Florida Highways and Tolls

luvscruising2007

We will be travelling from Maryland to Fort Lauderdale for our next cruise. We plan to drive. I have been reading a lot of posts and have come away somewhat confused.

1) Is the FL turnpike better to use or is I95 okay?

2) I know the turnpike is a toll road. How can you pay? Was disappointed to learn that they don't recognize EZ pass. Is cash okay? Are coins required or are there manned toll booths?

3) Is I95 a toll road?

Thanks for any responses.

We will be travelling from Maryland to Fort Lauderdale for our next cruise. We plan to drive. I have been reading a lot of posts and have come away somewhat confused.

From Maryland you will only want to use I-95

2) I know the turnpike is a toll road. How can you pay? Was disappointed to learn that they don't recognize EZ pass.

cash can work but is it inconvenient. If you think you will be on the turnpike, do a google search on "Sunpass". You can purchase one for $4.99. Sticks to your windshield and is good thruout Florida...Bridges, toll roads, airport parking. Once you have the Sunpass you set up a credit card (online) which will replenish your Sunpass as needed. Sunpass is accepted everywhere. There are several exits that are Sunpass only, NO cash.
Is cash okay? Are coins required or are there manned toll booths?
Where cash is accepted, booths are manned.

3) Is I95 a toll road?

No tolls on I-95

2) I know the turnpike is a toll road. How can you pay? Was disappointed to learn that they don't recognize EZ pass. Is cash okay? Are coins required or are there manned toll booths?

3) Is I95 a toll road?

We do this drive often from Canada to our vacation home in Fort Lauderdale. Just did it in January.

Take the I95 all the way down to Port St Lucie area then jump on turnpike. If I am not mistaken on I95 it's exit 129 Okeechobee Rd that you will get off at to get onto the turnpike. We find turnpike is the way to go at that point. Always something happening on the I95 from construction, traffic, accidents, who knows so for 6 bucks it's worth taking the turnpike to avoid a bit of the I95. We were thankful in Sept when i95 was closed 6 hours due to an accident :)

Depending where your staying in lauderdale you have a few different exits you can take.

You have two options on paying.

1 - When you cross over from Georgia into Florida stop at the Welcome Center... They sell sunpasses in vending machines.

2 - Just use cash.. When you get on in Port St Lucie you will get a ticket. Just drive the turnpike, then down after Westpalm, I believe it's Lantana (you will see the signs) says pull over to pay... You basically merge off the turnpike and there are probably 15 booths to pay - go to a cash booth, pay them, it's around $6.75

Then you merge back onto the turnpike. Afterwards as you continue on you will have to pay again on whatever exit you take - like 0.25 or 50 cents which you just shoot the change in the bucket and the gate lifts. Sorry I don't know the exact prices for different exits after paying the $6.75 as after we pay we only go a few more exits to Sample and it's 25 cents there to get off.

Edited by jb456

Thank you, both for your detailed responses. I feel much less confused.

Your welcome, everyone will have a different opinion on which route to take. For myself, after driving in Florida 4 months a year since the 80s, the turnpike is our preference. :p

Edited by jb456

I drive to Miami from Canaveral monthly for the last 7 years ... often more frequently ... 95 all the way

"turnpike is better" is a myth

if you can handle the DC Beltway (worked there for 6 years), 95 in Dade/Broward is a piece of cake.

{you're = contraction for you are .... your = possessive tense. One of those things that bothers me ... sorry}

WANNA spend a few bucks unnecessarily .... take the turnpike but be aware that to get to the port you must exit the turnpike and get on 95 .... and I believe I've read here that THIS exit from the turnpike has been converted to ELECTRONIC ONLY .... so if you are in a rental BE AWARE. (MOST toll roads in the Miami area are now electronic only . . . and most highways in Miami - other than 95 - are toll)

Driving from GA to Miami, it depends on where in GA you enter FL. If your short route is 95, do not even THINK about the turnpike ... you'd have to go west to pick up the TP.

My Son went to FSU/Tallas' while we lived in Canaveral (on 95). After a trip or two we found that the I-10 / I-95 route was FASTER than the I-75 / turnpike route thru Orlando . . . even tho "15" miles longer.

Edited by Capt_BJ

We just drove down from northern Virginia (Arlington) to Fort Lauderdale this weekend. I-95 before it meets with the Turnpike has lots of construction - actually no one was doing any work today and only a handful of workers were on the northbound stretch on a Saturday 3 weeks ago - but once you get to Port St. Lucie the construction is over. If you are traveling on a weekend, definitely stay on I-95. There are 5 lanes (sometimes more, I think) and as long as there are no accidents it moves as fast as the Turnpike and won't cost you anything. As Capt BJ said, if you can handle the Capital Beltway you'll do fine on I-95 but I see you're from the Eastern Shore so maybe it will be a challenge? The only time I'd recommend cutting over to the Turnpike (and we make this round trip 2 or 3 times a year) is if there is an accident backing up I-95 or maybe if you are hitting Palm Beach County at rush hour.

Just an FYI - the other area of construction is around Jacksonville - again no workers but lots of barriers - follow the speed limit and the signs -basically stay in the left lane and you'll be fine.

Edited by capriccio

Lived in Northern Virginia and drove the DC beltway and the Baltimore beltway too often. So, I think we will be fine from that stand point. I had planned to drive 95 the whole way, but as I said in the original post, I had become confused. We will be travelling during the week.

Thanks again for all of the good information.

I drive to Miami from Canaveral monthly for the last 7 years ... often more frequently ... 95 all the way

"turnpike is better" is a myth

if you can handle the DC Beltway (worked there for 6 years), 95 in Dade/Broward is a piece of cake.

{you're = contraction for you are .... your = possessive tense. One of those things that bothers me ... sorry}

WANNA spend a few bucks unnecessarily .... take the turnpike but be aware that to get to the port you must exit the turnpike and get on 95 .... and I believe I've read here that THIS exit from the turnpike has been converted to ELECTRONIC ONLY .... so if you are in a rental BE AWARE. (MOST toll roads in the Miami area are now electronic only . . . and most highways in Miami - other than 95 - are toll)

Driving from GA to Miami, it depends on where in GA you enter FL. If your short route is 95, do not even THINK about the turnpike ... you'd have to go west to pick up the TP.

My Son went to FSU/Tallas' while we lived in Canaveral (on 95). After a trip or two we found that the I-10 / I-95 route was FASTER than the I-75 / turnpike route thru Orlando . . . even tho "15" miles longer.

Your info is a bit off - "Driving from GA to Miami, it depends on where in GA you enter FL. If your short route is 95, do not even THINK about the turnpike ... you'd have to go west to pick up the TP."

Not sure why you would say that paragraph as it's not even the proper way to get the turnpike when driving GA to Miami. You don't waste time diverting west or even consider doing that for that matter.

As I mentioned in my other post you stay on the 95 all the way down to Port St Lucie... Here is the VERY FIRST section that the 95 crosses right over the turnpike. You get the turnpike there, exiting the 95 you drive up 1 block (probably 0.4 miles) and the entrance to the turnpike is there.

Anyways do whatever way you wish but my suggestion is to keep an eye on what time it is that you will be hitting West Palm area.. If it's morning or afternoon traffic time take the turnpike in port st lucie.

If it is during rush hour then once you hit West Palm you have the potential to be battling traffic from there, through Lake Worth, Boyton, Boca, Pompano all the way down to Fort Lauderdale.

If taking the turnpike and your going right to the cruise port in Fort Lauderdale -- you would exit I-595/S.R. 84/U.S. 441..... The 595 is the road to the cruise port (what you would take if you were on 95 as well), brings you right past FLL airport, down to the cruises.

As mentioned stop at the Florida Welcome Center the sunpasses can be bought right there in the vending machines and your set.

Edited by jb456

Your info is a bit off - "Driving from GA to Miami, it depends on where in GA you enter FL. If your short route is 95, do not even THINK about the turnpike ... you'd have to go west to pick up the TP."

Not sure why you would say that paragraph as it's not even the proper way to get the turnpike when driving GA to Miami. You don't waste time diverting west or even consider doing that for that matter.

As I mentioned in my other post you stay on the 95 all the way down to Port St Lucie... Here is the VERY FIRST section that the 95 crosses right over the turnpike. You get the turnpike there, exiting the 95 you drive up 1 block (probably 0.4 miles) and the entrance to the turnpike is there.

Anyways do whatever way you wish but my suggestion is to keep an eye on what time it is that you will be hitting West Palm area.. If it's morning or afternoon traffic time take the turnpike in port st lucie.

If it is during rush hour then once you hit West Palm you have the potential to be battling traffic from there, through Lake Worth, Boyton, Boca, Pompano all the way down to Fort Lauderdale.

If taking the turnpike and your going right to the cruise port in Fort Lauderdale -- you would exit I-595/S.R. 84/U.S. 441..... The 595 is the road to the cruise port (what you would take if you were on 95 as well), brings you right past FLL airport, down to the cruises.

As mentioned stop at the Florida Welcome Center the sunpasses can be bought right there in the vending machines and your set.

Who's to say that there might be an accident on turnpike as well. :confused:

We just drove down from northern Virginia (Arlington) to Fort Lauderdale this weekend. I-95 before it meets with the Turnpike has lots of construction - actually no one was doing any work today and only a handful of workers were on the northbound stretch on a Saturday 3 weeks ago - but once you get to Port St. Lucie the construction is over. If you are traveling on a weekend, definitely stay on I-95. There are 5 lanes (sometimes more, I think) and as long as there are no accidents it moves as fast as the Turnpike and won't cost you anything. As Capt BJ said, if you can handle the Capital Beltway you'll do fine on I-95 but I see you're from the Eastern Shore so maybe it will be a challenge? The only time I'd recommend cutting over to the Turnpike (and we make this round trip 2 or 3 times a year) is if there is an accident backing up I-95 or maybe if you are hitting Palm Beach County at rush hour.

Just an FYI - the other area of construction is around Jacksonville - again no workers but lots of barriers - follow the speed limit and the signs -basically stay in the left lane and you'll be fine.

How long did it take to drive down from NOVA?

Who's to say that there might be an accident on turnpike as well. :confused:

Very true :D

But I95 can be a disaster starting at West Palm all the way south at times and likely more chances of things happening on it then the turnpike. Between cars pulling other cars with a chain, rust buckets that should not even be allowed on a road, (let alone highway) with doors held with tape, no hoods, 5 or 6 lanes of cars flying, weaving in and out of traffic, crossing 4 lanes at once, everyone talking / texting on their cells, everyone right up each others a$$, construction, potential for traffic, etc, etc, etc. 7 dollars on the turnpike makes it much more peaceful.

Don't get me wrong we do drive the I95 daily but after a long drive from Canada it's nice to end that long trip peacefully on the turnpike where it's only two lanes, don't really have to bother paying attention to 5/6 other lanes with all the crazies, no idiots pulling cars with chains or rust buckets falling apart, easy to just merge off and on the turnpike into the service stations to take a break, etc.

Each to their own :)

Greetings

If you are coming down the east coast on I-95 then stay on I-95 all the way to I-595 in Lauderdale. It's easy peasy. Many who are not local to the area will suggest leaving I-95 for the turnpike but they fail to realize that the turnpike has fewer traffic lanes and fewer exits than I-95. If there is an accident on the turnpike you could be many miles from an exit. Imagine just sitting at idle waiting for them to get the roadway clear. On I-95 there is at least the possibility of exiting and getting around the accident. Additionally if it is during the week at peak times, I-95 has an HOV lane which only requires 2 people in the vehicle. This lane is uncrowded and moves along nicely.

Good Sailing

Tom

How long did it take to drive down from NOVA?

Back in our younger days we would do it all in one day. It's a little over 1000 miles (Arlington VA to Pompano Beach FL) and would take about 15 1/2 hours including 3 stops for gas (one of which included lunch). Now that we are retired we split it into 2 days of about 7 1/2 hours driving each day with one stop for gas. Walterboro SC is halfway (and there is a wonderful Italian restaurant in the town - about 5 miles from the highway).

Edited by capriccio

This info is great. The area around West Palm sounds like the area on 95 around Springfield, VA. It was a nightmare. I understand after we moved from that area they redesigned the multiple highway interchanges. It can only be an improvement.

I moved from Florida in 1968 and the state was underdeveloped. Disney had not been built yet. Most buildings were under 3 stories.

Our actual plan for the drive down is to take 3 days. We are going to make a stop in St.Augustine for 1 over night then on to Fort Lauderdale. So, based on your info, I will head in to FLL a little later than planned.

We have traveled both routes and we prefer the turnpike. It seems to be more of a relaxed drive for us. It seems safer to us. These are just our thoughts.

We also purchased the sun pass mini for the turnpike which makes it quick and easy. We put 50.00 for our trips on our sunpass account.

Edited by Mr and Mrs CIQ
add sunpass info

Back in our younger days we would do it all in one day. It's a little over 1000 miles (Arlington VA to Pompano Beach FL) and would take about 15 1/2 hours including 3 stops for gas (one of which included lunch). Now that we are retired we split it into 2 days of about 7 1/2 hours driving each day with one stop for gas. Walterboro SC is halfway (and there is a wonderful Italian restaurant in the town - about 5 miles from the highway).

Thanks for the info, Ill check into that. :)

Very true :D

But I95 can be a disaster starting at West Palm all the way south at times and likely more chances of things happening on it then the turnpike. Between cars pulling other cars with a chain, rust buckets that should not even be allowed on a road, (let alone highway) with doors held with tape, no hoods, 5 or 6 lanes of cars flying, weaving in and out of traffic, crossing 4 lanes at once, everyone talking / texting on their cells, everyone right up each others a$$, construction, potential for traffic, etc, etc, etc. 7 dollars on the turnpike makes it much more peaceful.

Don't get me wrong we do drive the I95 daily but after a long drive from Canada it's nice to end that long trip peacefully on the turnpike where it's only two lanes, don't really have to bother paying attention to 5/6 other lanes with all the crazies, no idiots pulling cars with chains or rust buckets falling apart, easy to just merge off and on the turnpike into the service stations to take a break, etc.

Each to their own :)

Gotta love that overpriced gas at the turnpike stations. :eek: