Recommend pre-cruise restaurants in Ft. Lauderdale

Ugaaucruisers

Would love some recommendations for restaurants near the beach/port in Ft. Lauderdale. We are staying at the Ft. Lauderdale Marina Hilton and will have the Water Taxi pass. Something unique, seafood, a place locals would patron.

Thanks in advance:)

I'm a local and I like 15th St Dockside Cafe and Coconuts. Both waterfront seafood places near the beach and port areas.
Ditto for me too.

You'd need a car but I also like Catfish Dewy's and Rustic Inn for seafood.

Shooters has also reopened is good and on the water taxi ride.

If you want a place with a locals feel my favorite is the Southport Raw Bar. It's not too far from the Hilton on Cordova Rd. which is the cross street to SE 17th St. at the Embassy Suites. It is across the street from the Quarterdeck restaurant.

• 2 weeks later...

If you want a really unique experience try the Mai Kai in Ft. Lauderdale on US 1 just north of Oakland Blvd. It has been there since 1956. They have happy hour in the Molokai Bar from 5 -7. 2 for 1 drinks and appetizers. Wednesday is free sushi night. You can also have dinner and a show or just dinner. They are closed on Mondays. They are about 7 miles from Port Everglades. Truely worth the experience and also make sure you visit the gardens outside. I will be there on April 13 in the bar celebrating my birthday like I have for the last 5 years.

Renee

Staying at B Ocean Hotel and am looking for a recommendations for restaurants

close by.

I've heard that SAIA in the hotel is very good but I haven't tried it. Other than that, the neighborhood has bars with pub grub, Thai on the Beach, 24 hr pizza/sandwiches at Primanti's. A couple of blocks west there is Mexican La Cantina and Franko & Vinnie's Italian, neither critically acclaimed. If you go a couple more blocks you'll find very good choices: Seasons 52, PF Changs, and Trulucks at the mall, and Jade Palace and Texas Brazilian across the street.

Staying at B Ocean Hotel and am looking for a recommendations for restaurants

close by.

About 6 - 8 blocks south on A1A there is S3 in the Hilton and Steak954 (upscale and awesome) in the W. I haven't been to S3 yet because my diet is limited and the menu doesn't really work for me, but people keep telling me that it is nice and the food is very good; it's a trendy place with an ocean view and ocean breezes.

About 6 - 8 blocks south on A1A there is S3 in the Hilton and Steak954 (upscale and awesome) in the W. I haven't been to S3 yet because my diet is limited and the menu doesn't really work for me, but people keep telling me that it is nice and the food is very good; it's a trendy place with an ocean view and ocean breezes.

Sharon, we finally got to Bokampers on Saturday and it was great! Took the boat and had a blast. It's going to be an awesome place for football this fall:D

Sharon, we finally got to Bokampers on Saturday and it was great! Took the boat and had a blast. It's going to be an awesome place for football this fall:D

I was at Bokampers on Thursday! The wings were meaty and the celery was really fresh, served with very chunky blue cheese! My friend had the beer-battered fish & chips and it was huge!

I also tried the new Shooters last week for lunch. It's completely renovated with trendy decor. Prices are high, similar pricing to Houstons. I had a burger and it was too firm. I was given the choice of thick fries (they weren't crispy enough) or a side salad. The salads looked good. They've converted the adjoining Bootleggers pool into an astroturf lawn with tables and chairs.

Edited by royalcruz

I was at Bokampers on Thursday! The wings were meaty and the celery was really fresh, served with very chunky blue cheese! My friend had the beer-battered fish & chips and it was huge!

I also tried the new Shooters last week for lunch. It's completely renovated with trendy decor. Prices are high, similar pricing to Houstons. I had a burger and it was too firm. I was given the choice of thick fries (they weren't crispy enough) or a side salad. The salads looked good. They've converted the adjoining Bootleggers pool into an astroturf lawn with tables and chairs.

We went to Bokampers a couple of months ago on a Friday night. It was pretty empty when we got there (around 9 pm). We sat outside and the TVs were so loud that we had to shout to hear each other. It would be fine if there was a football game on, and the volume inside wasn't better either. We may go back during football season though, because it is a great place to watch a game, any game.

Although Shooters looks great since its makeover, I wasn't impressed with the menu (the calamari was good though). I found the prices don't really match the food quality, just my opinion. We sat outside at a table and had appies and $12 margaritas, and then after we finished, our waiter said, "Oh yeah, if you sit at the bar, the drinks are 1/2 off." Not very cool, and when we let the manager know, he was kind of ambivalent. I will give them a hall pass though as we were there just a couple days after they opened.

After Shooters, we went next door to Flip Flops and had $3 beer - that's more like it! The burgers and fish tacos are good there.

Gotta love Taco Tuesday at Sandbar Grille (at Sun Tower Hotel & Suites). $2 tacos (beef, chicken, fish) and 2-4-1 Corona/Corona Light all day. Ask for the VIP discount card - 15% off. Can't beat the ocean view either!

Have either of you tried SEA in LBTS? My former neighbors said it was good.

After Shooters, we went next door to Flip Flops and had $3 beer - that's more like it! The burgers and fish tacos are good there.

Gotta love Taco Tuesday at Sandbar Grille (at Sun Tower Hotel & Suites). $2 tacos (beef, chicken, fish) and 2-4-1 Corona/Corona Light all day. Ask for the VIP discount card - 15% off. Can't beat the ocean view either!

Haven't been to SEA but did make it up to Catfish Deweys for oysters and they were really great! Have to put that on my list.

My favorite new find is $5 burger night and happy hour at Tarpon Bend. It is really cheap and pretty good. The Himmershee Public House across the street has fantastic flatbreads and the food there is awesome!!

We went to Bokampers a couple of months ago on a Friday night. It was pretty empty when we got there (around 9 pm). We sat outside and the TVs were so loud that we had to shout to hear each other. It would be fine if there was a football game on, and the volume inside wasn't better either. We may go back during football season though, because it is a great place to watch a game, any game.

Although Shooters looks great since its makeover, I wasn't impressed with the menu (the calamari was good though). I found the prices don't really match the food quality, just my opinion. We sat outside at a table and had appies and $12 margaritas, and then after we finished, our waiter said, "Oh yeah, if you sit at the bar, the drinks are 1/2 off." Not very cool, and when we let the manager know, he was kind of ambivalent. I will give them a hall pass though as we were there just a couple days after they opened.

I love Sandbar for lunch. They have good burgers with a nice side salad. Thank you for recommending it to me or I never would have known it was there!

I've eaten at SEA for lunch and dinner. The food is good, but I don't love eating in tiny restaurants like that (about 6 tables, I think).

Another great neighborhood find is Hot and Soul...I love the manchego mushroom toast and Vegan Yum Bowl.

I love Sandbar for lunch. They have good burgers with a nice side salad. Thank you for recommending it to me or I never would have known it was there!

I've eaten at SEA for lunch and dinner. The food is good, but I don't love eating in tiny restaurants like that (about 6 tables, I think).

Another great neighborhood find is Hot and Soul...I love the manchego mushroom toast and Vegan Yum Bowl.

You are very welcome about the Sandbar recommendation - it's a hidden gem!

Mmmm Hot and Soul sounds divine - we will have to check it out.

We just moved around the corner from SEA, so we are checking out the local spots in the 'hood (not the touristy places like Aruba, etc). I kind of like the smaller restaurants and found that on the last Wed of every month at SEA, they have wine tasting.

On Bougainvillia Ave (1 block from A1A) is Delacaseas, which is only open for breakfast and lunch - it's a cute little mom and pop place - excellent French toast!

We go to Basilic Vietnamese Grill for the Pho soup at least once a week.

Haven't been to SEA but did make it up to Catfish Deweys for oysters and they were really great! Have to put that on my list.

My favorite new find is $5 burger night and happy hour at Tarpon Bend. It is really cheap and pretty good. The Himmershee Public House across the street has fantastic flatbreads and the food there is awesome!!

I just happened to drive by Catfish Deweys earlier this morning - will have to check it out.

Thanks for the tip on Tarpon Bend - I used to love their shoe string French fries - I wonder if they still have them.

I haven't tried Public House yet, so it's on the list next time I'm down there.

Well, it is just about lunch time now ...

You are very welcome about the Sandbar recommendation - it's a hidden gem!

Mmmm Hot and Soul sounds divine - we will have to check it out.

We just moved around the corner from SEA, so we are checking out the local spots in the 'hood (not the touristy places like Aruba, etc). I kind of like the smaller restaurants and found that on the last Wed of every month at SEA, they have wine tasting.

On Bougainvillia Ave (1 block from A1A) is Delacaseas, which is only open for breakfast and lunch - it's a cute little mom and pop place - excellent French toast!

We go to Basilic Vietnamese Grill for the Pho soup at least once a week.

Brunello, Welcome to the hood! Basilic is awesome! If you like wood-fired pizza, Carina's in Sea Ranch plaza is very good. Blue Moon Fish has buy one get one lunch Mon-Fri all year round. And I assume you've had La Spadas subs....it's classic LBTS food! On the other side of the bridge, Picollo is a very nice little restaurant, opened a few months ago.

Brunello, Welcome to the hood! Basilic is awesome! If you like wood-fired pizza, Carina's in Sea Ranch plaza is very good. Blue Moon Fish has buy one get one lunch Mon-Fri all year round. And I assume you've had La Spadas subs....it's classic LBTS food! On the other side of the bridge, Picollo is a very nice little restaurant, opened a few months ago.

Thanks! Yep, we've already had both Carina's and La Spadas, and are Basilic regulars. We have tried Alexsandras Caribbean (good jerk food - next to SEA). We have not tried Blue Moon or Kaluz yet - I am all about BOGO deals! I like the golden brown pancakes at Anglin's. I hear that on Sundays, the "local special" at Village Pump is buy a cocktail and get breakfast for something like $2. I know there are a number of Italian restaurants along Commercial, and I'm always looking for authentic, so I will check out Piccolo. We like D'Angelo wine and tapas place for the meatballs and pizza. I have also noticed at least four German-American restaurants on Commercial - not a big lover of German food, but I'm interested in seeing what they have to offer.

This is such a great thread for our visitors!

Have either of you tried the Cuban place on Andrews that is almost all the way to Sunrise? They have a walk up coffee window and supposedly have the best Cuban in all of South Florida. It's on the left as you are going north.

Thanks! Yep, we've already had both Carina's and La Spadas, and are Basilic regulars. We have tried Alexsandras Caribbean (good jerk food - next to SEA). We have not tried Blue Moon or Kaluz yet - I am all about BOGO deals! I like the golden brown pancakes at Anglin's. I hear that on Sundays, the "local special" at Village Pump is buy a cocktail and get breakfast for something like $2. I know there are a number of Italian restaurants along Commercial, and I'm always looking for authentic, so I will check out Piccolo. We like D'Angelo wine and tapas place for the meatballs and pizza. I have also noticed at least four German-American restaurants on Commercial - not a big lover of German food, but I'm interested in seeing what they have to offer.

I've been going to Village Pump for 25 yrs and never heard of that special, lol! I do like eating breakfast at their Village Grill next door. They are open New Years day when everywhere else is closed.

Check your coupon mailings for BOGO lunch at 101 Ocean Mon-Fri.

I'm not sure how authentic Picollo is, but the food is excellent. The most amazing little Italian restaurant is Romantico on Atlantic Blvd in Pompano...They have a big wheel of hard cheese and they swirl fettucine inside to make a delicious alfredo-like pasta. We share it as a first course. They only have a few tables so you need a reservation. The Snapper Frangelico at Zuckerellos is yummy and they give you hot bread and garlic dip; their prices are very reasonable. I don't know how those German restaurants survive as they aren't busy.

This is such a great thread for our visitors!

Have either of you tried the Cuban place on Andrews that is almost all the way to Sunrise? They have a walk up coffee window and supposedly have the best Cuban in all of South Florida. It's on the left as you are going north.

I haven't been there...I like the food at Fuego Latino on E Commercial.

I'm not sure how authentic Picollo is, but the food is excellent. The most amazing little Italian restaurant is Romantico on Atlantic Blvd in Pompano...They have a big wheel of hard cheese and they swirl fettucine inside to make a delicious alfredo-like pasta. We share it as a first course. They only have a few tables so you need a reservation. The Snapper Frangelico at Zuckerellos is yummy and they give you hot bread and garlic dip; their prices are very reasonable. I don't know how those German restaurants survive as they aren't busy.

If you love Italian - especially Sicilian - food try Mediterraneo Cafe and Grill in Pompano Beach (N. Federal Highway across from the city park). It is family run (dad is the chef, mom the sous chef, oldest son in charge of the wait staff, second son greeter and cashier), all the food is fresh (there isn't even a freezer on the premises), much of it made from scratch (bread, caponata, fettucine, desserts, etc.) and absolutely delicious from appetizers to pastas, specials and desserts. It's been open for about 15 months and reservations - especially on weekends in the high season - are recommended. http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g34571-d2213956-Reviews-Mediterraneo_Cafe_Grill-Pompano_Beach_Florida.html