Southampton disembark--safe time for Heathrow?

edgee

Arriving Southampton June 3 off of Marina transatlantic itinerary. I see multiple past postings on this board warning not to book Heathrow flights off of Oceania before 1:00 p.m….preferable later. However, when I checked with Oceania, they told me that they consider noon a safe departure time, considering that the ship is due to arrive Southampton at 6:00 a.m. Indeed, if I accept Oceania air without deviation, it is possible I will be booked on a noon flight back to my home airport (IAD.) While i cannot request my air deviation to assure best flights for another six weeks, there are low mileage frequent flyer seats available starting with the noon flight. Given Oceania's advice that noon is a safe flight time, would appreciate any advice from those who have experience with this route.

We docked in Southampton 2 weeks ago. We were off the ship and with our driver by 8:30. It was Saturday morning so there was little traffic. We were flying United and they are in the new terminal. Because there are not many (if any besides United) airlines in that new terminal, we were through security about 10:45 ( at the latest). Obviously day, time and terminal are a consideration, but that said, I think you could easily do it if you were off the ship earlier than we were. We used Smiths for our driver. We got off the ship early and thought we'd have to wait for him but he was there. Just my thoughts

Ceba, Thanks for your response. We are traveling on a weekday. What time did your ship arrive Southampton and what was the earliest time passengers could disembark?

The ship arrived before 6. People started getting off at 7,but we didn't get off till after 8 because I scheduled the driver for 8:30am. There is a fair amount of construction going on in Southampton, but I don't know if it slows things down too much. It didn't for us because it was the weekend.

Edited by ceba

While i cannot request my air deviation to assure best flights for another six weeks

Not so.

You may request an Air Deviation as early as the moment that you book the cruise, unless you are booking SO EARLY that the airline has not scheduled flights for that time period yet.

As you speak about flight times and seat availability, that cannot be the case.

I think you might cut it fine there.

If no traffic, you will be able to make a noon flight.

In my experience the M3 which leads from Southampton to Heathrow might be very busy as it will be rush hour traffic on a week day.

I would go with the 1 pm flight just to be on the safe side.

Safest bet would be the train if you are considering a noon flight.

Andrea :)

Not so.

You may request an Air Deviation as early as the moment that you book the cruise, unless you are booking SO EARLY that the airline has not scheduled flights for that time period yet.

As you speak about flight times and seat availability, that cannot be the case.

so what happened to having to wait for the 270 day out to request a deviation??

Are you saying now you can book as soon as flights are posted by the airlines :confused:

Lyn

Are you saying now you can book as soon as flights are posted by the airlines :confused:

Lyn

270 days prior is when the Airlines typically announce their flights.

It was never an Oceania restriction.

Edited by StanandJim

270 days prior is when the Airlines typically announce their flights.

It was never an Oceania restriction.

Most airlines release the flight schedules 330 days out

Oceania may not have their contracts in place until closer to 270 days out in my experience

Most airlines release the flight schedules 330 days out

Oceania may not have their contracts in place until closer to 270 days out in my experience

Oceania told me that they have a 270 day restriction. Even though in my case schedules are out, Oceania contracts with the airlines are only effective 270 days in advance, according to the agent with whom I spoke.

Lyn

You are absolutely correct Lyn. Airlines generally release their flight schedule and open bookings 11 months or 330 days prior to flights. O does not allow deviation bookings until 270 days prior to your initial flight and reasoning is that while your departure flight would be available at the 330 day mark, your return flight would not be available until 330 days prior to returning. This 60 day deviation delay from normal flight availability covers the length of most trips allowing both flights to be booked together.

There are cases when if airline contracts are not in place that bookings at the 270 mark might be delayed until a contract is in place depending on contract timing.

Oceania told me that they have a 270 day restriction. Even though in my case schedules are out, Oceania contracts with the airlines are only effective 270 days in advance, according to the agent with whom I spoke.

That is the way it has worked for me also

When the 270 day point arrives and a deviation request is made, must it be flight specific? For example, if there is a BA and UA flight back to my home airport at the same time and I do not have a preference can I do an "either one" request based on whichever is cheaper, or do I have to pick one and accept or reject that offer?

When the 270 day point arrives and a deviation request is made, must it be flight specific? For example, if there is a BA and UA flight back to my home airport at the same time and I do not have a preference can I do an "either one" request based on whichever is cheaper, or do I have to pick one and accept or reject that offer?

You deal with the air representative on a one to one basis, so you give them as much information as you have and they will proceed accordingly.

We very often request, for example, an upgrade-able class of airline ticket, and Oceania's contracts with the airlines don't always allow for that; but we have found that the representatives are very good about suggesting alternatives.

You can ask what flights they will give you or you can request specific flights

I usually submit the ones I would like to my TA to submit to Oceania

So far no upcharge ;)

I believe if you use a TA you cannot deal directly with the air dept you must go through your TA ...but what do I know

Lyn

I believe if you use a TA you cannot deal directly with the air dept you must go through your TA ...but what do I know

When one engages an Agent, they are legally regarded to be speaking for you, so it amounts to the same thing.

Secondly, if the situation is complicated enough, it may warrant a conference call.

When one engages an Agent, they are legally regarded to be speaking for you, so it amounts to the same thing.

Secondly, if the situation is complicated enough, it may warrant a conference call.

exactly