Ft.Lauderdale Hotels recently updated

shoesonfire

We are staying pre-cruise 1 night in FLL in late Oct. and several of the 3 and 4 star hotel reviews indicate that they are outdated and often in need of cleaning. Are there any that are more up-to-date and are not extremely expensive?? We stayed at the Intercontinental in Miami pre-cruise in 2013 and it was great and not over priced considering location, etc.

We were at the Embassy Suites (17th St) last October and they were doing some remodeling to the centrum/lobby area as well as the rooms some new furniture and mattresses. This has always been a favorite and this particular hotel is kept very up to date. Will be staying their again this September (pre-cruise) and find the best pricing using Last Minute Travel Club.

We are staying pre-cruise 1 night in FLL in late Oct. and several of the 3 and 4 star hotel reviews indicate that they are outdated and often in need of cleaning. Are there any that are more up-to-date and are not extremely expensive?? We stayed at the Intercontinental in Miami pre-cruise in 2013 and it was great and not over priced considering location, etc.
When are you looking for a room? Keep in mind October 30-November 1st is Boat Show weekend and rooms will be at a premium.

We will need 1 night 10/26/14. Most Fll hotel reviews mention outdated rooms and occasional less than clean rooms as well. We don't mind paying a little more but concerned we will be disappointed. We got a good rate last December at Intercontinental Miami through LMT. Hoping to duplicate same in Fort Lauderdale.

The hotels in this area are scrutinized to death as Port Everglades gets more cruise ship traffic than any other port. You have everything from the lower budget crowd to the big rollers leaving from cruises in this area . . . everybody's opinion is different.

Reviews are fine for an overall glance at the hotels in the area, but I wouldn't read to much detail into them. Even the Four Seasons has a bad review mixed in here or there . . . you just can't please everybody.

There are some often recommended hotels on this site, and even though you

can have full confidence in them . . . you just never know what your experience will be.

Hotels in the area are consistently updating their rooms because of the amount of traffic they get . . . they understand the gold mine they have being in the area and have to keep on point to help lessen the potential of a reviewer going on a review site to say negative stuff about them and turn off potential visitors.

Couple of things you can do:

Open yourself up to 2 and 2 1/2 star hotels. That gives you access to hotels like the Hampton Inn, Holiday Inn Express and Fairfield Inn. These are ideal spots for pre night cruisers because of the value. They usually include breakfast, airport shuttle and wifi. Most of these hotels are $120 or less.

Hilton Garden Inn is a 3 star running $104. Cambria Suites running $129.

Or like I and others have suggested . . there is a 3 star FLL airport hotel on Priceline with an 8.0 rating is running $72 for that date with all amenities included (airport shuttle, breakfast, wifi, etc.). It's the Hyatt House, a very good pre cruise hotel. If you don't mind the non refundable rate, I'd really consider that as well.

The hotels in this area are scrutinized to death as Port Everglades gets more cruise ship traffic than any other port. You have everything from the lower budget crowd to the big rollers leaving from cruises in this area . . . everybody's opinion is different.

Reviews are fine for an overall glance at the hotels in the area, but I wouldn't read to much detail into them. Even the Four Seasons has a bad review mixed in here or there . . . you just can't please everybody.

There are some often recommended hotels on this site, and even though you

can have full confidence in them . . . you just never know what your experience will be.

Hotels in the area are consistently updating their rooms because of the amount of traffic they get . . . they understand the gold mine they have being in the area and have to keep on point to help lessen the potential of a reviewer going on a review site to say negative stuff about them and turn off potential visitors.

Your comments are very much appreciated and spot on giving us a better feeling into deciding our choice of hotel pre-cruise. Thanks to all for great suggestions.

I'd like to know WHICH hotels had reviews you feel were negative and where you read that. Which hotels do you feel you need to avoid?

Like stated, reviews are funny. You need to stick to the idea of throwing out the very best and the very worst. Too, stick to reviews that were written in the past 3-4 months or so. Also look for where in the hotel a reviewer stayed. Some hotels have rooms that are upgraded and have the views that others don't. (look at rates) If you look at room types for example at Bahia Mar, you will discover the rooms in the tower are the ones with more positive reviews. Same hotel has rooms in the adjoining bldg. that some won't enjoy. Same for the HUGE Sheraton. That hotel has lots of types and locations of rooms.

If you are staying one night precruise, I certainly wouldn't stay at a hotel nearer the airport. If possible stay nearer the port if you have time to enjoy the city. If arriving late and just looking for a bed, then the airport hotels are fine.

Asking for "more up to date" and "not extremely expensive" is vague to say the least.

Edited by eandj

I'd like to know WHICH hotels had reviews you feel were negative and where you read that. Which hotels do you feel you need to avoid?

If you are staying one night precruise, I certainly wouldn't stay at a hotel nearer the airport. If possible stay nearer the port if you have time to enjoy the city. If arriving late and just looking for a bed, then the airport hotels are fine.

Asking for "more up to date" and "not extremely expensive" is vague to say the least.

First, if one takes the time to research several travel online websites and reads their member reviews, you can pretty well get an idea which hotels are more popular for different reasons and the percentage of positive vs. negative helps as well. Also, "it's different strokes for different folks", so I would prefer not to single out any hotel to avoid. You can arrive at your own consensus from the many suggestions on this forum. Obviously, most lodging in a cruise or tourist area is bound to be overpriced to begin with, so apologize if up to date and not extremely expensive is too vague or too much to expect. In any event, with research and the helpful comments on this forum, I was able to narrow the field to two hotels that fit our budget and preferences. Thanks again to those who offered good advice.

We will need 1 night 10/26/14. Most Fll hotel reviews mention outdated rooms and occasional less than clean rooms as well. .

I am just curious to what hotels you are referring to here. As you mention "MOST" , wondering what locations you were looking at.

Which two hotels did you narrow your search to?

I am just curious to what hotels you are referring to here. As you mention "MOST" , wondering what locations you were looking at.

Which two hotels did you narrow your search to?

We were able to get good rates through Last Minute Travel Club and narrowed our choice (both same rate) to Embassy Suites on 17th and Double Tree Gallery One. Actually we now decided on Gallery One. We like the location to walk to shops and restaurants, water taxi right at door, and no pets allowed, which trumped happy hour and free breakfast at Embassy Suites. Perhaps the use of the word "most" is misleading, but it seemed that complaints about rooms being outdated, sometimes dirty appeared frequently on the member reviews for a lot of hotels even in the more expensive range. Felt that Gallery One was one of the hotels that received the least of these comments. We might be disappointed, but it's just one night and we're staying positive. Anyway, it's the cruise we're looking forward to the most and hopin to start it off well.

Both of your choices are very popular with cruisers. You will be in walking distance to anything you would need for the night before. To me it feels kind of like a suburban location.

Not sure if they offer shuttle service to the port. I would rec that you cab it to the port in the morning. Further away than ES, but still if there are two or more of you, you will be better off $$ doing the cab than a per person shuttle.

Enjoy your stay.

Edited by eandj

Thanks again, and yes we are 2 couples so will be taking cabs so we can go at our own time, Funny thing -- just read 4 new reviews for Gallery 1, 2 were good 2 were bad -- go figure!! Will probably email or call hotel prior to our arrival and express our wishes for nice rooms, never hurts to try.

Thanks again, and yes we are 2 couples so will be taking cabs so we can go at our own time, Funny thing -- just read 4 new reviews for Gallery 1, 2 were good 2 were bad -- go figure!! Will probably email or call hotel prior to our arrival and express our wishes for nice rooms, never hurts to try.

:D I think you are overthinking this. Not sure what a hotel clerk will do with the "nice room" request. Take your own advice and think positive. You are not booked at a dive. And unless you book a never- been -used -room, you will find some wear and tear if you look hard enough. Take in the outdoor views and enjoy your stay.

Edited by eandj