Family & friend chat app available on Reflection?

StreakedBlonde

We just returned from a Carnival cruise and they had an app you could load on your phone that would allow family and friends to keep up with each other while on board the ship. There was a small fee to load it. I am just wondering if Celebrity Reflection has anything like this?

Thanks,

Karen aka StreakedBlonde

To my knowledge, Celebrity doesn't offer such an app or service. Currently their mobile app is pretty useless, but with rumors of the new ship Edge having some pretty cutting edge (no pun intended) wireless features, I wouldn't be surprised to see an onboard communication app be made available sometime in the not-too-distant future.

Royal Caribbean has an app that allows you to text and call others on the ship. On a recent cruise on the Anthem, my sister and I each downloaded it and paid a small fee for the week. Not only could we stay in touch with each other on the ship, it allowed us to send iPhone iMessages to people not on the cruise. Hopefully, RCI will install it on Celebrity ships.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You don't need the app to send iMessages. It works without it. But only iPhone to iPhone.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yeah, but that requires both phones to purchase internet plans. The app OP is reference that some lines offer allows the users to text without purchasing the internet package. NCL offers this and it was a flat $10 fee to use the app for the length of the cruise. A lot better than $30 pp pd for unlimited internet.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You should try the Telegram App. My parents, who cruise round the world every year (January to May), had me download the app and we can talk to each other no matter where they are. I used it while on our last cruise and it worked perfectly.

• 4 months later...
You should try the Telegram App. My parents, who cruise round the world every year (January to May), had me download the app and we can talk to each other no matter where they are. I used it while on our last cruise and it worked perfectly.

Tell me more about this please.

hi - do you know if the Telegram app works on Royal Caribbean cruises? Specifically, on the Allure of the Seas? Thanks.

It's just another messaging platform. It will work anywhere you have internet or data service on your device. You won't be able to use it without wifi onboard.