Carry on Requirements for Plane

Embracedbylife

Taking a princess cruise in May, and we'd like to just take one carry on each (we pack light). That being said, I haven't flown in almost a year, so I am not aware of the new requirements for carry on baggage for the airports. (used to be no liquids, now you can take small baggies or soemthing of stuff??). Anyone know the new requirements so we can just do carry on?

Thanks!

Taking a princess cruise in May, and we'd like to just take one carry on each (we pack light). That being said, I haven't flown in almost a year, so I am not aware of the new requirements for carry on baggage for the airports. (used to be no liquids, now you can take small baggies or soemthing of stuff??). Anyone know the new requirements so we can just do carry on?

Thanks!

Check your airline website for exact details as they do vary. Happy Cruising!!

You can take one quart sized zipper type plastic bag each with liquids in your carry on, three ounces or less. You can not overstuff the bag but it must be able to be zipped closed. Each container needs to be that size. In other words, you can't carry on a bottle in your plastic bag that is half empty but once contained 6 ounces, the bottle has to be 3 ounces or less.

This includes all items listed on your airline website and includes things like lip gloss, mascara, lotions, shampoo, shaving cream, after shave and even things like Advil liquid gels are included.

It would be very hard to put everything you might need for a cruise, even a week long cruise, in just a carry on now. That is unless you don't wear make up, your DH doesn't shave, etc.

They are very strict with this rule and the plastic quart bag must be removed from your carry on and placed seperately on the scanning equipment. IF you have any other liquids, not in this bag, it will hold you up and get you an extra search when going through security. Any excess will be tossed in the trash, no real exceptions except perscription medication.

Glad I stumbled across this. I am flying next week and wasn't sure if I could carry on makeup. If I carry powder makeup and deoderant solids are they okay?

when we flew to Hawaii in June, it wasn't a problem. But things have changed so quickly in our little world that you can't be sure.

Are curiling irons okay or are wires a no-no?

It is a quick trip and I am hoping for an early flight back, so I don't want to check luggage.

Powder is fine, but deodorant solids must be in the plastic bag when carried on and also have the 3 oz rule. I bought one of the small ounce travel size and put the larger one in my checked bags.

Curling irons, blow dryers and other electronic or heated devices with cords were fine.

You can take one quart sized zipper type plastic bag each with liquids in your carry on, three ounces or less. You can not overstuff the bag but it must be able to be zipped closed. Each container needs to be that size. In other words, you can't carry on a bottle in your plastic bag that is half empty but once contained 6 ounces, the bottle has to be 3 ounces or less.

This includes all items listed on your airline website and includes things like lip gloss, mascara, lotions, shampoo, shaving cream, after shave and even things like Advil liquid gels are included.

So, does this mean that I have to take things (lip stick and lotion) out of my purse and place them in the bag?

I can't even fit enough clothes in a carry on to fly to my daughters for three days - I don't know how anyone could pack for a cruise with one carryon!:D

(BTW - the last three times I flew, they were pretty particular about the size of the bags they were letting people carry on - I saw more bags being taken from passengers at the gate than I have ever seen in all my years of flying, so make sure those bags aren't too big).

One extra note: The TSA website says that if you have liquid or gel prescription medication, that can go in an additonal 1 qt. zipper bag, so you could have two bags if bag #1 is prescription only and bag #2 is non-prescription items. If you fall into this category (like I do - I have 3 liquid and two inhaler prescription meds), bring a printout of the TSA webpage that lists the "extra bag for prescription meds" policy. Many of the airport screeners don't know about this, and I've sometimes had to show them the webpage to get through with my meds plus my lotion, lip balm, etc.

So, does this mean that I have to take things (lip stick and lotion) out of my purse and place them in the bag?

Lotion, yes.

I just checked the TSA site and, apparently, lipstick and other solids are okay. They say deodorants made of gel or aerosol must be in the bag, so I assume solid deodorant is okay.

Here is a quote from their site:

"You are permitted to bring solid cosmetics and personal hygiene items as such lipstick, lip balm and similar solids."

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm

They ban gel shoe inserts which most of my arch supports and insoles are. So I guess I'll be looking for new ones and making sure they're comfortable before our trip.

There's a lot more info on their site at the link above.

• 2 weeks later...
Non-liquid non-gel toiletries and meds....

Are they OK in carry on?

I assume that disposable razors etc, should go in checked, yes?

Yes for the first question.

disposable razors - depends. I have them in carry-on before, by accident. They are in the hotel amenity kit (including a tiny scissor as well). The TSA guy said I had a scissor and I said I dont. He found it, but let it thru as it was a 1/2 inch folded one. He did not say anything about the disposable razor which I also had no idea it was there.

Archived