what to do in Freeport

Angus1963

Not much there, trinket shops and a couple bars. Instead of paying for a drink at the bars go to the end of the shopping area where there is a liquor store. Buy as many local brews (2 for $5) as you can drink and walk about 30 yards to seating with tables by the waterfront under a big Gazebo. Enjoy a great view and a very cheap port stop.:)

Freeport is an industrial port. Once you get off the ship there's shopping and food in the immediate area. However, there's no walking around beyond that. Anything you want to do requires transportation.

What kind of things does your traveling party like to do?? I'd hate to recommend something you're not interested in.

Freeport is an industrial port. Once you get off the ship there's shopping and food in the immediate area. However, there's no walking around beyond that. Anything you want to do requires transportation.

What kind of things does your traveling party like to do?? I'd hate to recommend something you're not interested in.

was thinking about the beach but not sure of the costs, safety ect

was thinking about the beach but not sure of the costs, safety ect

We went to Paradise Cove Deadman's Reef and snorkeled. Transporation to/from is included in the price. They pick you up at the port and drop you off there as well. Never snorkeled before in our life, but they showed us how. We had a great time. Well worth it and would do it again. We never felt unsafe.

They also have other activities as well. Check out their web site.

Did you see lots of marine life I.e colorful fish and such while snorkeling in Freeport?

Yes, we did. We saw more marine life near the reef and less as you get away from it. We really were hoping to see a turtle as it's our daughter's favorite, but alas, we weren't lucky enough.

We spent two days on Grand Bahama Island (not on a cruise). We had a rental car so we were able to explore other parts of the island, far away from the cruise crowds.

The island has three national parks. Lucayan National Park is really interesting ... the beaches are very pristine and the underwater caves are definitely worth a visit.

http://bnt.bs/lucayan-national-park/

Within the vicinity of the port itself, there is not anything interesting.

I can vouch for dead man's reef. Excellent day of beach and snorkeling. Their conch fritters are fantastic. The owner of the place is usually there and is from South Florida. He moved there to take over the business which has been in his family for many years. Great guy. The. Have bungalows there also that they rent out. Had a great time.

Sent from my SM-N930V using Forums mobile app

We enjoyed our day pass at Memories that we booked through Island Marketing. It was $85 a person but included drinks, lunch, even a coffee bar with pastries. They also had paddleboards, kayaks and sailboats. Swim up poor bar and nice pool with fountains. Pretty beach. Don't stay on the ship.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a stop in Freeport a couple of years ago and my son and I did a snorkeling tour with Pat & Diane (http://www.snorkelingbahamas.com/). The reef they took us to was amazing. It was one of the best snorkeling trips I've ever been on. The ocean was a little choppy the day we were there but even with that, I am looking for a cruise that stops there just so I can do this tour again.

To echo others, Grand Bahama Island has a lot to see and do, its just that none of it is located at the Freeport area where the ships dock. If you want to step off the ship and be surrounded by options (other than buying made in China trinkets) you are going to be disappointed. Fortunately taxis are very plentiful and the ride into town is short. There are several really good beaches, excellent snorkeling, good places to grab fresh seafood, the Lucayan National Forest and a lot more.

Edited by cruzeluver
more info