Best beach without sales people

Tennant

We are looking for a nice beach day in Tortola. We are specifically looking for a beach where you are not harassed all day by people selling stuff. My husband likes to snorkel so a place you can snorkel from the beach would be a huge plus.

We are looking for a nice beach day in Tortola. We are specifically looking for a beach where you are not harassed all day by people selling stuff. My husband likes to snorkel so a place you can snorkel from the beach would be a huge plus.

We use

http://www.sugarmillhotel.com/mobile-i.html

Contact them directly for a day pass, and make a booking with the Concierge.

A great day will be had by all

No Cruise Herds or sales people.

Edited by PORT ROYAL

Sugar Mill is a great restaurant but no beach to speak of and no need to pay them for an excursion.

You can get to a great snorkeling beach via the group safari taxi for just $8pp each way and enjoy Brewers Bay. Excellent snorkeling, 1 beach bar with a great burger, and no sales pitch or hustlers! :p

Edited by blue_water

All beaches are open to the public. You are not going to be harassed by sales people on any beach. They all understand a simple no.

Sugar Mill is a great restaurant but no beach to speak of and no need to pay them for an excursion.

You can get to a great snorkeling beach via the group safari taxi for just $8pp each way and enjoy Brewers Bay. Excellent snorkeling, 1 beach bar with a great burger, and no sales pitch or hustlers! :p

For a gorgeous beach with no amenities (except a portapotty!) but also good snorkeling Smuggler's Cove is a nice getaway. You can stop at La Baguette (French-imported deli) for an excellent lunch with drinks or just have lunch at Pussers Pub near the ship after. Taxi is more and you'd need to have the driver return for you.

Brewers is much easier! Cane Garden Bay is another option (same taxi fare as Brewers) and is the busiest beach where most cruisers go but not a good snorkeling beach. But you normally won't find vendors harassing you at any of these beaches.

Edited by blue_water

I understand most people understand a simple no. However I don't want to be asked in the first place. It's important to us to find a place where not enough people go so it isn't worth the time for the sales people to go there.

I understand most people understand a simple no. However I don't want to be asked in the first place. It's important to us to find a place where not enough people go so it isn't worth the time for the sales people to go there.

Tortola doesn't have the vendors like you find at the beaches on other islands, however there can always be one since the beaches are public beaches. CGB will be mobbed while BB and SC not so much so it's just a matter of the experience you want - busy with lots of beach bars, or quieter?

so smugglers cove is the best beach for snorkeling, is it easy to find a taxi or a tour there once in port? What is a rough guess for a taxi cost?

What beach would be the 2nd best choice for snorkeling?

Brewers and Smuggler's are both good but Brewers is more easily accessible and would be your best option as Smuggler's is more secluded and the driver would have to return for you. Taxi to Brewers = $8pp each way with a group on a safari taxi, or $12pp each way for a couple going alone.

We love going to Brewer's Bay Beach! :D

There's very good snorkeling from the beach and has a place for food/beverages, to rent beach chairs, and has restroom facilities.

It's lovely, quiet, and totally beautiful.

LuLu

There's very good snorkeling from the beach and has a place for food/beverages, to rent beach chairs, and has restroom facilities.

LuLu

There you go! :)

• 1 month later...

OCruisers, we are going to Tortola May 23 and are considering going to Brewer's Bay Beach. I've read some reviews saying there were not chairs to sit on and the snorkeling equipment was hard to come by. Did you have any issues? I'm most concerned about our 4 year old having somewhere to sit when she is out of the water. Also, are there any restaurants or places to get food and drink? Thanks!

As LuLu said there are chair and snorkel gear rentals and a beach bar (Nicole's) with a great burger and restrooms. They may have limited snorkel gear for rent but if you get there early you'll be fine as it doesn't get that crowded unless a large group is going.

I'm with you on this. It is not very relaxing to me to be disturbed by vendors repeatedly all day long! I though

Beaches with no amenities don't attract many cruisers and so no vendors, these would be Smuggler's Cove and Long Bay (Beef Island). But all the time we've spent in Cane Garden Bay and Long Bay (Tortola) we've never been approached by a vendor. You go to them for rentals of course.

• 2 weeks later...

LuLu

Does Brewers offer free wifi?

I don't think brewers has WiFi. its far and away one of the nicest locations for a relaxing day and truly amazing snorkeling. we bring our own gear so I can't speak to the quality or availability of the rental gear. the ride over there is absolutely beautiful as well.