Dining Package @ Premier West Quay Southampton

Lots of time before we stay overnight in Southampton pre-cruise. The room rate at the Premier West Quay for 2 people on our date is 78 GBP. The Premier West Quay offers breakfast at 8.50 GBP per person extra and a breakfast/2-course dinner package at 22.95 GBP. I booked the bkfst/dinner option.

From searching this forum, it appears that there will be many pub/restaurant choices close by to this hotel, and I'm wondering about canceling the meal add-on. Pros for keeping it are that there will be 6 to 8 people in our group and we will be arriving from Reykjavik to LGW and taking the train from there directly to Southampton; therefore, we don't have to worry about choosing a dining venue that will accommodate us all in terms of menu choices/seating.

Of course, the cons are that we are dining in a hotel restaurant sans much ambience.

Opinions and alternative restaurant suggestions appreciated, thanks!!

Edited by TMLAalum

I had booked the breakfast option but as I rarely eat very much at breakfast it was not worth it to me so I canceled it

I would rather try some local places & of course if you are out & about you would need to be back in time for dinner

I guess if your cruise has set dining it would get you in practice :D

Maybe someone who has taken the package will comment

For us it was not worth the price

YMMV

Lyn

There's a group (18!) of us from our Roll Call staying at the Premier Inn and other hotels in the area and we've booked a table at a pub nearby. Like you, I'm travelling down by train then going out for a meal. There are lots of options nearby but if you just fancy a casual night at the pub, the Duke of Wellington is only a few minutes walk away and gets good reviews on TA. Happy to give you directions if you want.

We often stay at the Premier Inn but never eat there, although it always looks popular for meals and there's a bar area too. However, we'd never want a big breakfast so we just pop across to the West Quay shopping centre for a coffee / croissant because we'll be on the ship for a decent lunch.

Friday & Saturday evenings unless you book it can be difficult to find a restaurant table for 6 - 8, even in the dining sections of pubs. Other days of the week not usually a problem.

Premier Inn is decent value, but I know where you're coming from - hotels are islands, remote from the local scene. A good selection of pubs & restaurants in walking distance.

JB :)

Might not be bad to stick with the package, given that we are there on a Fri. night. If the Premier offers fish n' chips, we're golden! Also looking into the Marriott Meon Valley as a possibility thanks to a "friends/family" discount, but I think it's rather far afield compared to the Premier West Quay...

I'll google the Duke of Wellington Pub as well!

Thanks everyone!

Might not be bad to stick with the package, given that we are there on a Fri. night. If the Premier offers fish n' chips, we're golden! Also looking into the Marriott Meon Valley as a possibility thanks to a "friends/family" discount, but I think it's rather far afield compared to the Premier West Quay...

I'll google the Duke of Wellington Pub as well!

Thanks everyone!

Marriott Meon Valley is out in the countryside. Nice place, quite swish, but quite expensive food & drink and about a 30 minute drive.

The Duke of Wellington is a small, attractive, inexpensive and historic pub. And just a 5-minute walk.

http://southampton-pubs.co.uk/dukeofwellington/

Or the Red Lion in the High Street, even more historic, and only a couple of minutes further.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186299-d2188432-Reviews-The_Red_Lion_Pub-Southampton_Hampshire_England.html

Plenty of other options too.

Marriott Meon Valley is out in the countryside. Nice place, quite swish, but quite expensive food & drink and about a 30 minute drive.

The Duke of Wellington is a small, attractive, inexpensive and historic pub. And just a 5-minute walk.

http://southampton-pubs.co.uk/dukeofwellington/

Or the Red Lion in the High Street, even more historic, and only a couple of minutes further.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186299-d2188432-Reviews-The_Red_Lion_Pub-Southampton_Hampshire_England.html

Plenty of other options too.

JB, thanks!

I've been on this British Board only for about 2 weeks and I already have found so many good tips from you for our upcoming Southampton Adventure. You make my planning so much easier.

You simply rock!

Miryam

JB, thanks!

I've been on this British Board only for about 2 weeks and I already have found so many good tips from you for our upcoming Southampton Adventure. You make my planning so much easier.

You simply rock!

Miryam

Aw, shucks :o

We have stayed in the PI West Quay and had the breakfast. It was quite a good breakfast and meant we didn't have to go out looking for somewhere. I wouldn't book the dinner, though. As has already been mentioned there are quite a few good restaurants in Southampton.

For the ease of it, I'm still inclined to keep the dinner package. I was able to find the website for the Duke of Wellington, and their menu doesn't have fish & chips which is one of my BiL's favorites. Prices were right, though! If we could make advance reservations at a Southampton restaurant, that would sway me to cancel the Premier West Quay dinner, but keep the bkfst based on other posters' comments.

Any recs for a fish and chips place nearby?

Fish and chips in a pub are not always the best. Normally cooked from frozen ingredients. You need to go to a fish and chip shop or a fish restaurant for the best. Harry Ramsdens was originally a very good fish and chip shop in Yorkshire. Since it has become a chain I don't think it has the same reputation. They even sell frozen HR fish and chips in supermarkets these days.

I would still eat in a local restaurant rather than at any PI restaurant.

Fish and chips in a pub are not always the best. Normally cooked from frozen ingredients. You need to go to a fish and chip shop or a fish restaurant for the best. Harry Ramsdens was originally a very good fish and chip shop in Yorkshire. Since it has become a chain I don't think it has the same reputation. They even sell frozen HR fish and chips in supermarkets these days.

I would still eat in a local restaurant rather than at any PI restaurant.

This forum has seen this debate a time or two. ;)

"Normally" cooked from (bought-in pre-battered) frozen in pubs & cheaper restaurants is perhaps an exaggeration, certainly in this neck-of-the-woods.

But yes it's true in some of them.

Harry Ramsden's fish & chips are still traditional, still excellent. It's that reputation which sells his more-ordinary supermarket offerings.

But the surroundings now are more corporate, like other national fast-food brands.

All of which is irrelevant. Since they moved to West Quay Mall the hours are very different, they only serve til 8pm, even earlier at weekends.

Edited by John Bull

I think your party size does impact on your decision. The convenience of the breakfast/dinner package is attractive. The dinner menu is here:

http://www.premierinn.com/en/admin/restaurants/brands/thyme.pdf.bodyrestaurantinfo.Single.DinnerMenuPdfFile.tmp/DinnerMenu.pdf

so you could take a look and see if something interests you. The Harry Ramsdens nearby would be a very reliable choice for traditional fish and chips. Although the Premier Inn has fish and chips it would be frozen food. You would have the convenience of not having to walk/take a taxi anywhere.

The P.I. Food will be filling reliable chain food. As long as your expectations are set at that level then Im sure your group will be fine.

This forum has seen this debate a time or two. ;)

"Normally" cooked from (bought-in pre-battered) frozen in pubs & cheaper restaurants is perhaps an exaggeration, certainly in this neck-of-the-woods.

But yes it's true in some of them.

Harry Ramsden's fish & chips are still traditional, still excellent. It's that reputation which sells his more-ordinary supermarket offerings.

But the surroundings now are more corporate, like other national fast-food brands.

All of which is irrelevant. Since they moved to West Quay Mall the hours are very different, they only serve til 8pm, even earlier at weekends.

It's a question of taste, but I would not recommend Harry Ramsdens to anyone. It used to be good but now is just a chain, with mediocre standards.

I would also not recommend eating in Premier Inn - unless you are really hungry. Fine as a place to stay but the restaurants are not that good.

Edited by Surreyman

It's a question of taste, but I would not recommend Harry Ramsdens to anyone. It used to be good but now is just a chain, with mediocre standards.

Serves you right for living/working in the big bad city. :p

In Southampton & Bournemouth they're AOK.

Serves you right for living/working in the big bad city. :p

In Southampton & Bournemouth they're AOK.

Lol I don't I just put it as a location, and I have travelled enough to know to avoid them. It all comes down to personal taste.

Thanks for the link to the menu at the Premier. It certainly seems to have something for everyone;)...

I'm going to share the option of in-hotel dinner vs. experiencing other authentic UK options with our group and go with the majority. (I'm usually given free reign as the planner, but I work hard to accommodate the others. My preference would be a local restaurant/pub, but in this case convenience is taking precedence.) If most would like to dine outside the Premier, I'll seek a "volunteer" to do further research into establishments that will please most, take reservations and have that person make the booking!

Thanks for the link to the menu at the Premier. It certainly seems to have something for everyone;)...

I'm going to share the option of in-hotel dinner vs. experiencing other authentic UK options with our group and go with the majority. (I'm usually given free reign as the planner, but I work hard to accommodate the others. My preference would be a local restaurant/pub, but in this case convenience is taking precedence.) If most would like to dine outside the Premier, I'll seek a "volunteer" to do further research into establishments that will please most, take reservations and have that person make the booking!

You are welcome. The £22.95 offer for a 2 course meal with a drink plus the breakfast is good value. Take off the breakfast cost alone and you would be paying £14 pp for a two course meal with a drink. The big advantages are location and choice, Im sure your group will all find something to eat from their wide menu.

Yes, there will be better dining options but you would probably need to decide in a cuisine, Italian, Indian, Chinese etc and would almost certainly pay more.

Ultimately you are off in a cruise the next day with great food choices. If it was me I would be happy with their restaurant and would set my sights on having a hearty meal, albeit not haute cuisine. I would recommend booking ahead given your party size if you do go for this option.

The only other option I would recommend if all your party agrees would be Harry Ramsdens. At least that would give you the authentic Fish and Chips and would be a reliable option.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There will be many nights post-cruise for us in England (including Sutton Hall in Thirsk, KevinYork:)) to experience pubs and restaurants and several nights stopover in Iceland enroute to LGW dining out, so we will keep the meal deal at the West Quay, thanks to input from all.

There will be many nights post-cruise for us in England (including Sutton Hall in Thirsk, KevinYork:)) to experience pubs and restaurants and several nights stopover in Iceland enroute to LGW dining out, so we will keep the meal deal at the West Quay, thanks to input from all.

Simplest is often best, especially with a group.

And there's nothing to stop your group, or some of them, from visiting a pub or two after dinner. :)

Duke of Wellington is the nearest of the good 'uns.

You might need the services of a good translator in Yorkshire.

Eeee, ba gum and ba 'eck thee will un-all. :p

That's not fair 'John Bull' and it's not funny:rolleyes: Ridiculing people with different accents.

Wow.

You gotta lighten-up.:rolleyes:

Especially with a name like turnip eater.:D

Regional accents isn't ridicule, it's the way it is - in't it, me dearie.

Including us Hampshire yokels, Blossom.

Unless you is from the norf of 'ampshire and like works in the Smoke, innit bro.

Or one speaks with a bland boring BBC received-English accent that's from nowhere at all.

I guess you'd have gone apoplectic with my response if the OP had mentioned places in Geordieland or ScouseTown or north of the border. :p

Like I says, me dearie, you need to lighten-up. ;)

Edited by John Bull

Is there any type of travel dictionary published to help us communicate with "the locals" as we sightsee around Yorkshire?

Oh, and what about a Lakes District dialect? We hope to visit there as well!

Is there any type of travel dictionary published to help us communicate with "the locals" as we sightsee around Yorkshire?

Oh, and what about a Lakes District dialect? We hope to visit there as well!

My post about Yorkshire accents was in jest. ;)

As in other parts of the UK you might struggle with a word or two while chatting to "locals" - it's part of the fun of travelling but no big deal, & those you come into contact with tend not to have thick local accents. In fact, in hotels, restaurants etc the staff are from all over Europe, especially eastern Europe, so you'll have a range of accents to contend with..

Doubtless there's a Cumbrian (Lake District) accent, but most of us southerners wouldn't be able to distinguish it from most other northern accents. And it's not a problem. :)

For cruisers flying/sailing from the south & wanting to spend a few days touring, the Lake District is too far to be worthwhile.

But you're going to Thirsk, and from there it's just a couple of hours over the Pennines.

Hiking is the big thing in the Lake District but I'm guessing you'll not have time for that. But do try to fit in some time driving a couple of the mountain passes. And a steamer trip on Lake Windermere, which can also be combined with a steam railway.

http://www.visitcumbria.com/roads/

http://www.windermere-lakecruises.co.uk/cruises-fares

Have you chosen a Lake District base yet?