Repeaters Cruise day by Day review

Emdee

Motu Mahana Day 8

It is the very best cruise ever when the wonderful stop at Motu Mahana comes around not once but twice. The transit into the lagoon that morning was incredibly beautiful. Everybody was well rested unlike day 1 and it was so clear you could see the twin peaks of Bora Bora.

I took the first tender there. A bit coconut obsessed I wandered straight to the coconut area for the freshest tastiest coconut on the table. These were really fresh from Bora Bora and I enjoyed one before leaving for my wallowing spot.

I plunked down along with my family and friends from Toronto, blue floatie in place. I cannot swim and am petrified of water but this floatie is my security blanket as I love the water ( thank you Chuck and Mary for the idea). A number of repeaters did the Tahaa drift snorkel and really enjoyed it. Normally it's hard to give up half a day and leave this beautiful spot but since we were here twice it gave people the opportunity to do so. Before you know it it was lunch time. I think I enjoyed the excellent burger this time though I had to get him to cook it a bit more. For dessert, you guessed it, more coconut.

After plenty more wallowing DH started to talk to the two Captains and the three of us hitched a ride back on their zodiac. This was a master stroke as the moment I reached the cabin the heavens opened and there were some huge showers. Many got semi marooned and from what I hear the lines to return were huge.

At 4.30 that afternoon we were to have a vow renewal ceremony for Colin's cousin's 40 anniversary on the bridge. They were both a sight to behold. She in her actual wedding saree and he in a closed buttoned up jacket with what is known as a Nehru collar. They made an absolutely gorgeous couple. And the ceremony was very beautiful and moving thanks to Capt Toni who read the vows and Steve who read a poem and the other PG staff who made it special. I was so happy it went well and I know they were both overcome by emotion. We stayed on the bridge for the usual champagne and cake and continued to watch the two captains transit the lagoon. It was a nice treat for all. I would advise anyone who is thinking of having the vow renewal to do it. You can have it on the Beach or at the bridge. The cost is very reasonable and I am sure they will have some lovely memories. We did this a couple of years ago and it was great. The one problem here was the photographer. He pushed himself before anyone taking a picture and then charged a pirate's ransom for his pics....his photo packages went into the thousands. Ours three years ago were very reasonable.

Our day continued with cocktails on the 9th deck hosted by our agent Karen of the Cruise Director/Ensemble group. It had the best food of the various cocktails and we tucked into the stuffed jalapeños. All were agog at the bride's beautiful saree. DH Colin continued to tease Pancho about the bottle of habanero chilli sauce which he carried around the ship. Everyone seemed to have a great time. It was a really windy day so I think the party ended early or went so fast...I don't know which. Shirley, Pancho, Pat and Karen , friends from Toronto, all want to come with us on Tere Moana as they enjoyed the trip so much. The more the merrier. I also think they had the flu within the first few days. They have separately emailed me that it was the best trip of their lives.

Dinner at La Veranda was a blur for us. Other than toasting the anniversary couple with a lovely bottle of Champers I cannot remember much else. Sated with good food, wine and tons of coconut I wanted to stagger back to the cabin but knew I could not miss the show that night.

The show that night was Crew Capers and I made sure that I went to it. It was fabulous as usual. It is so creditable that these hard working crew work late into the night practicing and perfecting. Though the quality was uniformly good, the highlight for me was the Charlie Chaplin skit.

Another wonderful day on the PG ....

Ahhh yes the skies opened - BUT for those who waited it out the weather once again became fantastic and after most had left we had much of the motu to ourselves. Hey what's the difference? I was getting wet below the neck - getting wet above it was no big deal.

I did have a laugh at the line to get back to the ship.

Ahhh yes the skies opened - BUT for those who waited it out the weather once again became fantastic and after most had left we had much of the motu to ourselves. Hey what's the difference? I was getting wet below the neck - getting wet above it was no big deal.

I did have a laugh at the line to get back to the ship.

Twin, I have often sat in the rain on MM. We had to get back early anyway because of the Vow renewal so it all worked out. In fact when we were returning to the ship Capt Toni said that there was to be heavy rain but the weather would be perfect for the event ..... and it was!

Just finished reading your report and really enjoyed it. We have wanted to go back to Tahiti on PG, but I was hesitant since it is no longer run by Regent. You have allayed some of my fears, though still concerned about the maintenence issues. As long as the AC in our cabin is functional, we would be fine.

Just finished reading your report and really enjoyed it. We have wanted to go back to Tahiti on PG, but I was hesitant since it is no longer run by Regent. You have allayed some of my fears, though still concerned about the maintenence issues. As long as the AC in our cabin is functional, we would be fine.

Rachel you will be just fine.... I had that hesitation once but honestly some things are better that the Regent days though keep in mind the ship is much older and some things are a bit tired.

I havent yet finished my review likely this weekend shall do the last two days in Moorea and a summary.

Really appreciate your taking the time to summarize the cruise. Having only been on the PG twice, once under Regent and once under the new ownership, I am always curious how those with many cruises under their belt view things.

Perhaps our paths will cross on a future PG cruise. Thanks again.

Moorea Day 8

While BB has the.most beautiful lagoon the most stunning island in the Societies is definitely Moorea. Since the PG stays here for two days there are several options to choose from and we have done a few of them. This trip we decided to book a day room at the Sofitel Ia Ora.

Once more a beautiful day as we sent off for the Sofitel. Located on gorgeous Temae Beach it's our favourite hotel in Moorea. The cost to get there and back has increased by 20% in the last year and is now $100 approx. unfortunately our favourite taxi driver Teva Wilkes was not around and didn't answer his phone so we hopped into a cab and arranged our return as well. It's always safer to arrange a return to the ship as cabs can be hard to come by.

The hotel welcomed us with leis and some delicious pineapple juice. We were once again upgraded to an OWB. Great for DH and DD but for me a long walk to the beach in order to swim. Nevertheless a great day. We ordered room service for lunch and enjoyed feeding the fish part of our lunch. There were a huge number of fish off our dock in myriad colours. Some I had seen before but others were absolutely amazing. Food over I tried them on my fruit basket but no they didn't care for grapes!

Great, great day room and lovely beach and water. I would do this again in a heartbeat.

That evening was Polynesian night and the mamas were aboard making heis and leis. It was lobster night and I certainly had my fill. They were small but delicious especially with the trade mark Tahaa vanilla sauce.

I didn't see the show that night but I understand there were performances from the local folks who had come aboard. Those who did go enjoyed it.

My thanks to Barb Kent for taking over roll call at the first Dr Poole excursion. I understand they were blessed with good sightings.

Edited by Emdee

Yes indeed, taxis prices are a joke on Moorea. I think we are the only two that like the Sofitel and Temae beach the most!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Very sorry to find that they have taken their Croque Monsieur off the menu but their thin crust pizza was good. I noticed this year that the hotel was quite full and they opened the snack bar on the beach. I have never eaten anything there but I recall they had beer/ baguette with ham and cheese etc quite reasonable in the past.

This year I even used their pool for a bit. When I go next I will consider Moorea at the Sofitel if Maupiti doesnt work out. They have a breakfast and dinner package that is very convenient and its easy to pick up lunch fixins at the Champion.

While on one of Miriam's wonderfully organized excursions on Rangeroa we were instructed by the tour operators to eat the fish and reef sharks our leftovers. I went down and began tossing my leftover rice and chicken to the fish which they gobbled up very quickly. I then had a piece of chocolate cake which I tossed into the water. A reef shark swam up and declined it. I thought, "oh, he's not a chocolate lover". Then another swam up and grabbed it and then suddenly spit it out! Several other approached the Soddy piece and declined. I can only assume that sharks don't like chocolate!!!

While on one of Miriam's wonderfully organized excursions on Rangeroa we were instructed by the tour operators to eat the fish and reef sharks our leftovers. I went down and began tossing my leftover rice and chicken to the fish which they gobbled up very quickly. I then had a piece of chocolate cake which I tossed into the water. A reef shark swam up and declined it. I thought, "oh, he's not a chocolate lover". Then another swam up and grabbed it and then suddenly spit it out! Several other approached the Soddy piece and declined. I can only assume that sharks don't like chocolate!!!

The fish in Moorea ate their vegetables... ate the lettuce from Colin's sandwich and loved the chips. The funny part was none of them could eat the chips at first bite. So the little ones would nibble and leave it hoping for it to become soggy. There was this very large ( 3 foot blue fish -could be a kind of wrasse but too light for a Napoleon) who would then swing by and gobble it in his mouth.

Moorea Day 9

Moorea day 2

Fabulous weather in the morning but the last full day of the cruise is always the saddest day of all. That morning I busied myself with packing. Chatted with some friends at the pool bar. Lunch was at Le Grill as we had an afternoon excursion with Dr. Poole.

Dr Poole is no longer lecturing on the ship. That is really sad and I hope the PG brings him back. His excursion was enjoyable but light on the whale watching. We had a couple of good sightings of whales and some rough toothed Dolphins but that was all. He is a wonderful speaker and takes time to teach you about the different species and tell you a bit about his work. What I really did enjoy were the views of Moorea. I had never seen the other side and the view was spectacular. Sometimes sombre and heavy with rain or cloud, sometimes joyous and basking in full sunshine. It reinforced why I love Moorea so much. The beaches around Haapiti looked pretty good too.

Back on board on the second last tender. PG security had a list of who was on shore and cancelled our names as we boarded. DD was to leave on the Friday night flight so spent some time chatting with her while she awaited her dinner in the cabin.

Then the PG farewell on deck with some cheers, some tears and many goodbyes. I spoke briefly to Jacques Tallec , a gem of a Hotel Director then thanked Capt Toni and Dick Bailey.

Somehow I don't recall them singing the PG song out on deck this time. In any event that that evening passed in a blur of emotion. I didn't even hear the speeches, my heart was so full. This repeaters cruise had become my pet project and I put a lot if effort into excursions etc. It's ending was a kind of anti climax for me euphoria for its success didn't hit me until I returned home.

We had dinner at l'Etoile and were served by Elmo's son in law. Some final farewells followed and then Bags out the door.

That night I really enjoyed the O Tahiti E production which was wonderful as usual. I also wished my brother and his wife who had come so far from India for this cruise. He was struck by two things, the warmth of the staff and the beauty of French Polynesia. He could see why this ship, this crew draws us back again and again. I remember years ago my DD telling me not to mention the PG at home as otherwise we wouldn't travel to all the exotic places in the world we wanted to travel to as DH, Colin, would just make us go again and again on the PG.....the Tattoo Boy syndrome.

The very last day.

We were to fly that night on Hawaiian so had to leave the ship by 10 am. Though I understand from others that they are not too finicky about this time.

That morning a last breakfast with hugs to staff and a few goodbyes to other cruisers.A final goodbye to Rex at security - always a big smile and a welcome and goodbye from him. We had booked a a day room at the Meridien and it was worth every cent. A nice place to rest and recharge before the flights ahead. Met Wendy at the Pool. We ate a light lunch at the Meridien and both of us had a nice afternoon nap.

We were lucky to have the airport lounge to relax in and before you know it we were off on Hawaiian airlines. Our much awaited and long planned repeaters cruise was not a bunch of very happy memories.

Our much awaited and long planned repeaters cruise was now a bunch of very happy memories.

Emdee, I'm absolutely sure you meant now... ;) And I am in full agreement with you on the Sofitel. We rented cars with two other couples we had met on our cruise, and stopped there for Happy Hour. What a memorable time we had with our new friends exploring amazing Moorea that day, topped off nicely by coming upon the Sofitel.

Emdee, I'm absolutely sure you meant now... ;) And I am in full agreement with you on the Sofitel. We rented cars with two other couples we had met on our cruise, and stopped there for Happy Hour. What a memorable time we had with our new friends exploring amazing Moorea that day, topped off nicely by coming upon the Sofitel.

Thanks.... I did mean 'NOW" !!

Just had the chance to read your whole report...sounds like you had a wonderful trip!

I do wish that you knew how to post your pictures! I would love to see them!

I have to say, I had a good chuckle at your description of Pia when she learned of your scheduled private tours encroaching on her "territory" - how could you have known that was why she was sour...isn't she always? ;)

I'm glad the trip went well, and as I pointed out to Wendy, though we had a wonderful time in Eastern and Central Europe, we were so busy that I did think about the Motu and just sitting for a few hours! Of course we never could have made a Sept 10 (or earlier!) departure work...so maybe next time! Or maybe the Croatia trip on TM? We found the parts of Croatia we saw very interesting, and I can imagine the coast is beautiful and relaxing! We met friends on our river cruise who had sailed the Med on TM and had great things to say.

Thanks for your report, now see if an old dog can learn new tricks and get those photos up! (And of course you know that's an expression and I am not really calling you an old dog ;)

Just had the chance to read your whole report...sounds like you had a wonderful trip!

I do wish that you knew how to post your pictures! I would love to see them!

I have to say, I had a good chuckle at your description of Pia when she learned of your scheduled private tours encroaching on her "territory" - how could you have known that was why she was sour...isn't she always? ;)

I'm glad the trip went well, and as I pointed out to Wendy, though we had a wonderful time in Eastern and Central Europe, we were so busy that I did think about the Motu and just sitting for a few hours! Of course we never could have made a Sept 10 (or earlier!) departure work...so maybe next time! Or maybe the Croatia trip on TM? We found the parts of Croatia we saw very interesting, and I can imagine the coast is beautiful and relaxing! We met friends on our river cruise who had sailed the Med on TM and had great things to say.

Thanks for your report, now see if an old dog can learn new tricks and get those photos up! (And of course you know that's an expression and I am not really calling you an old dog ;)

At 61 I am an old dog but a happy old dog.....

Emdee, I just learned how to post pics this week. If I can do it, anyone can. I still can only figure out how to do one pic per post, but that is ok. Give it a try. A hint: I am only able to do it from my desktop, not my ipad.

Emdee, I just learned how to post pics this week. If I can do it, anyone can. I still can only figure out how to do one pic per post, but that is ok. Give it a try. A hint: I am only able to do it from my desktop, not my ipad.

Maybe when I go on Crystal in January I will go to IPAD University and learn how to do this.

Also I will be retiring at the end of the week so maybe I will have the time in the future to do a Pictorial of the Repeaters cruise!

At 61 I am an old dog but a happy old dog.....

LOL, is there anything better than a happy dog;)

Maybe when I go on Crystal in January I will go to IPAD University and learn how to do this.

Also I will be retiring at the end of the week so maybe I will have the time in the future to do a Pictorial of the Repeaters cruise!

Congratulations on your retirement! Now there is no excuse not to learn a few new tricks!

Congratulations on your retirement!

• 3 weeks later...

Just want to let you all know that Carol and I will be back in French Polynesia again in Feb., 2015. This time on the RSSC Navigator. We sail from Papeete on the 14th, visit Bora Bora, Rangiroa, Fakarava, Pitcairn Isle, Easter Isle. and Lima Peru. I was these last three ports, plus a "special" we got in the mail, that caused us to chose this cruise. We will, of course, wish it were the PG when we are in French Polynesia, but will be glad we are on a bit larger ship when we do the Pacific crossing part. At least, that's the plan.

Just want to let you all know that Carol and I will be back in French Polynesia again in Feb., 2015. This time on the RSSC Navigator. We sail from Papeete on the 14th, visit Bora Bora, Rangiroa, Fakarava, Pitcairn Isle, Easter Isle. and Lima Peru. I was these last three ports, plus a "special" we got in the mail, that caused us to chose this cruise. We will, of course, wish it were the PG when we are in French Polynesia, but will be glad we are on a bit larger ship when we do the Pacific crossing part. At least, that's the plan.

I really like that itinerary myself and hope to do it myself at sometime.

Richard, isn't this on Mariner? Sounds great, and so soon!