station.

Thanks to Carol (138east) and Post Captain for kicking in with some details and recommendations. Saves me a lot of work. (In fact Post Captain gave you details about Hoboken that I don't know.)

I agree with the recommendation to take a taxi from the 33rd St. PATH station in Manhattan to the hotel. Taking luggage on the subway is dicey at best...and on the weekend there is no single subway that will get you that close to your hotel (weekdays there is). Also it will be Thanksgiving weekend...probably the single biggest shopping weekend of the year in the US, and the area around Herald Square will be wall to wall shoppers (that's where Macy's flagship store is located)....which means the subways will be even more crowded than usual. It will only cost a few dollars more than the $5 total subway fare for two people.

Carol's suggestion to consider a taxi from your Newark hotel to Newark Penn Station (where you'll get the PATH train) is also worth considering. It will make a three mode trip (hotel shuttle, AirTrain and NJ Transit) into a single mode (taxi), and won't cost a lot more because the train fare from Newark Airport Station to Newark Penn Station ($8.25 per adult for a one stop 6 minute ride) is so outrageously high due to the airport access fee that's tacked onto the price of the NJ Transit ticket.

Give yourself at least an hour to get to Carlo's, even though the actual train transportation times are less, you'll likely find yourself waiting for a train once or twice. The PATH trip from Hoboken to 33rd St. (Herald Square) in Manhattan is scheduled at about 15 minutes.

Edited by njhorseman

To each his own. For Boston the "TV" destination is Cheers. Someone actually asked if there is a "This Old House" tour! We have one of the restored houses in our town, but I can't imagine anyone wanting to come out here just to do a drive by.

I always wanted to do Cheers but my daughter wouldn't let me. 😄I've heard that people are disappointed when they go to Carlos Bakeshop because the people from the show aren't there I would read the reviews on trip advisor and then decide if it is worthwhile spending all the time going there