VNP - Chain of Craters Road vs. Crater Rim Drive

CruisnDeb

We will be renting a car while docked in Hilo and driving to Volcanoes National Park. We plan to drive both the Chain of Craters Road and Crater Rim Drive, but if time doesn't permit I may need to choose just one. For those who have driven both, which would you do if you only had time for one and why?

The ride down to the shore is magnificent and there's lots to see along the way. Crater Rim drive just didn't have as much excitement for us.

I agree that the drive down to the coast is unsurpassed, however the even better news is that this in no way affects the drive on Crater Rim. To get to The Chain Road you have to drive the first 1/2 of Rim Road. When returning, just continue on Rim Road the remaining distance around the crater. Remember that The Chain Road is a dead end road making you return back to the starting point at Rim Road. The only real issue is the total time that you have available, and if you have the time to make the drive down to the coast.

Edited by sptrout

We were thinking of driving first to Punalu'u Beach (black sand beach.) This is the only reason I'm afraid we won't have time to do both. When you drove the Chain of Craters Road, did you make many stops before you got to the Holei Sea Arch? It seems like it's all craters until you get to end. Were there other sites you saw?

We were thinking of driving first to Punalu'u Beach (black sand beach.) This is the only reason I'm afraid we won't have time to do both. When you drove the Chain of Craters Road, did you make many stops before you got to the Holei Sea Arch? It seems like it's all craters until you get to end. Were there other sites you saw?

We made a few stops, but they were brief, just stop look, and take a couple pictures before moving on. Actual driving is what takes the time unless you stop at the end and take a hike on the lava, which we have never done due to medical problems with walking on uneven surfaces.

We drove Chain of Crater Road to the end and walked to where the lava is over the road. On the way back we stopped and hiked to the petroglyphs. After that we drove back up and around the Crater Rim drive to the visitor center to see the crater. One thing that was a surprise for us was how hot it was at the bottom of Chain of Crater road. It was in the 90's at the bottom while at the crater it was in the mid sixties. Take lots of water and sunscreen, there is no shade. Before returning the car we stopped at the Big Island Candies company (wonderful shortbread cookies), which is right by the airport.

Checking my pictures, it looks like it took us an hour to get from the end of the Kilauea Iki hike to the Holei Sea arch at the end of the Chain of Crater Road. Then it was two hours when we were back up on the crater rim at the visitor center looking at the crater.

https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=B7AEC1EBF27ABFAF&id=b7aec1ebf27abfaf%212537

The link above should take you to my large group of Hawaii pictures including the Big Island with VNP. I hope the link works since I am using my tablet not the PC that I would normally post with.

thanks for sharing your pictures... they are beautiful!!! I am going to Hawaii in 12 days... for 12 days.. can't wait. what kind of camera did u use ? again great pictures... aloha

Carter Rim drive was closed at the Jagger Museum (just past park HQ) in February when we were there. Only Chain of Craters is open.

Thanks for letting me know....something I will definitely have to check before we leave or at least come up with an alternative plan "just in case".

thanks for sharing your pictures... they are beautiful!!! I am going to Hawaii in 12 days... for 12 days.. can't wait. what kind of camera did u use ? again great pictures... aloha

Thank you! We have visited the Islands 5 times over the years, so the pictures were taken with a variety of cameras depending on the Island visited and the number of visits. That said, most of the pictures were taken with a Panasonic DMC-FZ20PP digital camera. The older pictures were taken with either an older digital camera, or a Nikon 35mm camera (some were originally slides, then scanned to digital years later).

Have a great trip! I wish I was going back soon; maybe in a year or two.

If you're going soon, and only have time to do either the Jaggar Museum or Chain of Craters, you should definitely go to the Jaggar. We just got back from a week on the Big Island, and the lava in the overlook crater is now visible from the Jaggar's observation deck for the first time. Since we left it's risen further and spilled over onto the floor of Halema'uma'u crater. Check the usgs.gov website before your trip to see if it's still active. Crater Rim Drive is definitely closed. We were told it's been closed since the overlook crater started spewing sulfur fumes in 2008.

Chain of Craters was also an excellent drive. We hiked Kilauea Iki and Mauna Ulu from stops along the road on two separate days. Each hike was about 4 miles and took 90 minutes or so, but both were very worth it. If you don't have time for one of these, then make a stop at the lava tube and then drive on down to the sea arch.

Puna'ulu is also a great stop and it seems like the sea turtles are there most sunny days. You could make this stop less than an hour if you just want to see the turtles and aren't planning to swim.

If you're going soon, and only have time to do either the Jaggar Museum or Chain of Craters, you should definitely go to the Jaggar. We just got back from a week on the Big Island, and the lava in the overlook crater is now visible from the Jaggar's observation deck for the first time. Since we left it's risen further and spilled over onto the floor of Halema'uma'u crater. Check the usgs.gov website before your trip to see if it's still active. Crater Rim Drive is definitely closed. We were told it's been closed since the overlook crater started spewing sulfur fumes in 2008.

Chain of Craters was also an excellent drive. We hiked Kilauea Iki and Mauna Ulu from stops along the road on two separate days. Each hike was about 4 miles and took 90 minutes or so, but both were very worth it. If you don't have time for one of these, then make a stop at the lava tube and then drive on down to the sea arch.

Puna'ulu is also a great stop and it seems like the sea turtles are there most sunny days. You could make this stop less than an hour if you just want to see the turtles and aren't planning to swim.

Can you drive pretty close to the sea arch or do you need to hike/walk to it? If we need to walk, about how long does it take? Appreciate all the information and advice.

Can you drive pretty close to the sea arch or do you need to hike/walk to it? If we need to walk, about how long does it take? Appreciate all the information and advice.

Unless something has changed in the past few years, the road goes very close to the sea arch. A very short, and easy, walk to the arch (one or two minutes). However, we have been on that road three times, and the last time we totally missed the sign on the road indicating where to stop. Therefore, watch carefully.

Unless something has changed in the past few years, the road goes very close to the sea arch. A very short, and easy, walk to the arch (one or two minutes). However, we have been on that road three times, and the last time we totally missed the sign on the road indicating where to stop. Therefore, watch carefully.

Thank you.....I will keep a keen eye on looking for signs :cool:

The road is now closed right at the point where you would stop to walk over to the sea arch. There's an NPS mobile building and a souvenir shop there in addition to the road blocks, so you can't miss it now. Pedestrians were not allowed along the road past the closure point last week because of construction. They're rebuilding the road where the lava previously crossed it because there is concern that the people living east of the old lava crossing will get cut off by new lava flows to their north and this rebuilt road will provide an exit route for them.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks everyone for all the pictures and suggestions. Keep 'em coming! Especially the ideas for things to do that aren't marked.....

First ,Crater Rim drive is almost, always,always closed due to vog so don't consider driving it. And your limited for time on a cruise.

I don't know where you are getting you car but I know where the dealers are.

Some suggestions.

On the way to the park. Mauna loa Macadamia nut factory. Its on the way get in and out fast. Don't waist your time on the tour.

15 minutes or so just beyond the park is Volcano winery it worth the trip if you are inclined. Along with Ancient footprints in lava

Inside the park after you pay stop at the visitors center and see what's going on.

Head to Jaggar's but stop and walk and smell the sulfur vents they are marked

Then go to Jaggars

Leave and head to Chain of craters drive. Highlights are Thurston Lava tube Iki Trailhead. Allow 2 hrs. to hike if you wish.

Petroglyph's are along the way to the end but cuts into your time.

Don't expect o see an arch like in Utah as the y are sea arches and you are on a lave shelf.

Heading back towards Hilo or before heading out or some time I would stop at Kens house of pancakes for local food.[ see the menu its on your way]

Hilo Has a great farmers market worth checking out and as an alternative to buying another t shirt I'd go to "Sig Zanes" down town Hilo for affordable authentic Hawaiian clothing

We've never been on a cruise to Hawaii but have stopped counting on 16 land vacations there.

http://hurtigruten.bplaced.net/2014.12/pages/image1563.html

On this Link you'll fin my pictures of that day. I did both. The Crater Rim is spectacular. I loved tha "action" in and around the crater. But I didn't have enough time to get down into the Kilauea Iki Crater which I would do next time. The road to the coast in my opinion is an amzing drive. You'll get close to "older" Lava Flows and you can see the big impact it did. Interesting and some nice scenes but not a must.