Platinum to Elite is a Huge Leap

lovey1103

So do you mean that someone who takes their family on a Princess cruise for the first time and pays for all the cabins is more loyal than a single who takes longer cruises 2-3x a year? Not to mention that if there's another person in the cabin and didn't pay directly for their booking would get 0 loyalty.

Don't forget that it's a loyalty program, not a "who has the most money" program. That would be completely biased towards men since most men are paid significantly more for the same job as a woman. And definitely biased against singles since we're already paying double for a cabin and are unlikely to book mini-suites or full suites.

FYI, HAL gives extra credit for onboard spending.

I didn't mean to ruffle any feathers with my comment. I was just suggesting a possible alterative for those who seem to feel that pax who earn their Elite status on shorter cruises are somehow less deserving than those who earn it on longer ones.

We chose to disembark early and spend the day in Fort Lauderdale rather than deal with turn around.

Mike:)

Anything beats standing around waiting for immigration or waiting to get back on the ship.

Oh, that's ridiculous. No one would ever say that same thing about flying to some glam place like San Francisco or New York for a long weekend. In fact, people actually do that all the time. So why not fly to take a 5-day cruise? For some of us, time and money dictate the length of a getaway, and if we can only do five days, we gladly rush to the airport, jump on the plane, and enjoy every freakin' second of those precious 120 hours onboard. I hope I never find myself so terribly jaded that I would think flying anyplace for a getaway of any length is beneath me.

I guess you view it differently as you're probably still working but for me driving to a port for 3,4 or 5 day trips is out of the question especially when we have the time to cruise longer. Even though there are a few people on this board that disagree I'm still convinced that people in general don't fly in for short trips and they're strictly aimed at people living near the ports & B2B people.

Anything beats standing around waiting for immigration or waiting to get back on the ship.

I guess you view it differently as you're probably still working but for me driving to a port for 3,4 or 5 day trips is out of the question especially when we have the time to cruise longer. Even though there are a few people on this board that disagree I'm still convinced that people in general don't fly in for short trips and they're strictly aimed at people living near the ports & B2B people.

The world is global place now and people fly all the time for very short trips. I lived in California and worked in NYC and flew there every Wednesday and home every Sunday for years. I fly to Costa Rica for dental care and so do 100,000's of other people. I am sure there are a lot of people who cost it out and have figured it is much easier to do 15 short cruises to get to Elite then the 150 days...even though many people on the Princess boards seem to have a hard time believing that....:)

We are platinum but have not sailed as platinum yet. We are even less fortunate than you as can't even sail once a year. I don't understand your comment. We have never felt inferior to those who are platinum or elite and we never felt as if they were getting better service or more attention. As a matter of fact I have never seen anyone waving a card of any color.

Reading though the posts, I'm glad there were some "chuckles" about, need them sometimes. However, I was standing in line getting into the cruise terminal one time and this "group" came in behind us, obviously already haveing a good time. One guy shouted to the person checking paperwork wanting to know where the elite lounge was "waving" his card above his head!!! We just looked at each other and said "oh brother" Another time I was in one of the shops browsing, and these two ladies (wonder if they were with that guy) were picking up items going to check out, and the one lady literly put her card in the clerks face saying "I'm Elite, I get 10% off. I so am not kidding!!

I too am glad there are some chuckles here. Although I do understand what the elite benefits are, and hope I can cruise enough in my lifetime to get them, it matters little to me how people achieved elite status, nor am I impressed by it. Cruising is a wonderful form of travel for me and rising to an upper tier status is not my goal. My only goal is more cruises and I'd gladly cruise even without perks.