what to pack Canada/New England

shed

hi I am going on a celebrity cruise shortly and don't know what to pack as I've only ever cruised the Mediterranean so am at a loss as what to pack ..will it be warm will it be cool ?? I'm ok for night time ....it's just for days in port not sure short/light top or long trousers and cardigan/ jacket ??

The east coast of Canada in September is really quite similar to Ireland. Can be wet. And it could be sunny but as it will be on the coast, it's going to be breezy. Definitely take layers. The west coast of Canada can be quite warm (80's) into September. There is nothing that makes a Canadian more crazy than to say that "it's Canada, it must be cold."

I assume you are likely sailing, perhaps on the Summit, with one port being Halifax my lovely home city as I see that ship scheduled to be here twice in September.

Yes weather here can be iffy. One day wearing shorts and tank top, next day pants and light coat (with a hood :)). Even the weather reports have trouble forecasting and I typically rely more on looking out the window than even looking at the weather forecast.

I think wendychloecruiser is likely good in saying our weather may match Ireland though not sure rain comparison. Our fall can be the most beautiful weather and time of year, I think you will be safe to pack some light clothes, some layers to add (sweater/sweatshirt) when cooler and definitely a raincoat. Though many around here still carry umbrellas (which I have many moments of amusement watching) I gave up trying to use one years and years ago as the wind just pulls it inside out so my opinion a coat with a hood is best.

Hope that helps and have a wonderful trip.

BTW ... as I look out the window now, 7:30 am, it is very overcast and damp and looks like another day with constant threat of rain showers.

Edited by poffles

I assume you are likely sailing, perhaps on the Summit, with one port being Halifax my lovely home city as I see that ship scheduled to be here twice in September.

Yes weather here can be iffy. One day wearing shorts and tank top, next day pants and light coat (with a hood :)). Even the weather reports have trouble forecasting and I typically rely more on looking out the window than even looking at the weather forecast.

I think wendychloecruiser is likely good in saying our weather may match Ireland though not sure rain comparison. Our fall can be the most beautiful weather and time of year, I think you will be safe to pack some light clothes, some layers to add (sweater/sweatshirt) when cooler and definitely a raincoat. Though many around here still carry umbrellas (which I have many moments of amusement watching) I gave up trying to use one years and years ago as the wind just pulls it inside out so my opinion a coat with a hood is best.

BTW ... as I look out the window now, 7:30 am, it is very overcast and damp and looks like another day with constant threat of rain showers.

Excellent recommendations. We had all sorts of weather but glorious in Halifax! where we spent a wonderful day. Now I always take a fleece with a matching rain jacket. Layers are definitely the answer.

Enjoy - we had a wonderful time. We had an extra day in Quebec because of adverse weather at our proposed port - we were so lucky as it is a very beautiful city.

Just like it is today in Scotland (Old Scotia) :)

Certainly I am going for the layered approach packing just as I do for a trip away here though hoping the warmer weather clothes are seen more than they have been here this year

My Daughter lives in Boston. Their summer is very short. We were there in June and had to go to the mall to buy warm clothes. On another trip in early September, I was smart and took my heavy leather jacket and did fine. It will likely be chilly, but not cold.

And if you care to take a look at today (if you haven't found this already) here are webcams that give you a live look.

http://www.novascotiawebcams.com/en/webcams/halifax-waterfront/

This cam (Halifax Waterfront) will show the ferry's going back and forth across the harbour from Dartmouth to Halifax. Many people jump on for a cheap trip for the fun and the cost is around $2.50 each way (been a while) basically bus fair. You have to get off and then pay and get back on again at each end but nothing to it and they run every 30 minutes all day long.

If you arrow though the cams you will see a closer view of the cruise port and there looks to be a ship docked already. Even the cam above shows the ship if you look in the upper left across the habour.

Enjoy!

I live in Massachusetts. There have been days in September in the 90s and in the 40s. I did a race in October where it was unbelievably hot and other times we've had snow. This time of year can be unpredictable

I suggest downloading a weather app and putting in your ports and start checking it a week out. I also agree with the layers.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have done this cruise a number of times. I always take my LL Bean Black rain coat with the lining in it, my LL Bean 3 in one jacket, a couple of fleeces I bought in Halifax.

We had one day in Sydney, NS that was 80 degrees and the next time we docked in Quebec City it was 53 and overcast, so you really need to bring layers for daytime excursion wear.

We have done this cruise a number of times. I always take my LL Bean Black rain coat with the lining in it, my LL Bean 3 in one jacket, a couple of fleeces I bought in Halifax.

We had one day in Sydney, NS that was 80 degrees and the next time we docked in Quebec City it was 53 and overcast, so you really need to bring layers for daytime excursion wear.

Thanks for that information CruisingChick was thinking the same myself,Just didn't want to pack to much warmer things if I didn't need to

Thanks for that information CruisingChick was thinking the same myself,Just didn't want to pack to much warmer things if I didn't need to

Edited by shed

hi I am going on a celebrity cruise shortly and don't know what to pack as I've only ever cruised the Mediterranean so am at a loss as what to pack ..will it be warm will it be cool ?? I'm ok for night time ....it's just for days in port not sure short/light top or long trousers and cardigan/ jacket ??

I live in Massachusetts. There have been days in September in the 90s and in the 40s. I did a race in October where it was unbelievably hot and other times we've had snow. This time of year can be unpredictable

I suggest downloading a weather app and putting in your ports and start checking it a week out. I also agree with the layers.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for that information ....Layer it is so ,was hoping for a bit of good weather but it seems like Ireland weather is unpredictable

And if you care to take a look at today (if you haven't found this already) here are webcams that give you a live look.

http://www.novascotiawebcams.com/en/webcams/halifax-waterfront/

This cam (Halifax Waterfront) will show the ferry's going back and forth across the harbour from Dartmouth to Halifax. Many people jump on for a cheap trip for the fun and the cost is around $2.50 each way (been a while) basically bus fair. You have to get off and then pay and get back on again at each end but nothing to it and they run every 30 minutes all day long.

If you arrow though the cams you will see a closer view of the cruise port and there looks to be a ship docked already. Even the cam above shows the ship if you look in the upper left across the habour.

Enjoy!

Thanks for that information ....Layer it is so ,was hoping for a bit of good weather but it seems like Ireland weather is unpredictable

not sure if I'm posting replies correctly only new to the forum

Yeah sailing 7th September from Cape liberty on the Summit ,really looking forward to it reading all the reviews it seems like it is a nice area to cruise so I better start packing the layers ..Thanks all for the information really appreciate it

You might want to say which sailing as the first sailing in sept will likely be warmer than the last in October.

That said - I took the last in October last year and never needed more than a light jacket on the ship at sea at night, and in port it varied between shorts and long pants but I don't recall needing a jacket. We went October 5-19.

Of course last year was also unseasonably warm in general in the northeast and canada - and this year it's been unseasonably cooler - so your mileage may vary.

Highly recommend zip off pants, then you'd have shorts/pants all in one to meet your needs.

Oops I see you added the sailing later :-) Either way - layers will be key. You might luck out and have it be warmer.

Also remember this - what someone from Georgia, US considers cold is not the same as what someone from New Jersey, US considers cold. :-)

October 19th last year and I only had a light sweatshirt and barely needed it the entire cruise, but I'm from NJ and used to the cold moreso than someone from a warmer climate :-)

Yeah sailing 7th September from Cape liberty on the Summit ,really looking forward to it reading all the reviews it seems like it is a nice area to cruise so I better start packing the layers ..Thanks all for the information really appreciate it

Come join the roll call and meet many of the people sailing with you.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1799644

As others have said, layers are the answer for this part of the world in the fall. The early morning and evening will be cool and probably need a sweatshirt or sweater, but the afternoons usually warm up so you won't want more than a short sleeved shirt. There are variations up and down, of course, but that would be typical for most of our season. I have another suggestion too that you didn't ask for but I'll throw in ---- this is an itinerary where you'll want to stop and eat in most of the ports, especially if you like seafood. Fresh lobster and lobster rolls, chowder and lobster bisque, clams, oysters, haddock --- you'll find it everywhere and it's hard to get a bad batch. I know a lot of people wait to eat until they get back on the ship, but I really feel like sampling the local specialties is a big part of this cruise.

Not sure if I missed it but I don't think the OP specifically stated the cruise was in September. We did a Canada/New England cruise several years ago in October and it was chilly in Rhode Island and cruising the Sequenay River. Some of the other ports were cold. I wore leather pants and a cashmere blazer over a cashmere t-neck one day and wool pants and a leather bomber jacket another day while in Quebec. It actually started snowing as we were leaving port in Quebec--beautiful!! I had gloves and scarves with me when we left the ship most days. This was perhaps the difference in October weather and September or maybe just an exceptional cold spell, but I would closely monitor the weather close to departure day and adjust my packing accordingly. I don't think I wore anything sleeveless while on board. I would also suggest that it depends on the temps one is use to at home. What I consider cold coming from the desert southwest may not feel cold to someone from Minnesota, but I seem to recall that most passengers and also locals were dressed similarly.

It was the best cruise we ever did!

Edited by Truffle

Canadian here.

Weather in Canada is very unpredictable...

The one thing I can say is the beginning of September will be more like Summer (for us... Again relative) than like Autumn or Winter.

Anyone cruising mid September thru mid October will be in for more of our true Autumn (and leaf change prominent)

Mid to Late October ... Highly unpredictable. Could still be like Autumn... Or well on its way to winter with snow flurries (just in the air... Or stick n stay) as it really isn't all that uncommon for Quebec City to see a snowfall late October (many a Hallowe'en as a kid & parent trying to figure out a Costume with boots and / or a snowsuit :rolleyes::eek: )

November is most definitely cold, damp, grey, dark, wet and winter like. IMO one of the worse months of our whole year.

Pack layers. It is how most of us dress here year round.

If you are coming October & beyond seriously consider a hat (toque) that will cover your ears, gloves & scarf.

Quebec City is gorgeous... But it sits atop a cliff on the Mighty St Lawrence River and the wind can be brutal... A toque (knitted hat), scarf & mitts can be a lifesaver as the weather rolls on from Autumn into Winter.

All that said...

Don't let the weather put you off.

Come prepared for the worse & enjoy the best. The scenery down east in Maine, along with Canada's Maritimes and Quebec is SPECTACULAR. And the people are warm & friendly (lol that is what comes about when our poor ancestors settled here... You have to get along with others to survive the harsh climate and make it thru rough times)

You'll meet a lot of great folks from a lot of different European backgrounds... Pockets of which have held onto otherwise long lost traditions & dialects. Fascinating culture & heritage. The true roots of the beginning of North America dating back to the Vikings (1000 AD) and the Early Eropean Explorers (1500s).

Enjoy.

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Canadian here.

Weather in Canada is very unpredictable...

The one thing I can say is the beginning of September will be more like Summer (for us... Again relative) than like Autumn or Winter.

Anyone cruising mid September thru mid October will be in for more of our true Autumn (and leaf change prominent)

Mid to Late October ... Highly unpredictable. Could still be like Autumn... Or well on its way to winter with snow flurries (just in the air... Or stick n stay) as it really isn't all that uncommon for Quebec City to see a snowfall late October (many a Hallowe'en as a kid & parent trying to figure out a Costume with boots and / or a snowsuit :rolleyes::eek: )

November is most definitely cold, damp, grey, dark, wet and winter like. IMO one of the worse months of our whole year.

Pack layers. It is how most of us dress here year round.

If you are coming October & beyond seriously consider a hat (toque) that will cover your ears, gloves & scarf.

Quebec City is gorgeous... But it sits atop a cliff on the Mighty St Lawrence River and the wind can be brutal... A toque (knitted hat), scarf & mitts can be a lifesaver as the weather rolls on from Autumn into Winter.

All that said...

Don't let the weather put you off.

Come prepared for the worse & enjoy the best. The scenery down east in Maine, along with Canada's Maritimes and Quebec is SPECTACULAR. And the people are warm & friendly (lol that is what comes about when our poor ancestors settled here... You have to get along with others to survive the harsh climate and make it thru rough times)

You'll meet a lot of great folks from a lot of different European backgrounds... Pockets of which have held onto otherwise long lost traditions & dialects. Fascinating culture & heritage. The true roots of the beginning of North America dating back to the Vikings (1000 AD) and the Early Eropean Explorers (1500s).

Enjoy.

Cheers!

Awh thanks for that information really looking forward to it now ..when we 1st started cruising 6 years ago this was the very 1st cruise I wanted to do .....but as Ireland doesn't get very good summers I have always opted for the warmer climate cruised

Not sure if I missed it but I don't think the OP specifically stated the cruise was in September. We did a Canada/New England cruise several years ago in October and it was chilly in Rhode Island and cruising the Sequenay River. Some of the other ports were cold. I wore leather pants and a cashmere blazer over a cashmere t-neck one day and wool pants and a leather bomber jacket another day while in Quebec. It actually started snowing as we were leaving port in Quebec--beautiful!! I had gloves and scarves with me when we left the ship most days. This was perhaps the difference in October weather and September or maybe just an exceptional cold spell, but I would closely monitor the weather close to departure day and adjust my packing accordingly. I don't think I wore anything sleeveless while on board. I would also suggest that it depends on the temps one is use to at home. What I consider cold coming from the desert southwest may not feel cold to someone from Minnesota, but I seem to recall that most passengers and also locals were dressed similarly.

It was the best cruise we ever did!

Thanks am hoping for a bit of warmer weather ..can't wait now

Thank you all for information, really appreciate it. as we are sailing 7th of sept I'm hoping for a bit of warmer weather ..layers it is so,hoping I don't need them although it won't deter me from enjoying myself if I do ... Really looking forward to it now the countdown is on lol

For your encouragement, we did the Canada/NE cruise last year during the final week Sep and the 1st week Oct. The weather was superb, and exceeded our expectations, although the ship captain did say it was the best he ever encountered in the area at that time of year!

From memory temps were approximately:

Boston - mid 20's very sunny

Bar Harbour, Portland, Halifax - low 20's very sunny

PEI - low 20's, cloudy and pleasant

Gaspie - high teens and very sunny, pleasant in sunshine

Quebec - 20ish, very sunny and warm

The worst weather we had was Newfoundland, returning from Quebec, where it was mid-teens with showers and Sydney NS where it was cool and dry. The following day it was St John and back to 20ish, very sunny and warm.

For our N American cousins, the above temps are Celsius and the 20+ temps were a variation between low and high 70's Fahrenheit!

I hope you are as fortunate as we were, one of the best of 30 cruises we have done, it is a majestic part of the world!

Edited by hamrag
Clarification on temp values

For your encouragement, we did the Canada/NE cruise last year during the final week Sep and the 1st week Oct. The weather was superb, and exceeded our expectations, although the ship captain did say it was the best he ever encountered in the area at that time of year!

From memory temps were approximately:

Boston - mid 20's very sunny

Bar Harbour, Portland, Halifax - low 20's very sunny

PEI - low 20's, cloudy and pleasant

Gaspie - high teens and very sunny, pleasant in sunshine

Quebec - 20ish, very sunny and warm

The worst weather we had was Newfoundland, returning from Quebec, where it was mid-teens with showers and Sydney NS where it was cool and dry. The following day it was St John and back to 20ish, very sunny and warm.

For our N American cousins, the above temps are Celsius and the 20+ temps were a variation between low and high 70's Fahrenheit!

I hope you are as fortunate as we were, one of the best of 30 cruises we have done, it is a majestic part of the world!

After posting above, I remembered the following post which I made on our return last year:

The first thing I notice is you are from California, and we live in Scotland. Everything relating to weather is therefore relative to what is your norm!

We too were on the 27 Sep to 11 Oct cruise last month, and were very pleased at the weather we experienced. Incidentally the same 13 Sep cruise weather was poor, so it really is impossible to predict.

In Boston, Portland, our first day at sea, Halifax and PEI the temps were mid to high 70's and sunny (less so in PEI). We enjoyed lazing around the pooldecks on our sea day, and port touring was wonderful in the sunshine.

Gaspie and La Baie, whilst still very sunny, were cooler probably low 60's. Quebec too was fantastic and probably mid to high 60's. The next sea day was gloriously sunny but cool at 60ish. Newfoundland and Sydney wer very cool low to mid 50's. Halifax was wet until noon, then brightened up nicely to mid-60's. St John and Bar Harbour would have been high 60's, but by then we are in the 2nd week October! We spent a couple of days in Boston post-cruise and that was similar to Bar Harbour.

Given that we had "compromised" weather for fall colour, and chosen the later cruise, we were extremely pleased to have the best of both! The captain announced more than once that the weather was much better than normal in these waters.....how fortunate we were, and it is a fantastic itinery.