Late flight home extend time onboard?

Freckles49

We are sailing on Quest at the end of July and leave the ship in Monaco on 3rd August.

The next sailing leaves Monaco at 11pm.

As our flight home on the 3rd isnt until 18.30 can we have a late check out? Ive read before that you can arrange to have lunch/ Azamara will keep your cases, but I cant see how considering they will be having a new flood of passengers.

We have transfers included in our package and Ive also looked at the coach tour offered but it gets you to the airport early enough for 3pm flights. So that would still mean a 3 1/2 hr wait.

We dont want to waste this last day and the only other option Ive found is to leave cases at Nice Airport left luggage.

Any advice welcomed!

Thanks

Jen

Hi, Jen,

We did this last year from Monaco, and while it sounded good in theory, it ended up leaving a sour taste at the end of the trip.

First, we were told that taxis were very hard to come by and we had to book a private transfer for $200+ dollars (Don't remember the exact amount). We stayed one of the lounges, which was fine, but honestly not that much different from waiting at the airport.

When it was time to leave, NO ONE had any idea where our luggage might be. NO ONE had any idea what we were talking about when we said that we had a late departure. At this point, there were huge crowds of new passengers arriving, with all of their piles of luggage. Security called the purser's desk, they called someone else.....no one could find our luggage. We were getting really stressed by this point. Finally, someone told us that there was a held luggage room and it turned out to be there.

Next, no one could tell us who to meet or where for our transfer. We had to push the wrong direction through the incoming crowd toward the entrance and eventually (after more flagging down of official looking people and repeating our story several times) someone showed up with a card with our name spelled incorrectly. I think he was intended for us, but he said was waiting for other passengers as well. So not sure what the deal was with the expensive "private" transfer. Finally, he agreed to take us to the airport.

In the end, I would much rather have saved the money and just gone and waited at the airport. (We didn't have time for the tour) It was just too disorganized and stressful.

We are sailing on Quest at the end of July and leave the ship in Monaco on 3rd August.

The next sailing leaves Monaco at 11pm.

As our flight home on the 3rd isnt until 18.30 can we have a late check out? Ive read before that you can arrange to have lunch/ Azamara will keep your cases, but I cant see how considering they will be having a new flood of passengers.

We have transfers included in our package and Ive also looked at the coach tour offered but it gets you to the airport early enough for 3pm flights. So that would still mean a 3 1/2 hr wait.

We dont want to waste this last day and the only other option Ive found is to leave cases at Nice Airport left luggage.

Any advice welcomed!

Thanks

Jen

Hi Jen, that's a wonderful itinerary you're going on! I forgot to answer your question about the AzAmazing Evening we had on the Journey last month--it was in Malta, not Marseilles, like yours will be. However, ours was a wonderful evening and I'm sure yours will be too. There were no hiccups with transporting all the guests to and from the event and everything ran smoothly. Azamara seems to have gotten the logistics of their Evenings down pat. ;)

To answer this question though. Not on Azamara but on Royal Caribbean, same boat as you with a late flight out. We took the ship's tour with airport transfer. Our luggage was loaded onto the bus, we took the 3 hour tour, and they dropped us all off at the airport at which time Rob and I checked in our bags for our flight and took the local airport express bus back into town for an afternoon of sightseeing. It all worked out really well.

I am not sure Azamara offers a late debarkation option. I read somewhere on CC that they were trying it out but that was a few years back so who knows if they do it now. In any event, you still have to get out of your cabin in the morning and typically you can stay on board only until noonish. I'd sooner take an excursion with transfer and do some sightseeing!

Azamara do offer a late debarkation option but it varies from voyage to voyage depending on turn around time, customs and port arrangements etc.

We could not be offered the option for our cruise that ended in Lisbon recently for reasons we perfectly understood.

I would suggest you have a plan A and a plan B - can you check your luggage in or store it at the airport and then explore the town at leisure - in any event the late debark option will require you to leave the ship around 1230 so maybe you need to work on Plan B only as it looks like you would still be at the airport too early.

Hi Jen,

On 22 May, our cruise ended in Nice and we had an 18.55 flight back to Manchester (UK). We worried about what to do. In the end, we took the included transfer to the airport. We disembarked at about 08.55. At the airport, we put our cases in the left luggage (14 euros per bag) and caught a bus (no. 98 I think) into Nice for the day. We were surprised that, given that there were quite a number of Brits on that same flight, there was no provision from Azamara for us. There was a tour that ended at the airport, but it was expensive and would have got us to the airport far too early. However, all in all, it turned out to be a good day. I hope that helps.

Hi Jen,

On 22 May, our cruise ended in Nice and we had an 18.55 flight back to Manchester (UK). We worried about what to do. In the end, we took the included transfer to the airport. We disembarked at about 08.55. At the airport, we put our cases in the left luggage (14 euros per bag) and caught a bus (no. 98 I think) into Nice for the day. We were surprised that, given that there were quite a number of Brits on that same flight, there was no provision from Azamara for us. There was a tour that ended at the airport, but it was expensive and would have got us to the airport far too early. However, all in all, it turned out to be a good day. I hope that helps.

I am now reassured! i will definitely plump for the included airport transfer, leave our luggage and off enjoying the day!!!! Jen

Hi Jen, that's a wonderful itinerary you're going on! I forgot to answer your question about the AzAmazing Evening we had on the Journey last month--it was in Malta, not Marseilles, like yours will be. However, ours was a wonderful evening and I'm sure yours will be too. There were no hiccups with transporting all the guests to and from the event and everything ran smoothly. Azamara seems to have gotten the logistics of their Evenings down pat. ;)

To answer this question though. Not on Azamara but on Royal Caribbean, same boat as you with a late flight out. We took the ship's tour with airport transfer. Our luggage was loaded onto the bus, we took the 3 hour tour, and they dropped us all off at the airport at which time Rob and I checked in our bags for our flight and took the local airport express bus back into town for an afternoon of sightseeing. It all worked out really well.

I am not sure Azamara offers a late debarkation option. I read somewhere on CC that they were trying it out but that was a few years back so who knows if they do it now. In any event, you still have to get out of your cabin in the morning and typically you can stay on board only until noonish. I'd sooner take an excursion with transfer and do some sightseeing!

We booked this cruise just last week, a guarantee balcony cabin. Have just had our cabin number and Im very happy with it. Such a treat to be sailing on Quest again....so excited!!!

We are also going to Asia in November and took your advice to book an Aqua class cabin on Celebrity. We fly Emirates Newcastle to Dubai on to Singapore and will stay a couple of days on the way back to visit our son who lives and works in Dubai.

Very best regards to yourself and Rob

Jen and Pete

Hi Jen,

You did exactly what we did, we had a great day people watching, in a beach cafe, roaming around and then, sitting under a canvas awning thing, promenade side at the side of the road, waiting for an accident :eek: I will just point out we had spent 3 nights in Nice, prior to the cruise.

Nice has private ambulances and mad scooter riders in heavy traffic. They are only bumps, very few injuries, but whatever happens, whoever is at fault, all parties run for the hills to avoid the costs of the private ambulance (they bomb about all the time waiting for an accident and charge if they just attend).

We saw an accident and the people got out, off the floor, helped each other, got car and scooter into a side street and stayed hidden until the 4 ambulances turned up and went away. They were there in less than 5 minutes, the 'accidentees' had to wait 25 minutes until it was safe to carry on. It's some weird rule.

Yvonne:)

Edited by HudandPug

Hi,

We are also on this voyage, and have similar flight times!! On previous cruises Azamara have provided a day room/tour to pass the day, and I would hope they would do the same on this occasion, especially for those on flight inclusive deals. If they do not we would be very disappointed for a cruise line aspiring to five star standard, if they abandon passengers at the airport at approx. 1000am. Really not good enough, especially at the prices charged!!

Perhaps the ACC blogging officer can clarify asap.

We booked this cruise just last week, a guarantee balcony cabin. Have just had our cabin number and Im very happy with it. Such a treat to be sailing on Quest again....so excited!!!

We are also going to Asia in November and took your advice to book an Aqua class cabin on Celebrity. We fly Emirates Newcastle to Dubai on to Singapore and will stay a couple of days on the way back to visit our son who lives and works in Dubai.

Very best regards to yourself and Rob

Jen and Pete

Jen, that's what we did on this last cruise on the Journey. Our daughter actually went with us and then we tagged on a few extra days in Italy visiting her. It's very nice having a daughter living in Italy as it makes for a great cruise destination!!! Lucky you to be on the Quest soon. Wish Pete a Happy Father's Day (American version) for us!

Several years ago we stayed a night in Nice after a cruise, with a plan to go to the airport the next day to catch our flight out. The Nice airport is quite a distance from old town Nice & cabs can be quite expensive. Take a look at what might be available to see near that airport as you make your plans.

If Az offers a tour with drop off at the airport at any time reasonable for getting your flight home, that could be a best bet. Loads of options, just be aware of the distance from the airport to the beach stroll ($40 cab ride, I'm guessing).

Have fun! Nice is wonderful!

Hi,

We are also on this voyage, and have similar flight times!! On previous cruises Azamara have provided a day room/tour to pass the day, and I would hope they would do the same on this occasion, especially for those on flight inclusive deals. If they do not we would be very disappointed for a cruise line aspiring to five star standard, if they abandon passengers at the airport at approx. 1000am. Really not good enough, especially at the prices charged!!

Perhaps the ACC blogging officer can clarify asap.

Our flights were booked with Azamara, not via a TA or independently, but they took us and many others to the airport in the morning for an evening flight, as I described above. I can't say I'm happy with these arrangements. While I can understand that they can't cater for all sorts of departure times, if they book a large number of people onto an evening flight, I would have thought they could make some sort of arrangement.

Several years ago we stayed a night in Nice after a cruise, with a plan to go to the airport the next day to catch our flight out. The Nice airport is quite a distance from old town Nice & cabs can be quite expensive. Take a look at what might be available to see near that airport as you make your plans.

If Az offers a tour with drop off at the airport at any time reasonable for getting your flight home, that could be a best bet. Loads of options, just be aware of the distance from the airport to the beach stroll ($40 cab ride, I'm guessing).

Have fun! Nice is wonderful!

The bus from Nice to the airport was easy to get. It runs along the seafront. It cost only 6 euros per person. The hotels near the airport didn't look enticing - mainly budget type.

In the past month, a friend was offered a late® shuttle from Civattevechia to Rome as part of their flight package. They remained on the ship till well into mid-morning.

There were others in the same situation, and that may have dictated whether or not such an offer would be made.

In the past month, a friend was offered a late® shuttle from Civattevechia to Rome as part of their flight package. They remained on the ship till well into mid-morning.

There were others in the same situation, and that may have dictated whether or not such an offer would be made.

Hi all,

i think this is an issue Azamara really needs to address. The end of your cruise should have the same 'wow' factor as the beginning. I have heard that Celebrity, middle price range ships, same owners, put on a hotel room for guests who have a late departure.

Why dont Azamara do this?

Hi all,

i think this is an issue Azamara really needs to address. The end of your cruise should have the same 'wow' factor as the beginning. I have heard that Celebrity, middle price range ships, same owners, put on a hotel room for guests who have a late departure.

Why dont Azamara do this?

Hi again,

If the Azamara blogging officer is monitoring this thread, perhaps time for an official response to clarify the situation AND allow passengers to make appropriate arrangements if being abandoned at the airport early morning

Pleases can you email me at jensloyan@ hotmail.com There are a couple of questions I need to ask you. Thanks

Jen

Hi again,

If the Azamara blogging officer is monitoring this thread, perhaps time for an official response to clarify the situation AND allow passengers to make appropriate arrangements if being abandoned at the airport early morning

Hello Bonnie,

Perhaps you could find out the answer to this post as it appears that it is causing concern to a number of Azamara guests, and does not reflect well on Azamara CC, which many of us support strongly.

• 2 months later...

First time on Azamara, took the free flights option as part of the promotion, disappointed that the flight out of Rome is 1845hrs (BA to Heathrow regular flights during day).

Am getting an indication from some of the replies that it may be an option to remain on the ship until time to transfer to airport. Obviously prepared to make own transfer arrangements.

As per previous requests on this thread if a rep from Azamara could respond please.

We were on the cruise out of Monte Carlo on Aug 3. After we embarked I was chatting to a lady over lunch who was getting off the ship in a couple of hours.

I wondered if she was family of crew but during the early afternoon there was an announcement for the people taking advantage of late disembarkation to leave the ship. We were not sailing until 11pm.

First time on Azamara, took the free flights option as part of the promotion, disappointed that the flight out of Rome is 1845hrs (BA to Heathrow regular flights during day).

Am getting an indication from some of the replies that it may be an option to remain on the ship until time to transfer to airport. Obviously prepared to make own transfer arrangements.

As per previous requests on this thread if a rep from Azamara could respond please.

Late disembarkation if it is available on your cruise permits you to stay on the ship no later than 1pm. I say "if" because as uktog mentioned above it's not offered on every cruise and is dependent upon circumstances of the ship and port. You can't pre-arrange it and there is a limit to the number of slots available. If it is offered you can take advantage of all of the public areas of the ship and they will serve a lunch in Windows from 11.30am. You still need to be out of your cabin by 8.30am. It will be an option on the disembarkation questionnaire that you fill out part way through the cruise if it's running, but I'd go to Guest Relations early on and ask the question.

Phil

It is not a definitive yes or no answer, it really is on a cruise by cruise basis and can change even once you are on board. So I suspect Azamara is not finding it easy to respond to these sorts of queries.

For example in one port I could stay onboard having paid a fee, the same port a few months later we could not stay onboard as the ship was on a tight turnaround leaving at 1600 so could not offer the service

In Athens I have had variable success in staying on board, once the port agents required all disembarking guests to be ashore by 1030, once I was able to stay to 1130 and once I was able to wait until 1330.

Rome can be a challenge because it is a 90 minute drive to the airport so they need to slot you in with the transportation arrangements. Late disembark is easier in ports that are no more than 30 minutes from the airport.

I would have a Plan B ready - we do, either via a shore excursion or a plan to go the airport, leave luggage and go and do something else - you will not be able to check luggage in until 2-3 hours before the flight, it is not like Heathrow when you can check in from 5am with BA regardless of where you are flying to

Good luck

Edited by uktog

Hi;

we disembarked at Monte Carlo on sunday, 3 August this year.

our ta had booked us a transfer to Nice, where we were staying post-cruise, at 11.00 am.

I was a bit concerned because cruiselines often want you off-ship asap .

It turned out that you had to be out of your cabin by 8.00 am and off-ship by no later than 9.30 am.

I told the reception staff of my dilemma and they helped me to get my transfer time changed; otherwise we would have had a very boring wait in a small cruise terminal.

If there were late disembarks available, you would have had to pay or you could take a joint sightseeing tour/airport transfer, but I think it would have got you to the airport by about 12.30 pm.

I agree that cruiselines can make it too clear that it's time to go and I wouldn't have been very happy with this attitude if I'd booked the flight through them and they'd stuck me with a late one!

Many thanks to everyone who replied. Sounds like the best bet is to have a few options available.

From what I've picked up it appears that if there is an option of late embarkation there will be a cost, does anyone know roughly what it will be per person?

Many thanks to everyone who replied. Sounds like the best bet is to have a few options available.

From what I've picked up it appears that if there is an option of late embarkation there will be a cost, does anyone know roughly what it will be per person?

It was $35 per person in July

Late disembarkation if it is available on your cruise permits you to stay on the ship no later than 1pm. I say "if" because as uktog mentioned above it's not offered on every cruise and is dependent upon circumstances of the ship and port. You can't pre-arrange it and there is a limit to the number of slots available. If it is offered you can take advantage of all of the public areas of the ship and they will serve a lunch in Windows from 11.30am. You still need to be out of your cabin by 8.30am. It will be an option on the disembarkation questionnaire that you fill out part way through the cruise if it's running, but I'd go to Guest Relations early on and ask the question.

Phil

Hi all, sorry for leaving you dangling on this while I was on vacation.

Phil and many others have given you the best advice...wherever possible the ship will allow for late dis-embarkations. The Purser will ask you for your travel plans, via form letter, about half-way through the voyage. If they offer, and you accept, the late disembark, it will cost $35 pp. Your luggage goes outside the door by midnight the night before. You are asked to vacate your cabin by 8:30am. There are then various lounge areas available to sit in.

On the British Isles cruise Peter & I opted for late disembark, and sat about an hour reading in the Discovery Lounge. There was water, coffee, and a few snacks available. But after about an hour of sitting on a virtually empty ship my husband got antsy so we decided to go off and fend for ourselves.

This may not be the definitive answer you were looking for, but do know that whenever & wherever the ship staff can accommodate your wishes, they will.

Bonnie