Escape balcony dividers, deck 17

AlexandNessa

As I've posted in the thread linked above, the dividers are supposed to be fire boundaries, but were also required to be openable to allow the firefighters to access from one balcony to the next.

It was always NCL's policy to leave it to the Captain's discretion on how many and where the dividers could be opened, but then a couple years ago decided to take the onus off the Captain with the fleet wide ban on opening. It seems it is widely ignored.

To the OP's question, while the balcony dividers along the sides of the ship are generally openable, you are talking about forward facing balconies, and I cannot say for sure whether these are openable or not, on ships I've worked on, they typically weren't.

Deck 17 and 18 forward facing ones can be opened, not sure about policy and experiences.

Here are some hi-res pics of Essie's delivery days with the dividers opened up for work:

https://img4.fleetmon.com/originals/norwegian-escape_9677076_1199751.jpg

http://theroamingscribe.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/ncl_Escp_Aerial_AtSea_Lft.jpg

Only thing I will add is that on deck 17 of Escape this is the Haven area and some cabins have bathrooms that go all the way to the sea, so the balconies don't connect. For example we were on a couple weeks ago in rooms 17708 and 17710 and while next to each other the balconies didn't connect/weren't next to each other due to the placement of the master bath in the 2 bedroom suite.

As I've posted in the thread linked above, the dividers are supposed to be fire boundaries, but were also required to be openable to allow the firefighters to access from one balcony to the next.

It was always NCL's policy to leave it to the Captain's discretion on how many and where the dividers could be opened, but then a couple years ago decided to take the onus off the Captain with the fleet wide ban on opening. It seems it is widely ignored.

To the OP's question, while the balcony dividers along the sides of the ship are generally openable, you are talking about forward facing balconies, and I cannot say for sure whether these are openable or not, on ships I've worked on, they typically weren't.

Fire boundary... that's laughable. The way those doors are designed they couldn't stop any fire with openings on all sides lol

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Fire boundary... that's laughable. The way those doors are designed they couldn't stop any fire with openings on all sides lol

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

They are not A-60 fire boundaries, but neither are the bulkheads between cabins. The balcony dividers provide a wind break to slow the jump from one balcony to the next.

FWIW - I looked at pics of the the divider on the BA between the DOS and OS. They definitely have a key hole and it would appear that the door would swing to the OS side. The door was about 1/2 of the total length front to back.

Whether they did the same on Escape, not sure.

They are not A-60 fire boundaries, but neither are the bulkheads between cabins. The balcony dividers provide a wind break to slow the jump from one balcony to the next.

I continue to admire your patience. :)

We were on the Escape in Jan. and had 3 balcony cabins in a row on deck 10. We asked to have the dividers open and it was done without any questions. They were open for the duration of the cruise, which made for a much more enjoyable vacation!