North Island vs South Island

gullcruiser

My DH and I will be cruising out of Auckland next Feb. We will be taking time before to explore New Zealand, however, we only will have between 7-9 days. I realize that is not enough time and wondering if we should just do one island. We could fly into Christchurch and then work our way North, or should we just go right to Auckland and explore that island via rental car?

I have read that driving can be slow in spots, and I'm not certain how far we should plan on going.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

Just a suggestion, and a bit of foood for thought.

Fly into Auckland ,or Christchurch , then fly to Queenstown for a few days. Fly back to Auckland and then fly on up to the Bay of Islands for another few days, (perhaps a rental car up there)....then either fly or drive down to Auckland for day or two before the cruise.

Are you cruising NZ too? if so, which ports? It helps when suggesting other places inland which cruise tours won't cover. Each island has its own unique beauty and character so if you can squeeze both in then go for it. With comparatively little time you will probably have to fly some of it rather than drive.

My opinion is based on 3 trips we have made to NZ, visiting both the North and South Island:

With only 7 - 9 days for touring, I suggest you restrict yourself to one island. My preference would be the South Island. I might start in Christchurch and do a driving trip to include Wanaka, Franz Josef and Fox Glacier and Queenstown. That combo should easily fill 7- 9 days.

Thank you for your reply. Could I ask you if you have been to the North Island and if so, why do you prefer the South? Thanks again for your time!

I agree with the recommendation to visit South Island. I've been to both on a two week driving trip from Christchurch to Auckland. The South Island is one of my favorite places in the world.

I would recommend staying in the Queenstown area and making day trips from there. My favorite places include Arrowtown, Manapouri, Te Anu, and the drive to Milford Sound via Homer tunnel. The area around Queenstown has spectacular scenery. This area is not accessible by cruise shore excursions, so you need to see this on a land trip.

You can then fly to Auckland a day or two before the cruise and see the local sights.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

From a tourist perspective (I have done 2 weeks in the North Island and 3 weeks in the South), the South Island wins hands down. Why? The North Island is pretty, the South Island spectacular. Our flight over Mt Cook National Park was fantastic, Milford Sound was stunning, just the trip on the Haast pass from the coast to Queenstown was an experience to this flatlander (my home is one of the flattest places on the planet). Queenstown, one of my best ever destinations in my years of travelling, we want to go back when there is snow.

Right you might be doing the fjords as part of your cruise, but what if the weather is rough, you will miss out - we all know what cruises are like, missed ports due to bad weather is not uncommon.

We are now doing a cruise round NZ and will see things from a different perspective and doing some of the things we missed, and yes 5 weeks in NZ was not enough:)

Suggestion - land in Auckland, fly to Wellington, take the ferry over to Picton, drive down to Queenstown taking in all the sights on the way and then fly back to Auckland to meet your ship. Don't worry about the East Coast as you will pick that up on your cruise. If you have time nip up to Bay of Islands, we flew to their closest airport and took a hire car from there to save time, it was not expensive.

Suggestion - land in Auckland, fly to Wellington, take the ferry over to Picton, drive down to Queenstown taking in all the sights on the way and then fly back to Auckland to meet your ship. Don't worry about the East Coast as you will pick that up on your cruise. If you have time nip up to Bay of Islands, we flew to their closest airport and took a hire car from there to save time, it was not expensive.

Having done both islands pre-cruise, I agree with this suggestion due to the limited time that you have.

Yes, I have visited the North Island twice and the South Island 3 times. As Wastegirl says, the North Island is pretty, but the South Island is spectacular! That's why I recommend the South Island with the limited amount of time that you have.

I agree with the recommendation to visit South Island. I've been to both on a two week driving trip from Christchurch to Auckland. The South Island is one of my favorite places in the world.

I would recommend staying in the Queenstown area and making day trips from there. My favorite places include Arrowtown, Manapouri, Te Anu, and the drive to Milford Sound via Homer tunnel. The area around Queenstown has spectacular scenery. This area is not accessible by cruise shore excursions, so you need to see this on a land trip.

You can then fly to Auckland a day or two before the cruise and see the local sights.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Definitely agree with Mercruiser..... South Island is totally spectacular, stunning, drop dead gorgeous scenery, very friendly locals and so much to do. Use Queenstown as your "inland" base and your 7-9 days will be gone all too soon. But whatever you do, don't miss it !!

We will be doing a 13 day NZ out of Sydney, next March, which includes, Dunedin, Akaroa, Auckland, Wellington, Tauranga, the 3 sounds, Bay of Islands, not necessarily in that order.

Goodness I glad you said not necessarily in that order :) When in Bay of Islands if your port is Pahia or near it, hop on the ferry over to Russell, a delightful spot full of history.

Also if he is still there, at Akoroa, there is a fisherman that comes in each day to the wharf just before lunchtime with his catch, sets up a BBQ on his deck, fillets the fish and his wife prepares fish burgers, delicious.

Good morning Elise, I wasn't looking at the itinerary so doing from memory, but we will do the 3 sounds first, Milford, Doubtful & Dusky, Dunedin, Akaroa, Wellington, 1 sea day, Tauranga, Auckland, & Bay of Islands. Bay of Islands doesn't mention if we stop in Pahia or not, but I have put in for our tour, the Glow Worm caves and for Akaroa, the Willowbank, Ko Tane, Maori Cultural Reserve.

Gay

I also agree with "Wastegirl". I have done a two weeks or cruising around the north and south islands of New Zealand and I love it somuch that I took all the advice of each Information office offered me - that the the one place that a tourist must see in New Zealand is Queenstown. I did an another trip and spend 9 wonder days in Queenstown and loved every minute of it. I agree with "Mercruiser" visit Arrowtown be sure it see the China Camp, and the drive to Milford Sound via Homer tunnel are great. Be sure to get some manuka honey when your in the area. My tour guided recommended the honey. I was getting cold and the honey stopped it in it's tracks! Keep a eye out for the Mt Cook's alpine parrots the Kea. Be sure to have insect repealent if it's Sandflies season.

Enjoy your travels and cruise!

• 1 month later...

Archived